Happenings in the grand state of MS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    We have several of us on here that are either actively involved with EMS, or certified but not active in the field.

Mississippi's EMS system has been pretty slacking in terms of prehospital care. We have awesome things like the STEMI, stroke, and trauma systems- but then you look at our protocols and whatnot and its just not impressive.

However, in the past few months the state has approved

-Critical Care licensure, that will be a level of care recognized by the state health dept: it will be a community college taught class that will end of being a semester long. It will engulf deep into ventilatory management, pharmacology, invasive airways, chest tubes, etc. The pilot program will start up in Jackson around fall I believe. People with FP-C, CCEMT-P, and an associates in applied sciences may take a bridge course.

-Kick off of discussion of the Community Paramedic licensure. I can't speak much of it because its in the infancy of the discussion, but the progress is positive. They are looking to places like Minnesota who are having success with this level of care thus far. It will be a double edged benefit, as it will save hospitals in readmittance penalties from Care/Caid, and give paramedics a higher career ceiling than whats currently available. This is a few years out, but its progress and aggressive progress at that.

Pretty cool stuff, to me at least. If things go my way, I won't be on the streets by the time the Community pilot programs begin though.

Top Bottom