Help me decide!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    ok... some of you know I am new to guns and I was just wondering what is the differences between an SKS and an AR I am sure there are a lot. What would be the better weapon in a SHTF scenario

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    Since I see you're in Amite, might I suggest you go to one of the weekend shoots out there and ask for demonstrations. I'm sure if you go out there with 2 boxes of .223 and 2 boxes of 7.62x39, someone would let you shoot one.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    AR is more modern / modular - easier to attach different sights, lights, etc. to the AR. one AR lower can be used for different caliber uppers. and so on... however, roughtly twice the cost for a base model AR.

IMO, AK would be better in the comparison than the SKS. good SHTF rifle also.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I agree, if you want a SHTF stay away from the SKS, eventhough they are cheaper than anything else you can find.

Get a solid AK or a Saiga.

I like the AR platform as well but you are looking at spending more money.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Another big difference is the ammo. .223 is smaller, lighter, and has less recoil than the sks/ AK round. What's more important? What's your SHTF scenario? Are you walking out on foot with a backpack? Are you defending the homestead from the zombie hordes?
    Test firing both is a great idea (and +1 for trying the AK as well as the SKS). They operate very differently and feel very different when fired. Just to complicate your life, AR's come in a wide variety of styles- they can weigh anywhere from 5 to 15 pounds, they can converted to different calibers (.22LR up to .50BMG!), and all sorts of barrel lengths and contours.
    Plan the mission, then pick the tools. Also, look at what you already have- if you have a good bolt gun then you don't need a long range AR with a 24x scope...

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The .223 or whatever the military calls it is a ****-ant round.

I have several. They are like a long-range .22 L.R., except a lot louder.

WTSHTF, have a good shotgun and lots of 00-Buck. Especially if you are not familiar with trifles. Err, rifles...........I mean.

A good scattergun is the best thing for making someone leave you alone, which should be the goal.

leVieux

p.s. Can't you guys read; he asked about a SKS, not an AK; didn't he?

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Also realize that the AR has detachable magazines, and while some are made for the SKS, their reputation is less than stellar.

This has a lot of bearing in a SHTF situation, and is one very simple reason why ARs are fielded by modern armies today, and SKS are not. Reloads are faster, carrying extra ammo in the "ready" condition is a lot easier, rate of fire is vastly increased-- even in semi-automatic, civilian variants. It's also easier to carry the lighter, smaller .223 cartridge than the same amount of 7.62 x 39.

I also recommend you consider an AK for the task at hand. It is certainly less finicky than the AR might be, far more affordable, and honestly a better fit for someone without prior weapons experience. You're not gonna break the thing, in other words, and they're extremely low maintenance. Even folks with extensive backgrounds in all manner of weapons choose them over ARs for SHTF, and both are well suited to the task. There are a number of viable options for mounting optics and accessories, so don't feel like you're excluding yourself from any modifications/modularity by choosing the AK. They are certainly less accurate than an AR, but as you should not be using either platform to take shots past 200 yards in a SHTF situation, it's more than adequate for the task at hand. As a new shooter, you probably won't be able to tell the difference, anyway-- provided you end up with a good AK.

Last edited:

03GeeTee

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I vote ak also, I think it would be best for your needs and is cheaper to buy/ shoot than an AR. However, you can't go wrong with an AR either... you could just do what I did and get both ;)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The .223 or whatever the military calls it is a ****-ant round.

I have several. They are like a long-range .22 L.R., except a lot louder.

WTSHTF, have a good shotgun and lots of 00-Buck. Especially if you are not familiar with trifles. Err, rifles...........I mean.

A good scattergun is the best thing for making someone leave you alone, which should be the goal.

leVieux

:confused:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Another big difference is the ammo. .223 is smaller, lighter, and has less recoil than the sks/ AK round. What's more important? What's your SHTF scenario? Are you walking out on foot with a backpack? Are you defending the homestead from the zombie hordes?
    Test firing both is a great idea (and +1 for trying the AK as well as the SKS). They operate very differently and feel very different when fired. Just to complicate your life, AR's come in a wide variety of styles- they can weigh anywhere from 5 to 15 pounds, they can converted to different calibers (.22LR up to .50BMG!), and all sorts of barrel lengths and contours.
    Plan the mission, then pick the tools. Also, look at what you already have- if you have a good bolt gun then you don't need a long range AR with a 24x scope...

