help decide

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotmama

chicks like guns 2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    bay st louis, MS
    OK at least give me options. I want a handgun that i conceal in a holster. not too big of a grip. my husband has a Sig and that's to big for my hand. also must have little or no kick. I've been shooting my son's Walter P .22 . it's OK but want something of my own. it also needs to look good. :bowdown: :bigok:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Glock 27 gets my vote, unless you can conceal the 19 (don't know your body frame size). The 19 has a tad more weight, and weight is what eats recoil.

OOPS, meant G26. Not being a woman, I sometimes get all those little rounds confused. ;)

ETA: just noticed you said it needs to look good. That counts Glock out.
    smiley_abused.gif

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    glock 27 is smaller than a G19 and it fires a higher recoil round, the .40. I'm going to chime in with the G19 crowd for now.

If you like the P22, look at the P99 in 9mm or .40, probably 9mm. Walther also has the PPS which is a really thin pistol, should be easy to carry.

My fiance loves her Sig P250, its about the same size as a G19

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    The only thing I can add to this is that we all want our wives to post on the internet that our guns are too big for their hands. With a picture of ourselves. When we were youger, in better shape & had hair.

I have an older Walther PPK/S which is a great gun. I find the recoil a bit sharp. Once a group of us shot a variety of guns & the little .380 was the hand stinger. It has to do with fit / balance / weight & other factor. A .357 & a .45 were not as sharp. I have also been on .45 shoots & one 1911 will hit you harder than another with the same ammo. At least that is my perception.

Same for AMT backup. Ultra concealable & don't think it is made anymore. It has a little grip that concentrates the force. There is something similar made though.

There is still a pretty big range there depending on how big a pistol you want.

I can tell I shoot a lot of .22lr in both rifle & pistol. I went through 1100 rds last Sunday. 550 in a pistol & 550 in a rifle. I can't afford to do that on anything else. It is good practice.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I find the perceived recoil of my .380 Keltec P3 more noticeable than with my 1911 in .45. It has a lot to do with the weight of the gun also. My wife used to like shooting my Ruger Security 6 (.38 special). The little .38 snub I bought her kicked like a mule, she said. It was louder and it did kick more. I think the sound had more to do with it though.
    Bottom line, small concealable guns are not fun to shoot. Big guns are more fun to shoot but no fun to carry. Do what most of us have done, buy one (or more) of each!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    My G26 doesnt have much recoil, but it does jump around alot more than my G17. My .38 snubbie is pretty much not any fun to shoot, after 20 shots your hand is stinging and going numb, it sure is easy to conceal though. Taurus makes a .38 snubbie with a compensated barrel, I hear they are a bit more forgiving but they still have that hellacious revolver double action trigger which can be a pain for people with weak grip strength.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I personally own an XD. Take a look at the Springfield XD 9 Subcompact. I personally like my XD 45 Compact. It shoots well, is reliable, and easy to clean. If you are considering a Glock it would be a great alternative.

76680966sh3.jpg

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    Taurus makes a .38 snubbie with a compensated barrel, I hear they are a bit more forgiving

Im coming in late to your thread, but for conceal ability, the compensated 38's that Taurus has made in the last few years aren't all that bad. They are very light and with a little practice just as accurate as most anything else in close range.

Still though I will agree that a Glock 26 is a great way to go! You cant beat a Glock in dependability.

:cool:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    My advice is to get something pretty for the range, and get something EASY to defend yourself with. That is why Glock is such a good choice for so many people. You pull the trigger and it goes bang- no other levers or actions to perform. If you are being attacked, unless you have ALOT of training/practice time in- you are going to be freaking out and it is easy to make mistakes. An attacker can cover, say, 21' of ground to get to you very very quickly- you will not have time to make mistakes if your life depends on it.

There is a reason people say- "A 1911 is what you show to your friends, Glock is what you show to your enemies."

Top Bottom