Help choosing a press for a beginner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    I'm finally coming to my sense's and realizing that the amount of money I spend on factory ammo could just as easily be turned into a reloading press. Problem is I know slim to none about presses. I've been looking online and seen the differences between the progressive and single stage and it seems that the progressive's take a lot of the hassle and work out of it. Now I'm trying to decide between the Lee Pro 1000, the Dillon SDB, and the RCBS turret. If anyone has any ideas about these or a different press if I'm on the wrong track any help is appreciated. Im not trying to break the bank so leads on used gear or sales would be helpful as well. I'll primarily be loading .40 s&w for range use. I would like the flexibility to load .223 but not needed yet as I don't shoot my rifle much.

Thanks,
    Chris

FD807

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Geismar La.
    Ok the SDB doesn't do rifle calibers so get a 550 I got one almost 2 years ago and don't regret it a bit. I hope to have a 650 to go with it soon.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    id say go with the sdb. Aslo, you should buy it from LA gun and reloading on jefferson near Airline. Bryan will give you all the help you need and all of the guys that work there are great and very knowledgeable. DO NOT GET THE LEE what ever you do.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    +1 on SDB, especially if you are loading for 1 handgun caliber. Dies are proprietary and a bit expensive. I have 2 SDB as I detest having to change the primer system, although it is relatively easy...

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I use a Lee turret press with "pro autodisk", hornady dies yada yada... I bought it because it was a hundred bucks and killer at LA Reload uses one. Once I finally got it all adjusted right, it works pretty well.

I use it just like a single stage though. Size/deprime a batch; clean it; sit on the couch with my auto-primer and prime cases while watching a movie; next day I powder charge / seat bullets.

It is not a fast process. I recommend it if you want to save money and have a lot of time on your hands.

If you want efficiency, the dillon 550 / 650 or the Hornady AP (people around this area tend to trash this press, but a friend uses his to great affect) is the way to go. LA Reload is The Place for material, help, and presses.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    id say go with the sdb. Aslo, you should buy it from LA gun and reloading on jefferson near Airline. Bryan will give you all the help you need and all of the guys that work there are great and very knowledgeable. DO NOT GET THE LEE what ever you do.

If you just doing pistol +1

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Check out my post in classifieds. I'm getting out of the business and have kits of 223 and 40 stuff. Press is sold though. Brass, tumbler, media, dies, case prep tools, even a few primers an power.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I've got a Lee turret I also use kind like a single stage (prime and clean separately) put 2,200 rounds of 45 and a few hundred .223 though it no problems.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Of your list, I've heard nothing but good things about the SDB. I may add one next to my 650, although chances are I'll end up with a 550 instead...

Just how much quantity are you going to be loading, and what will your timeframe look like? IMO, that's the single most important factor in what press you go with. If you're looking for tons of rounds in one evening, you're probably better off saving a bit longer and going with a 550 or 650. I like to take the block of time at the end of my Thursday and crank out rounds for that week, quickly and cleanly with no muss or fuss. As long as I don't run into a stray .40 case (loading 9mm) or a .32 ACP stuck in a good case, it doesn't take me very long at all and I'm free to go about the rest of the evening.

Also, be warned-- you will almost certainly continue to spend the same amount of (available) funds on ammo, but you'll be getting a lot more bang for the buck! Which is for most shooters an unexpected outcome, but a good one nonetheless.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    I was thinking about maybe 300 rounds a week, and I usually have an hour or two in the evenings to myself. Does LA reloading stock the SDB or just Lee? No one uses RCBS products? What are their hours like, I might go by there so I can get a look at the different presses in person one evening this week.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    LA reload only stocks the 550, but will order you a sdb. The lee turret press is god, i used to use one, but once i got my 450, ive never looked back. i have not herad anything good about the lee pro 1000. beauxdog owns LA Reload. PM him for his availability of the SDB

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Today I just got "Lymans Reloading Handbook 49th edition" from him so I can do some reading and learn a bit before I buy too much stuff. I've got to make a trip to Houston next weekend but when I get back Im pretty sure Im going to get a Dillon 550B. It was really nice getting to put my hands on all the different presses and see how they felt and how fast/efficient they were. I think I'll be happy with the 550. It seems like a good compromise between saving space and the 650. Now I need to spend the next week learning about powder and bullet selection.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have a Lee Turret Press. I love it. I bought it from a member here and I've cranked out lots of 9mm since. I want a Dillon 650 but I don't shoot enough to justify the cost.

rmorgan9718

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    Houston
    got two 550's, one Rock Chucker, Lee Pro 1000, and several smaller single stage presses. go with what you are comfortable with, but you will be stressing any of the turret/progressive presses more than a little if you are re-sizing larger/long rifle bullets. I still use the Rock Chucker to size and de-prime all bottle neck cases, and change the dillon over for large lots of plinking rounds in the .223 and .308. Also, extruded powders have a more difficult time processing thru the Dillon powder dispenser, even with the actuator arm.

IMHO, if sub-MOA is what you are trying to achieve, you can't beat the Rock Chucker.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I started a little over 30 years ago with the basic Lee O frame press. I am still using it. It is slow but it works. Get the best you can afford. Have fun.

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    WEll, I see that Im a little late to this thread, but I use the RCBS Pro 2000 (manual indexing). Ive used it for about two years now and absolutely love it. The only advice I have for someone who gets this press is for them to have a STURDY bench to put this on. I had to seriously re-enforce my bench because this press is HEAVY. I plan on loading rifle rounds with this press (30-06 & .223) and dont forsee this press flexing much.

Top Bottom