Help dating a S&W Model 10-5 revolver

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawDawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Benton, LA
    Can anyone give me some help dating the manufacture of a Smith & Wesson Model 10-5 (.38) revolver? It used to belong to my great grandfather and it has made its way down the tree to me. The serial number is located on the frame and is C8656xx. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Here is a couple of pics....

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    DOB 1966 or 1967
    It shouldt have diamond grips. Did you look to see if the grips are numbered to the gun?

LawDawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Benton, LA
    Great info. I will have to check the grips tomorrow. Do you what what type of grips would have been original to the gun? A pic of the grips maybe? Thanks again everyone for the info.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    DOB 1966 or 1967
    It shouldt have diamond grips. Did you look to see if the grips are numbered to the gun?

S&W began to phase out the diamond grips around this time. It's possible that this gun shipped without them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Great info. I will have to check the grips tomorrow. Do you what what type of grips would have been original to the gun? A pic of the grips maybe? Thanks again everyone for the info.

Here's a picture of my Pre-Model 10. Notice the diamond around the grip screw. This is what Jimmy meant when he said "Diamond Grips"

z9jgau0uifcbhzyt026e.jpg

LawDawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Benton, LA
    Ok, I checked the grip and the serial numbers match. So, the grips are correct for the pistol. I suppose 67-68 was a grip transition period. I've seen the value of the Model 10 in the blue book, but the entry was for the reissued "Classics" series just released a few years ago. What would be the value on this one?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom