Help me put a value on a family heirloom

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phishyt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have an uncle who passed suddenly, and he left all of his possessions to a distant relative of mine. I am looking to offer her a fair market price for a S&W model 10-5 which belonged to my grandfather. I want to be very fair with her on the price. All I know is its a 10-5, nickle finish with a 3 inch barrel. I believe the weapon's serial number begins with a C. It should be in excelent condition.

Anyone have any idea on a reasonable price to give her for it?

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I think your gun is a 4" barrel. The Mod 10 is a great all time Smith classic but...it was made by the gazillions. While pre war (ww2) and pre model number guns are FINALLY starting to get some collector attention, the post war models are out there in fairly large numbers. It would seem that this would have, if it were me, more attraction belonging to a family patriarch than market value.

That being said, I'd estimate a "fair price" of around $400 or so. It's hard to tell from the pic (and nickel is a biatch to photo I know) on the exact condition of the nickel. And THAT would be a determining factor as often, it is "cloudy" or "milky" or bears either a lot of tiny scratches. Just can't tell from the pic. A LNIB example would be in the area of $600 or so, TOPS, even on Goingbroker, and considerably less on say, SW forum. For a VG or VG+ piece, $400 would be about right imo.

Hope this helps. At one time, I was a HUGE K frame collector and dealt with these things like I was drinking water. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom