Help me decide!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    The .223 or whatever the military calls it is a ****-ant round.

I have several. They are like a long-range .22 L.R., except a lot louder.

WTSHTF, have a good shotgun and lots of 00-Buck. Especially if you are not familiar with trifles. Err, rifles...........I mean.

A good scattergun is the best thing for making someone leave you alone, which should be the goal.

leVieux

p.s. Can't you guys read; he asked about a SKS, not an AK; didn't he?

****-ant round? Really? Actually for such a small round, it's quite impressive. I love buckshot, but you can carry lots more .223 than shotgun shells. It's also easier to carry than 7.62x39, but the difference is less so.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    If money is a big issue a SKS would work as a SHTF rifle. I like the 7.62 round. One disadvantage is round count and a fixed magazine. The detachable mags have a reputation for being undependable. A good AK would be the next choice if money were the primary factor. Advantages are 7.62 round, durability, and multiple mag options. With cost as a factor the AR would be my third choice. The round does not have the zombi stopping capacity of the 7.62 and the AR requires more maintainence (cleaning) to be reliable. Personally, my SHTF choice is a 12 gage loaded with 00 or 0000 buckshot. The Remington 870 is an excellent choice. They are devestating.

870-exp-tac-grey-prod.ashx

Perhaps the magazine is small but the OP could look for one of the so called "D" models that take AK mags. I have one and it is a great combination.

picture.php

SKS is pretty rugged, powerful and easy to operate. I personally own Both platforms and would be comfortable with either. (I also own an 870 Rem and a Mossberg 500 etc., etc. I'm good to go, Bug-out or Bug-in)

Be good guys.
    Al

My 2 cents

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    At one time the SKS was a good choice for those on a budget cause they were only around 100 bucks, now not so much. I think that's why everyone is saying get an AK now cause for the money you can get much more serviceable weapon for about the same price. I have had an SKS since '92 and it has been 100%. However if I were to look at getting something in 7.62 it would be an AK. Sounds to me like you are looking for AR.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    At one time the SKS was a good choice for those on a budget cause they were only around 100 bucks, now not so much. I think that's why everyone is saying get an AK now cause for the money you can get much more serviceable weapon for about the same price. I have had an SKS since '92 and it has been 100%. However if I were to look at getting something in 7.62 it would be an AK. Sounds to me like you are looking for AR.

Roger but, the OP asked specifically about an SKS and an AR. He did not ask about anything else. Just sayin'.

Al

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I would choose an AR for the following reasons.

1. Availability of ammunition and quality magazines.
    2. My personal competency and comfort level with it.
    3. Relative weight of ammunition to other options--can carry more of it.
    4. Inherent accuracy and easy adaptability to varying optics dependent on the system.
    5. Ready availability or parts.
    6. Ease of maintenance

That being said, I would never want a rifle designed like an SKS for personal defense simply because IMO there are better options like the AR or AK.

Furthermore, I do not look for bargain basement options for items i defend my life with. i understand the need to find a value, but cost is never my primary consideration on a purchase of this type.

This guy does a pretty good job of explaining why the SKS is perhaps not a wise choice. FYI..if you like watching youtube videos, I highly recommend to subscribe to his channel. He has a little bit of an abrasive attitude for some, but he speaks passionately and knowledgeably about his subject. make sure to tell him NOLATAC sent you if you subscribe or leave a comment.

I dig what he has to say on most things and has a preparedness type mindset and a fairly realistic view of prepping and tactics for SHTF type of scenarios. Kinda a no BS (pun not intended) kind of guy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnIIj9tyxBk[/ame]

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    What SHTF scenario are you talking about? Katrina? Use either, it's short term, help is on the way.

Failure of the US government with no help coming ever? AR15. Lot's more parts around to keep it running longer and lots of ammunition too. Most of it brassed cased which means re loaders should keep it going longer.

Dave

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks everyone for the advice and input. I really think I am going to go with an AR15.. I think really like the Smith&Wesson M&P15R 5.45x39... The ammo is inexpensive and all the reviews I have read on it have been very positive and it is very reliable. Sooner or later I'll own an AK and a shotgun annnnd a AR and im sure many more......Never 2 many guns right? Thanks again everyone... feel free to sugest any AR's I should consider other than the M&P

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Not many choices when it comes to 5.45, now 5.56 its a totally diferent story.

Either way the M&P is a good solid weapon that should give you a good amount of use if well taken care off, remember when using military surplus ammo you really have to do some cleaning on your weapon but other than that should be G2G.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks everyone for the advice and input. I really think I am going to go with an AR15.. I think really like the Smith&Wesson M&P15R 5.45x39... The ammo is inexpensive and all the reviews I have read on it have been very positive and it is very reliable. Sooner or later I'll own an AK and a shotgun annnnd a AR and im sure many more......Never 2 many guns right? Thanks again everyone... feel free to sugest any AR's I should consider other than the M&P

I would recommend the Spike's tactical M4 LE. If you have some extra cash, I would advise the matching .22 upper, or move up to a midlength gas system. Cannot go wrong either way.

I also own two SW MP in 5.56 and love em.

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=387

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-JAeTQGvZ4[/ame]

they also have 5.45 rifles and uppers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbBKoKmvmoU[/ame]

Last edited:

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    I see everyone talking about the 5.45 ar variants because of how cheap the surplus ammo is but all the surplus stuff is corrosive. I shoot corrosive stuff through alot of my guns but that is because I can clean them very well afterwords. I would think it would be more difficult to clean properly with a 5.45 ar. Am I wrong?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I see everyone talking about the 5.45 ar variants because of how cheap the surplus ammo is but all the surplus stuff is corrosive. I shoot corrosive stuff through alot of my guns but that is because I can clean them very well afterwords. I would think it would be more difficult to clean properly with a 5.45 ar. Am I wrong?

Yes you are. They are dirtier, but unless you let it sit, it is no different to clean. When ammo is called corrosive, it is not like simply shooting it eats it like acid.

it simply means that prolonged exposure (non-cleaning) to the components could hasten wear and cause increased levels of corrosion. Clean it it out, and it pretty much is a non issue.

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    yeah I know how to clean corrosive ammo and have seen the effects of not cleaning properly after shooting it since I collect so many military surplus guns and it does make the orange surface rust appear much faster so I always clean them the same day I shoot them. I was just wondering with the ar how the gas goes through the tiny gas tube then in the chamber if it was more of a difficulty to properly clean it to neutralize the salts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom