Help Building 1st AR-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I'm about to get started on the lower. About to order this combo, seems like a good deal. What do you guys think?
    e61f303520359cff40a21c4dc904cef8.jpg

I've built three rifles so there are people here with far more expertise than myself. My first build I launched my front detent spring, with the detent of course far into the wild blue yonder. I'm still waiting to find them walking barefoot around the house years later. I would get thee to Lowe's or your hardware store of choice and get a 1/4 clevis pin. I did this for my next two builds and it paid for itself the first time I didn't launch a spring and front takedown detent all the way across the room. Arfcom has some instructions with good pictures on how to use it.

I honestly never found a huge amount of cost savings in building just a plain jane AR unless I was willing to wait and literally buy it piece by piece over the course of weeks or months. I never built an upper, however, so the calculus might be different there. My understanding is though that you have to get special tools and need a good vice on hand so if you're just doing a one off it's not really worth it unless you can borrow tools.doing since it's fun and easy to do, but for me the big advantage was to buy exactly what I wanted for the lower and not have to swap out parts. Plus it's fun to do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom