Handloading beginner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I've searched this set of threads for awhile and can't seem to find my answer so I just added a new thread.

With the prices of ammo going way up over the last few years, and the fact that I'll be moving into an area at the end of the year where I'll be able to use handloads...I figured I'd begin learning on the topic.

Anyone have a good beginner's book that I can read that is aimed at reloading handgun rounds? I pretty much have all the calibers covered. :D Just need a good primer book to get me started in the right direction. I do plan on buying a Dillon press and quality materials, but I am one of the guys who likes to read the manual first a few times before doing something.

cheers

~rc~

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA

Mad Martigan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Below Me
    I'm starting out as well. I bought one of those "One Book / One Caliber" manuals from cabelas for $6 and it has far more info than the Speer book I bought. Fast way to get a lot of info for 1 caliber.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Thanks for the help. Currently I can get the "ABCs" "Hornady" and "Lee" manuals on Amazon for $69 as a bundle, good deal?

Also it appears there are two different books titled "ABCs of reloading" one by James and one by Chevalier.

~rc~

Answered my own question, James has written the newer version.

Last edited:

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I understand, and that is a price for 3 manuals. I'll be starting off with handgun cartridges. We shoot mostly: .380, 9mm, .40 and .38 special.

~rc~

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Do you know anyone currently loading? The rolling your own crowd is always willing to share knowledge and experience. Many will also allow you to try your hand on their equipment. I agree with LSP about the loading manual purchase. ABC's of Reloading is a great primer, so start there. A few things to consider before purchasing anything further are: Do you have an area you can dedicate to reloading? Do you have the necessary free time to invest (the hobby is pretty much a solitary one)? How much do your current shoot? If your total round count is only 1k-2k a year or less, it will take a few years to realize any savings when you figure your equipment cost (I for one never did as I saw it like a wood worker buying a table saw).

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I ended up getting the ABC's book and I'm going to keep my eyes out for these other books at shows and such. The saving money on shooting is one point with me, but also I just got my C&R license and I would like to have the knowledge to load ammunition for guns that I may come across that is perhaps not mainstream. Also I am a person who likes to "make" or produce things. While others are content to buy at the market, over the years I have learned several skills that have proven useful at times. The way I figure it, is you can never know "too many" skills.

Once again, thanks for all the tips. I'll be posting more in the future after I have time to digest the book.

~rc~

titleguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    If I ever run across an old RCBS 510 in good shape...

That's what I'm using. I think my dad bought it sometime around '68-'70. He lost interest in reloading soon thereafter and boxed all his stuff up in the original boxes and put it away. It's like a time capsule. I just started using it. Glad to know it's a good piece.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Well I had been looking at the Dillon line. Would you say that the ...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=646599
    would be a better choice then the ...

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25237/catid/1/Dillon_Square_Deal___039_B__039_

They both seem to be in the same price range, minus the fact that the RCBS is on sale now at Midway. And the RCBS is a single and the Dillon is a progressive.

I understand your point and I've always been of the mind to buy a tool that will allow for many years of use, even though it costs more up front. You get what you pay for in most cases.

~rc~

ok, after further inspection I see that the RCBS comparison link I put up was a kit ... but I think I still like the idea of the progressive.

Last edited:

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    After I had awhile to sit and read the details I realized that the square deal would only do handgun cartridges. I figure, if I'm going to put out the money, I might as well and put out a little more and get a press that will also do rifle as well. I'll continue to check into the ones you had suggested.

~rc~

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i suggest picking up a cheap lee single stage to start with. the presses usually run $35-$40.

dont dump a bunch of money into reloading before you decide whether or not you enjoy it.

a guy i work with dumped $1500 into a dillon 650 and accessories. he used it about 20 times and decided he didnt like reloading. called it tedious. he took a $300 loss selling the stuff.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    So the first thing that caught my eye when I opened the ABC's of reloading book to start reading it, was the fact that the author had blown both of his hands off and had hooks. Made an interesting first thought when starting to read about reloading.

~rc~

Top Bottom