1278658019892.png

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    The .223 or whatever the military calls it is a ****-ant round. I have several. They are like a long-range .22 L.R., except a lot louder.

WTSHTF, have a good shotgun and lots of 00-Buck. Especially if you are not familiar with trifles. Err, rifles...........I mean. A good scattergun is the best thing for making someone leave you alone, which should be the goal.

leVieux

:rofl: so what's your point, it's OK for you to tell him about stuff he didn't ask about but not us? :crazy:

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    Sks can be made to be a decent rifle but out of the gate there are too many drawbacks when compared with an ar type rifle. I would go one better and find either a piston type ar or a good ak (arsenal) or if you want something awesome and a little unique check out the czech vz58. Ar platform rifles do benefit from light and cheap magazines which I like.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    thanks everybody. I am looking more for a "defending the homestead from the zombie hordes" as LACamper puts it. Something that could be used for hunting if necessary and something very reliable. The only gun I have now is a Springfield XDm .40 so I don't have a good long range rifle and if I would be able to get both(long range and up close combat defense) out of an AR I would rather go that route. A shotgun is on my list of things to have but I would rather handle the problem (if possible) before they get in shotgun range :p...I like the Smith&Wesson M&P15R 5.45x39 and the colt M4 5.56 carbine.. really the only 2 I have checked out.. What it boils down too is what would be the best all around rifle to have if your life depended on it... aka combat from far and up close, hunting, reliability, accuracy, and availability/cheapness of ammo

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    If money is a big issue a SKS would work as a SHTF rifle. I like the 7.62 round. One disadvantage is round count and a fixed magazine. The detachable mags have a reputation for being undependable. A good AK would be the next choice if money were the primary factor. Advantages are 7.62 round, durability, and multiple mag options. With cost as a factor the AR would be my third choice. The round does not have the zombi stopping capacity of the 7.62 and the AR requires more maintainence (cleaning) to be reliable. Personally, my SHTF choice is a 12 gage loaded with 00 or 0000 buckshot. The Remington 870 is an excellent choice. They are devestating.

870-exp-tac-grey-prod.ashx

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I agree with CE, you can have an 870 or Mossberg 500 setup with either buckshot or slugs depending on the what kind of zombies you need to kill and how far the zombies are, a 12 gauge can also be used to hunt at short range such as hog hunting.

The M&P15 5.45 is a great weapon and the ammo for it is cheaper than 5.56 with very similar ballistics, you can search on the posts by Pangris as he goes more into explaining the pro's from it.

How much are you looking at spending??????????????????

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    as far as spending goes..... It depends on bang for your buck... I wouldn't mind spending as much as 1000-1200 on a good gun if its worth it. If i can get the same thing out of a gun thats 600-800 thats fine also... i guess it all depends on if I like it and if I am getting a good deal on it

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You can also buy the M&P 5.45 upper $450, buy a plum crazy lower $170 = $620

5.45 ammo would be $240 for a crate (2,160 rounds).

$860 for the rifle and ammo if that is the route you want to go.

Eventhough the 7.62 round is nasty as could be IMO

Last edited:

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I'd go with the ar personally. In a SHTF situation you would be more likely to come across abandoned military equipment than somebody just dropping 7.62x39 willy nilly. On top of that the ability to carry multiple magazines, and aquire magazines makes favorable. Plus you might be humping it and you can always make a really light ar. With the sks on the other hand a polymer stock is not much if any lighter than the wood factory stock. On the benefit though the cleaning requirements are much less with the sks, and you can always carry loaded stripper clips which with practice can be used pretty dang quick. Plus the 7.62 will have a little more punch down range. Just my two cents .

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I think after all that's been said, you'd be best served by the AK, which can also be had in 5.45 as the 74.

I'd also get a shotgun as soon as enough money was back in the gun fund. If you want to play with the AR down the road when funds permit, get one.

Personally, and since I don't hunt much, I'd get a 12ga (with a 2nd barrel for hunting) and a Draco (AK pistol) for not much more than you're going to spend on a nice AK, then start adding to that combo as funds permit. I don't subscribe to anyone ever reaching the *enough guns* status. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom