HB602

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    This bill if passed will get rid of the firearm free zone restriction for LA ccw holders with respect to state law. However, the federal gun free zone act still will not allow non-LA residents to carry in firearm free zones, even if the state has reciprocal agreements. This little known fact is hardly brought up by anyone. Too bad this bill doesn't address the "parade/ demonstation" "restriction" in which the word "in a parade" has brought confusion and ambiguity.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    interesting.... but wait.. The "parade/demonstration" thing got my attention. Is it illegal to carry your firearm on a parade route during Mardi Gras, if you're not a CCW holder? I normally discretely/respectfully/but legally open carry, but was not aware of any parade route restrictions. Was I breaking a law and not realizing it, just getting lucky to not be approached about it?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    AFAIK it is illegal "No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity."

40:1379.3

Then again I don't know if you can still be charged for open carry or for oc if you do not have a chp. I would consult an attorney.

On of the asst DAs taught my permit class and he emphasized unless you live on the parade route and are in the process of leaving or returning to your home, don't do it.
    interesting.... but wait.. The "parade/demonstration" thing got my attention. Is it illegal to carry your firearm on a parade route during Mardi Gras, if you're not a CCW holder? I normally discretely/respectfully/but legally open carry, but was not aware of any parade route restrictions. Was I breaking a law and not realizing it, just getting lucky to not be approached about it?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    The parade/demonstration issue has not be resolved. The statute reads that youy cannot carry "in" a parade or demonstraion. This language sems to imply that if you are a participant in the parade, ie: on a float or marching, then you cannot carry. Simply watching and being a non involved spectator would appear to be ok. However, this has not been tested in the courts. With the new strict scrutiny standard the 1000 ft boundary and being a ccw carrying spectator at a parade may be in dispute. But again, until a case is brought forward. Another issue is the state firearm free zone of 1000 ft around schools. How can a protected right be limited on public property within a 1000 ft. Why not 2000, a mile. Again this statute if applying strict scrutiny would probably fall. Supposed the legislature passed a law banning free speech 1000 ft. away from any school. The ACLU would have a fit.

Top Bottom