Hebert Guns - High Prices?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bladerunner

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Needed a few small parts for my AR, two takedown detent springs and one buffer detent spring. I could have gotten all of them for under $10 on Amazon, but decided to support a local shop, and I wanted to take a look inside. Well, $25 later, I guess I will stick to online shopping. The takedown springs were $7.95 each and the detent spring was $4.95. Is this normal for a dealer, or are they just real high?

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Sure, you could have gotten them online for less, but 9 times out of 10, the online retailer isn't having to support a brick and mortar storefront business.

Or, in the case of Midway & Brownells, they supply many, if not most of the brick and mortar stores so by shear volume they can sell cheaper.

Some people don't like Hebert's for whatever personal reason, but I don't think their prices are higher than any other local gun shop. I'm sure they are on a few things, but the point is you can walk in and walk out with what you wanted. Not place an order and wait. You're paying for convenience.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Online prices are almost always cheaper. Gun stores have many costs in order to keep the doors open.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    There are so many local guys to support besides these guys. They are known to be horrible for customer service and their prices are crazy. I remember a year ago I called about a BX-25 mag. They said yeah we have them. I asked how much and he said $46. I of coarse went elsewhere. Found one for $26 and they were a local place.

There is supporting local business and then there is take your business elsewhere, where you arent getting robbed and your business is appreciated.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    yeah theres too many "local places" to put up with this place. service is 2/10 at best imo, thats thats neglecting the absurd prices. just my .02

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Needed a few small parts for my AR, two takedown detent springs and one buffer detent spring. I could have gotten all of them for under $10 on Amazon, but decided to support a local shop, and I wanted to take a look inside. Well, $25 later, I guess I will stick to online shopping. The takedown springs were $7.95 each and the detent spring was $4.95. Is this normal for a dealer, or are they just real high?

Next time you need small Parts locally, call Lloyd Landry in gonzales.

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    Like a lot of people, I have had pretty poor experiences at Hebert Guns, from high prices to a seeming indifference to whether I bought it from them or not. But in all fairness here, I was looking for a Ruger rimfire pistol in June. They not only had a few of them in stock, but were $20.00 cheaper than anyone in our area. I could have beat the price online, but then I would have had to pay shipping and FFL transfer fees. So I went to Hebert's, worked with a Kimber toting gal named Heather, and got great customer service! We've bought 3 guns from them now...

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Guys if you are looking for small parts for you uppers or lowers. I stock a bunch at reasonable prices. I have just about every part for uppers and lowers at the shop. My detent and take down springs were .50 ea. 225-206-1908

Last edited:

benjandpurge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Lafayette
    Yeah, I gotta 2nd the kudos to Barking Irons, with the relatively high price of the Sig P226, Hebert's had it for $1099 before taxes, at Barking Irons, I got a military discount, so it was about $990 out the door, which isn't bad, plus the guys there were really cool to deal with. Also got a cool T-shirt. I'd recommend them any day. I've also gotten a mixture of decent to mediocre service from Hebert's, one guy was really cool, I wanted to buy two spacers for the grip on my Glock 29 to be able to use G20 mags, and he pulled a Glock 20 out of the case to make sure they worked. He didn't have to do that, and I thought it was cool.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I got treated like a known shoplifter while in full uniform when I went in Hebert's.

I'll never darken their door again.

You can total up all the great experience stories and the bad ones will still far out number them!

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Guys if you are looking for small parts for you uppers or lowers. I stock a bunch at reasonable prices. I have just about every part for uppers and lowers at the shop. My detent and take down springs were .50 ea. 225-206-1908

I'll give a +1000 here. James is a good guy to deal with, he has this type of stuff in stock and within arms reach, and he's a Site Sponsor. I agree with supporting "local shops" ( I am one) and have dealt with just about everyone in the area for one thing or another. While the scare was going on I can remember only a couple of shops that didn't rape the public for items that they had in stock and James is one of them. Support your local businesses and look to site sponsors. I believe the people that put in the effort to be a part of this site, in an intellectual way and not just to sell merchandise, says allot about their personal fortitude. Most of these people/ businesses are a pleasure to deal with and are honest in their dealings as well. Thank you for supporting local business, and God bless.

dirty dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I got treated like a known shoplifter while in full uniform when I went in Hebert's.

I'll never darken their door again.

You can total up all the great experience stories and the bad ones will still far out number them!

That's my experience at Precision. I've never seen a gun store so terrified of guns.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    But in all fairness here, I was looking for a Ruger rimfire pistol in June. They not only had a few of them in stock, but were $20.00 cheaper than anyone in our area. I could have beat the price online, but then I would have had to pay shipping and FFL transfer fees. So I went to Hebert's, worked with a Kimber toting gal named Heather, and got great customer service! We've bought 3 guns from them now...

I will jump on with you! I have bought more than three from them and I have never felt ignored or treated less respectfully.

Want to complain? Try to buy something from behind the gun counter at Academy (Siegen), when there is one guy on duty (who may or may not have the keys to the display case), and two people ahead of you.

Top Bottom