HB 11 Eliminates CCP Renewel Training: UPDATE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Spoke to Rep. Thom Mcvea today about his bill. Nice fella! Rep. Mcvea was asked by a constituent in his district to sponsor this bill. The Constituent believes that the requirement to take the mandatory renewal training should be removed from the law. Rep. Mcvea agrees with him.

Rep. Mcvea believes that conscientious gun owners should not be required to take a renewal just because the government tells them so. He told me that those gun owners that have shown they are trained enough to get the permit are trained enough to renew the perimt. He sees renewal training as unecessary as having to relearn bike riding. He does believe that gun owners should be trained, but believes that is their own personal responsibility not govrnments.

Rep. Mcvea is very pro gun and pro 2nd Amendment though he is not a CC permitee. He is a gun owner and described himself as somewhat of a collector, he carries in his vehicle and his home. He is also NRA. He is very anti-criminal or "thug" as he described them. He has no patience for government restricting law abiding citizens from protecting themselves against the threat of violent offenders. Another point why he believes this provision needs to removed.

He has no support from any particular gun group or lobby at this time. He has fielded calls from the LSP about his bill and they have told him that if they have to testify they will side with public safety on the issue. He knows the LSP wants to keep it as a tool to collect fees. He doesn't fault them for that, but doesn't think this is the way to raise them either. Has heard little opposition to this so far.

I asked him if he had any support from his peers and he believes not only should he be able to get it out of committee, but he believes he has a very good chance to get it passed. He cited the other states that have removed the same requirement as his precedent. He did not see negative economic impact as a deterrent to this bills success.

Rep. Mcvea invited anyone that would like to discuss his bill to call him and asked that I list his personal cell phone for that purpose; 225-933-2060.

As of this post I have still not heard back from the NRA on what position they would take. I will not stop trying to get their take.

The bill is on the docket for the House Criminal Justice Committee, no date yet.

There it is folks. It is now time to let the process go to work. If you are for this, you need to do what you can to support it, if you are not you need to voice your opposition.

Since I am a member of the LSA and this forum, and since this bill lands squarely in the laps of gun owner issues, I think there needs to be a stance taken. If the powers that be have to poll the members to see what the majority favors, so be it.

Also, as a side note; after thinking about dzelenka's post about the protocol on how the AG gives opinions, I asked Rep. Mcvea if we ever needed him as an elected official to ask for an opinion from the AG for us, would he; and he said; "E-mail it to me, and I will ask."

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    You said he carries in his vehicle and home does that mean CC or just has them in both places?

How does LSP make money on training classes?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You said he carries in his vehicle and home does that mean CC or just has them in both places?

How does LSP make money on training classes?

He keeps a gun in his car, he believes it is an extension of his home; and he has guns at home.

I guess he was thinking fees for renewal in general. :dunno: That's what he said.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You would STILL pay LSP a fee for a new card regardless, the only "saving" is the fact that you dont attend a renewal class.

You guys dont actually think LSP will issue a card that doesnt expire, the DMV charges you for a drivers license right?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You guys dont actually think LSP will issue a card that doesnt expire, the DMV charges you for a drivers license right?

He's also believes there shouldn't be a permit. "A constituitional right is not like a prvilidge to drive!"

Sounded like he's a hard core "no-restrictions" guy.:cool:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    You would STILL pay LSP a fee for a new card regardless, the only "saving" is the fact that you dont attend a renewal class.

That was my take. LSP doesn't make money on my training just my renewal fee for my permit. Sounds like he needs to brush up on how the CHP system works so they don't make him look unprepared.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Still, I'm so curious to know where that got it's beginnings. I know it's at least 30 years old.

Ok Off Topic

It started in the past with Insurance and Private Property. It USED TO BE KNOWN that when someone said your vehicle is an extension of your home it was in the context of Self-Defense. Today most folks use it in context with justifiable homicide.

Some how this got misconstrued and folks started making fun of people for using this phrase, even though for it's INTENDED purpose it is a VALID statement.

How can anyone read RS 14:20 and NOT understand that as far as the law is concerned surrounding justifiable homicide your vehicle is indeed an EXTENSION OF YOUR HOME!!!!!!!

:doh:

(3) When committed against a person whom one reasonably believes to be likely to use any unlawful force against a person present in a dwelling or a place of business, or when committed against a person whom one reasonably believes is attempting to use any unlawful force against a person present in a motor vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:1(40), while committing or attempting to commit a burglary or robbery of such dwelling, business, or motor vehicle.
    (4)(a) When committed by a person lawfully inside a dwelling, a place of business, or a motor vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:1(40), against a person who is attempting to make an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, or who has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, and the person committing the homicide reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the entry or to compel the intruder to leave the premises or motor vehicle.
    B. For the purposes of this Section, there shall be a presumption that a person lawfully inside a dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle held a reasonable belief that the use of deadly force was necessary to prevent unlawful entry thereto, or to compel an unlawful intruder to leave the premises or motor vehicle, if both of the following occur:
    (1) The person against whom deadly force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle.

...sigh...

Ok back On Topic

EDIT for clarification on origin as pointed out by Nolacopusmc :D

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    <ignoring the 'extension of home discussion.... where's that dead horse smiley?>

I've always assumed that the trainers had to pay a fee to LSP to be recognized as able to provide CCW training. Again the state has never let the opportunity to charge for something pass them by.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You guys dont actually think LSP will issue a card that doesnt expire...

Oh hell no.
    happy0170.gif

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I think it just comes down to the money. The govt. wants a little here, a little there, a little more here, a little more there ... a lot here, a lot there ... and it all adds up. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea for a person to take a class if they decide they want to carry and get their permit, but having to renew it, over and over and over during one's lifetime...just throw the fee in there with all the other fees and taxes you pay.

I guess my point is, that most things that involve the govt. taking less money out of your pocket, have a bad chance of passing.
    ~rc~

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I think it just comes down to the money. The govt. wants a little here, a little there, a little more here, a little more there ... a lot here, a lot there ... and it all adds up. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea for a person to take a class if they decide they want to carry and get their permit, but having to renew it, over and over and over during one's lifetime...just throw the fee in there with all the other fees and taxes you pay.

I guess my point is, that most things that involve the govt. taking less money out of your pocket, have a bad chance of passing.
    ~rc~

This new Bill as written would only end the renewal training only. You would still have to renew your CHP with LSP.
    And that's the only money the State gets anyway, it's the fee for the renewal, they don't get a dime for your training.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    This new Bill as written would only end the renewal training only. You would still have to renew your CHP with LSP.
    And that's the only money the State gets anyway, it's the fee for the renewal, they don't get a dime for your training.

********! LSP makes millions in excess funds off of CHp and they use it to buy speed lasers, tint meters, and overtime to do seatbelt checkpoints.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom