HE Washer Recommendations?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    After 8 years my LG Front Loader began dumping water on the floor during the spin cycle. I disassembled it to discover the rear drum seal is toast and the back drum has cracks all over it. The seals are reasonable but the drum is almost cost prohibitive to replace.

I have 4 kids so I need a solid machine that won't break the bank. I've learned that online retailer reviews are virtually worthless. Does anyone have a recommendation or good experience?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I avoided the front loading ones after checking into them because of the issues you had I stayed away from them.

That being said we went with a top loading LG without the agitator and it has been doing a good job so far Ge was going to be my other choice but either of those will do fine just avoid getting any front loading ones is all I would say.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    We have a Samsung we bought at Lowes and it has given us excellent results. I opened up the top lid and adjusted the water sensor to allow more water in the tub. (Found the hack on the internet).

Bought the 4 yr extended "bumper to bumper" warranty from Lowes for a 100.00 and total cost was about 500.00 (after my military discount + end of year clearance price).

I like this washer a lot. The spin is super quiet. Clothes come out much cleaner than I've ever had out of a washer.

Dryer time is minimal due to excellent spin cycle.

Time owned 3.5 yrs.

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Had a Whirlpool Duet washer...Water leaked and the culprit was the rear bearing (seal at front of unit burned up due to the drum being loose), which could NOT be replaced by itself and had to get the carriage and spider assy with it..The labor was 8 hours to do the damn job plus parts. This unit was around 7 years old and was told by an appliance technician friend that that is about right for this new stuff..We replaced the washer with another Whirlpool top-loader HE unit and it has given us no problems at all.

Last edited:

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    I have an LG top loader I
    I read all the disastorous reviews of many different brands of front loaders, and decided on a top loader.
    it's been a great machine, for the past 3 years.
    huge capacity, and quiet.

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    I will not buy one of the front loaders. I've had a Whirlpool top loader for 15 years and have not cracked the cabinet open ever and I run some crap through it.

I can name at least a dozen friends that despise their front loaders. Especially how they start to smell and that they recommend you clean it on a regular basis. Then the leaking issues. Know two people that came home to flooded rooms. Too expensive and not worth it for all the issues.

Last edited:

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    I go on the theory, that, that's a lot of weight to sling around at very high speeds.
    Something will eventually give, and it won't be pretty or convenient when it does.
    had an old set of Maytags (1979) I inherited and used for many years.
    Only opened the dryer twice.
    Once for a belt, 2nd time for a gas valve.
    I sold the set for $100, when I bought my house, and moved.
    they're probably still washing clothes.
    I wish they still made appliances that good.
    todays crap is made to fall apart, and not be easily serviced.

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    I purchased both my washer and dryer at Campo's scratch and dent sale back in December 1998. Was close to $950 for both new but they knocked off $250 for the dents on the back panels. Knocked them out with a hammer.

Washer never touched. Dryer has had the belt changed, solenoid for gas valve and the motor. Not bad for 15 years of use. If I make it to 20 years I'm good.

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    We just purchased a HE Maytag Bravos XL top loader from Lowes. It was a discontinued model and the floor model. Paid $358 for it. The regular price was $999. So far I have been impressed with how quiet it is and the capacity. We shall see how long it lasts.

It was also made in the USA...or so the sticker says!!:D

Last edited:

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I ended up ordering an LG Top Loader. It should be delivered tomorrow. It is really scary watching the monserous mound of muddy clothes multiply.

One thing that shocked me about the front loader: all of the weight of the inner drum and WET clothes is supported by two bearings on a shaft at the back. That is the only physical connection to the plastic outer drum. That is a LOT of stress that is supported by the backs of both drums. No onder the plastic drum developed stress cracks and the spider brackets tend to break.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Man, I was gonna come in and recommend an LG front-loader :D

I think the new ones come with a 10 year warranty on the tub, but that might just be the motor.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Avoid front loaders like they have the plague. Everyone I've ever known has had the same issue, regardless of brand.

This...also issues with water staying stuck in them, then mold/mildew.
    We don't get into those appliances with all the bells and whistles....we have stayed away from all the push button electronics models....good old knobs...work great, just like they always have....you can still find them at Sears, though the choices are limited...

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Electrolux front loaders are awesome. No problems at all with it. Seals great, uses very little detergent and no leakage at all. Has saved us an average of $50 a month between detergent and power use. Larger load capacity than my old ones, so less time spent on laundry. Wife wishes we had gotten it sooner.

http://www.electroluxappliances.com/Washers-Dryers/Washing-Machines/

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom