Has anyone painted a AR-15?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSUFoolsball69

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Slidell
    I am looking to painting my AR a Dark Earth or simular. Has anyone do this? If so please share some of the things you did like, how much paint,etc. I figured to take it completely apart and cleaning real good but really wanting to see about some hidden details I need to know You help will be appreciated!

Thanks

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Personal experience, there are diferent products you can use as a do it yourself, KG Gunkote, Duracoat and Cerakote being a few names that hit the list.

Most of this are baked on finishes, duracoat you can get either baked on or air dry but baked only comes in a few colors unlike their air dry product which colors are unlimited, I have used all of the 3 brands that I mentioned before and it all depends on what you are planning on using the gun and where its being saved (holster or gun safe). Kg Gunkote was originally design for Navy Seals and its supposed to withstand 500 hrs of salt on the metal according to the manufacture dont take my word for it, Duracoat its a very thin material its very good to coat any metal that will not have any kind of holstering like a rifle or shotgun some people claim after a while it tends to chip but I have never had any problem with it so far and have it aplied on 2 of my 1911's, Cerakote is also a great product its a 2 part mix, means you have to do so many drops of hardener to the paint sort of like a automotive paint but at the end once you bake you can easily get like a sand finish to the metal which is pretty cool.

All of the brands I mentioned are for sale online, research at Brownels or Midway USA they both carry them, for a better finish I recomend you blast the metal prep work is very necesary for a quality finish also you will need to degrease the metal after, you will have to pre heat the metal and apply the finish with an airgun which you can easily purchase at Harbor Freight for a few bucks, then you will have to bake it in the oven and once its dry and back to room temperature put it back together.

Its a really simple process but very very time consuming and if you apply too much material you can easily get your gun to not go back together due to the thickness of the metal.

I also know a few people in my area (Lafayette) that do it for a living, but they only mess with Duracoat Air Dry, Duracoat recomends that for the product to cure not to be put back together for like 6 weeks so you are looking at not firing your baby for a few weeks.

Either way, I hope I was able to give you an idea of what you are looking into and if you need any more assistance dont hesitate to PM me.

Thanks.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    a lot of guys also use Aluma-Hyde II on their AR's, you can purchase it from Brownell's. you may want to pick up extra nozzles if you don't use it all in 1 sitting. the heads get clogged up pretty bad.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    All Duracoat can be heat cured except Duraheat as far as I know. That or I've been doing it wrong. lol
    DC can be assembled an used after heat cured at 200* for 2hrs with no issues.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Does a DPMS LR-308 count?

IMG_5496.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

$8 worth of Krylon and it's dirt cheap to touch up if it needs it. My rifles aren't pampered and it actually surprised me how well it holds up.

Top Bottom