Hearing Protection Act- Attempting to deregulate suppressors

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    boy the "anti" gun nuts will have a ka-nip-tion. they will fight this tooth and nail, not knowing that suppressors only reduce sound, not eliminate it.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    All depending on how they regulate it prices might actually drop may encourage more people to make suppressors and drive down costs more people buying more competition lower prices just my opinion though

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    It will make them at least $200 less expensive. I've seen threads about them being legally homemade with a Maglight body. Its worth at least an email to Sen. Vitter. If anything, it will put the antis on the defensive and take away their money/time from focusing on "sensible gun legislation".

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    It will make them at least $200 less expensive. I've seen threads about them being legally homemade with a Maglight body. Its worth at least an email to Sen. Vitter. If anything, it will put the antis on the defensive and take away their money/time from focusing on "sensible gun legislation".

Even if you have a home-made one, you still have to register it and get a stamp.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Correct, a $200 tax stamp is currently needed to do a homemade build. Here is the thread in which someone covered his legal homemade build. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=166767&highlight=homemade+suppressor
    It had enough confusion on the legality of test models, replacing parts and holding replacement parts etc.. that I would want to have the advice of an attorney and the attorney on retainer prior to doing any sort of building.

It looks like the introduced bill will eliminate suppressors from needing the tax stamp entirely.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Fat chance of this moving past the house going into an election year. It would be awesome, even though i've paid too much money into stamps, and would never see that coin again.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If it does happen I'm wondering if prices will skyrocket?

There would literally be tens, if not hundreds of new entrants to the market, and almost every firearm manufacturer will be looking into how to add suppressors to their lineups, and prices would plummet. Much larger, more diverse market.

Until then though, the current supply would dry up for about 6-12 mos.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    The manufactures could say if the customer is willing to pay the stamp and transfer fee then why not just jack the price of the suppressor and avoid the paperwork and wait time. ?? I guess it just depends on if the manufactures hold the line or one drops then the rest will follow. I just for one don't see this ever happening and also not a sure thing prices will fall. Time will tell.

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    It is in interesting bill. I don't see it happening under the current administration, but it is worth supporting.

Regarding what would become of the market, I would imagine there would be a lot more options; ranging from cheap-o bargain cans all the way up to ultra-expensive pieces. Right now the market is slanted towards higher priced items because the reasoning is if you're going to jump through the NFA hoops and pay a $200 tax, you might as well make the effort worthwhile and buy quality. I'd also imagine home builds would become more common because there would not longer be the paperwork, tax, engraving, 4-9 month wait time, etc., that there is now.

Anyway, it is an interesting development, even if it is exceedingly unlikely in the current political landscape.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    The manufactures could say if the customer is willing to pay the stamp and transfer fee then why not just jack the price of the suppressor and avoid the paperwork and wait time. ?? I guess it just depends on if the manufactures hold the line or one drops then the rest will follow. I just for one don't see this ever happening and also not a sure thing prices will fall. Time will tell.

Sure if they're the only game in town, or if they all band together to form some illegal suppressor cartel. Luckily we still have a fairly free market capitalist economy, which allows for a consumer to have a wide array of companies competing for their business.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Calm down trigger. It's just my opinion. I hope IF this happens prices will fall but there is a chance they will not. Prices going up or staying the same is also capitalism. If you start manufacturing suppressor and selling them for $99 I will be the first to buy one from you. I would also buy one for the same current price plus $200 to avoid LLC,trust paperwork and wait time. El Chapo Suppressors LLC LOL

Top Bottom