Head cheese recipe wanted

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    After seeing the real coonass food thread raised from the dead I want some head cheese. Problem is no one sells it up here much less knows what it is so got some recipes? Anyway to can the stuff? And I won't be able to get a head easily (real lack of any form of meat market here) so will be using shoulder/boston butt, whatever pork and on sale.

Last edited:

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe

kd5hlx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Gray, La.
    Bourgeois Meat Market , Thibodeaux,La. Best hog head cheese and their turkey head cheese is even better. I prefer the hot. They also have excellent beef jerky. (985) 447-7128. I get my deer meat processed there also.

todbnla

Spendasauris
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Picayune, MS
    Bourgeois Meat Market , Thibodeaux,La. Best hog head cheese and their turkey head cheese is even better. I prefer the hot. They also have excellent beef jerky. (985) 447-7128. I get my deer meat processed there also.

Turkey head cheese; theirs an oxymoron if I ever heard one, healthy meat encapsulateded in grease! LOL

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    If you want some home grown real deal, Treitler's (sp) formerly from the parish is in my area, he gets $6/lb or apx $20 for a 3lb loaf pan hot or mild. Not sure what FedEx charges for overnight to COL for 3pds but I'll be happy to do the hook up if your interested. I often bring it to work at least once a month.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-41605004-treitler-s-hogshead-cheese-picayune

Thanks for the offer but I'm gonna try and make some, fed ex overnight from MS to CO for 3 lbs is like $50 according to the rate charts, that would be some expensive ass head cheese!

jdk426

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Livingston
    Reason I asked big nick is im flying into Denver later today and I've got some hawg head cheese from Jerry Lee's I wouldn't mind giving you a few pounds if your within the vicinity.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Thanks but I'm on the western slope and on hitch to boot. It's about a 4 hour drive that I hate making though it is senic this time of year.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Try this one...change things/spices to suit your own needs.
    http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipes/cajun/head-cheese/541.rcr

Tried it, amazingly I found some pig feet at the one and only meat market within 60+miles, doubled up the pig feet added a bunch of garlic and jalapenos, turned out pretty good. There's a local place selling peach and jalapeno jam that goes pretty good with it too.

5CXWi.jpg

Top Bottom