handgun training ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    in looking at the classes being offered for handgun training, I see they have two days usually being offered; day 1 is listed as a Basic/Fundamentals day 1 and then day 2 is the pistol/gunfighter class. Trying to decide if it is beneficial to take the 1st day class as well. Pro's and con's of doing both days? I already have my CHP and pre-Katrina took two classes at St Bernard indoor when Ray was there.

thanks for any input
    Frank

JabbaTheWhat01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Not sure where you're looking. I took the Beginning pistol class with Advantage Group, and it def wasn't a first steps, newbie class. I wasnt slumming by doing "basic." Was well worth it.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Every course I have attended, I approach it with the attitude that I know nothing. I learned this from my time fighting full contact and doing various martial arts. Approach it with an empty glass. You will be so much the better for it. I would recommend finding a SOLID pistol instructor. Rob Leatham, Frank Proctor, etc. If they think it's beneficial to teach you the basics again...you learn the basics again. That's just my .02 on it.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    in looking at the classes being offered for handgun training, I see they have two days usually being offered; day 1 is listed as a Basic/Fundamentals day 1 and then day 2 is the pistol/gunfighter class. Trying to decide if it is beneficial to take the 1st day class as well. Pro's and con's of doing both days? I already have my CHP and pre-Katrina took two classes at St Bernard indoor when Ray was there.

thanks for any input
    Frank

I'm guessing that you're referring to the Advantage Group classes in January... I have taken their Gunfighter I and II classes, but not the Handgun Fundamentals (HF). My understanding is that the HF class is very basic introductory class- as in, "This part of the gun is called the trigger. This part is called, the hammer..." and that it builds into basic safety and weapon manipulation from there. I don't know how much you shoot or what level you consider yourself to be on, but refresher courses are never a bad idea. Personally, I like doing two classes in a weekend because they tend to build on each other. The Advantage Group instructors also tempo the classes to the students, so that if everyone seems to be "getting it" then they may start exploring more advanced concepts more quickly. I'll probably be out there for both classes.

I agree that taking classes with guys like Frank Proctor and Rob Leatham is a great idea, but the national names normally only make it around here once a year or so, and Advantage Group usually hosts the classes for them. We've got what I consider to be a very safe, fun and knowledgeable training company right here in south La.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    thanks for the insight. I was looking both at Phobos and Advantage Group who were kind enough to post their schedules and looking for input from some who have taken their classes. as for my skill level, I try to punch holes in paper each weekend if possible - rifle 100/200 yards and pistol 25 yards. Pre Katrina and Pre trifocals shot service/match rifle and bowling pin pistol matches, static targets with no shooter movement. I have not done three gun, PPC or IDPA yet. I wanted to take a few courses like the Gunfighter I/II or Basic/Intermediate pistol, shotgun, carbine and AK to get my skill level up.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    thanks for the insight. I was looking both at Phobos and Advantage Group who were kind enough to post their schedules and looking for input from some who have taken their classes. as for my skill level, I try to punch holes in paper each weekend if possible - rifle 100/200 yards and pistol 25 yards. Pre Katrina and Pre trifocals shot service/match rifle and bowling pin pistol matches, static targets with no shooter movement. I have not done three gun, PPC or IDPA yet. I wanted to take a few courses like the Gunfighter I/II or Basic/Intermediate pistol, shotgun, carbine and AK to get my skill level up.

Cool! Sounds like you've got a leg up on it all. Hope to see you out there!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Yep, it sounds like you've got a good handle on the fundamentals, I'd recommend starting with Gunfighter I/equivalent and going from there.

Sigfan

Queso is the Answer
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    The Wank of JP
    Granted I'm just speaking on behalf of Phobos, but I'm sure Advantage Group is similar. If you have a sound grasp of the 7 fundamentals and good manipulation of your weapon (type 1 & 2 malfunctions, reloads, draw stoke, etc...). If your basic gear is worked out, then I'd say pass on Basic/ Gunfighter 1 and head to the next level. If any of the above is unknown to you or could use some work, then starting at the beginning is NEVER a bad idea. Let me know here or in PM if there are any questions I can answer about what our Basic course contains.

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk & misspellings thanks to iPhone

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    thanks Nick, will pm with any additional questions. Since it has been a few years since any formal classes, I may start with the basic

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom