Help Needed,contact Your Senator/congressman

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    THIS WAS JUST SENT TO ME AND nra MEMBERS..
    Dear Louisiana Concealed Carry Instructor:

The Senate has not yet reconsidered Senate Bill 51 <http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=465489>, introduced by State Senator Joe McPherson (D-Woodworth), which would clarify that current state law allowing Louisianans the right to protect themselves and to possess lawfully owned firearms in their private motor vehicles would supercede policies adopted by business owners or employers prohibiting the transportation or storage of guns in locked cars and trucks parked in their parking lots. Although the first vote on the measure garnered 18 YES votes to the opposition's 16 NO votes, the bill still fell two votes shy of a majority of the full Senate, which is needed to advance the measure to the Louisiana House. To see how your Senator voted, visit <http://www.legis.state.la.us>. Please keep contacting your State Senators in Baton Rouge at 225-342-2040 and urge them to support SB 51 if it is brought up for reconsideration. Big business and industry lobbyists are working hard to defeat this measure-your Senator needs to hear from you!

Also this week, State Representative Ernest Wooton (R-Belle Chasse) decided to temporarily bring House Bill 199 <http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=484143> back up on the House Calendar and also plans to bring it back up for a vote in the coming weeks. HB199 would allow Louisiana concealed carry permit holders to protect themselves on college and university campuses and remove the state restriction on "gun-free school zones" for permittees. This is your chance to contact your State Representative in Baton Rouge at 225-342-6945 and make your voice heard. Respectfully urge him or her to support the right of law-abiding concealed carry permit holders to protect themselves in this responsible manner.

We reported earlier this month that the “assault weapons” ban legislation introduced by State Representative Cedric Richmond (D-New Orleans) had been pulled from committee, but it has been rescheduled for a hearing before the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee. House Bill 68 <http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=462959> would ban pump-actions as well as semi-automatics, and millions more firearms than the Clinton "assault weapons" ban of 1994-2004. His definition of "assault weapon" would include numerous autoloading and pump-action deer rifles, autoloading .22 rimfire rifles, some 19th century pistols, as well as many firearms with a "military-style appearance" used for self-defense, target shooting and hunting. The hearing is being held on Wednesday, May 21 at 9:30am in Committee Rm. 6 in the State Capitol in Baton Rouge. It is imperative that you make a point of attending this critical hearing and voicing your opposition to this attack on your Second Amendment rights. Please also contact the members of the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee listed below, and urge them to vote NO on this egregious legislation!

House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee:

Chairman Ernest Wooton (R-Belle Chasse)
    larep105@legis.state.la.us <mailto:larep105@legis.state.la.us>

Vice-Chairman Damon Baldone (D-Houma)
    larep053@legis.state.la.us <mailto:larep053@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative Roy Burrell (D-Shreveport)
    larep002@legis.state.la.us <mailto:larep002@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative Don Cazayoux (D-New Roads)
    larep18@legis.state.la.us <mailto:larep18@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative Elbert Guillory (D-Opelousas)
    larep040@legis.state.la.us <mailto:larep040@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative Mickey Guillory (D-Eunice)
    larep041@legis.state.la.us <mailto:larep041@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative Chris Hazel (R-Pineville)
    hazelc@legis.state.la.us <mailto:hazelc@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative Frankie Howard (R-Many)
    howardf@legis.state.la.us <>

State Representative Joseph Lopinto (R-Metairie)
    lopintoj@legis.state.l.aus <>

State Representative Nick Lorusso (R-New Orleans)
    larep094@legis.state.la.us <mailto:larep094@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative Barbara Norton (D-Baton Rouge)
    nortonb@legis.state.la.us <mailto:nortonb@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative John Schroder (R-Covington)
    schrodej@legis.state.la.us <mailto:schrodej@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative Gary Smith (D-Norco)
    larep56@legis.state.la.us <mailto:larep56@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative Ricky Templet (R-Gretna)
    templetr@legis.state.la.us <mailto:templetr@legis.state.la.us>

State Representative Bodi White (R)
    larep064@legis.state.la.us <>

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    dere you go

Just cut and paste:

schrodej@legis.state.la.us, larep105@legis.state.la.us, larep053@legis.state.la.us, larep002@legis.state.la.us, larep18@legis.state.la.us, larep040@legis.state.la.us, larep041@legis.state.la.us, hazelc@legis.state.la.us, larep094@legis.state.la.us, templetr@legis.state.la.us, larep56@legis.state.la.us

Dear Sir or Madame:

Recently an “assault weapons” ban bill was introduced by State Representative Cedric Richmond (D-New Orleans) and has been rescheduled for a hearing before the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=462959

House Bill 68 would ban the sale of pump-actions as well as semi-automatics, and millions more firearms than the Clinton "assault weapons" ban of 1994-2004. His definition of "assault weapon" would include numerous auto-loading and pump-action deer rifles, auto-loading .22 rimfire rifles, some 19th century pistols, as well as many firearms with a "military-style appearance" used for self-defense, target shooting and hunting.

The hearing is being held on Wednesday, May 21 at 9:30am in Committee Rm. 6 in the State Capitol in Baton Rouge. It is imperative that you make a point of attending this critical hearing and voicing your opposition to this attack on your Second Amendment rights.

Moreover, this bill does nothing to effect the illegal introduction of firearms into criminal enterprises. Although such weapons have been used in these illegal endeavors, they have not been purchased through legal means. This bill is an affront to the law-abiding citizen who makes every effort to stay within the scope of the law. This bill will not have an effect, and nor has there been an documentation to suggest that it will, on the ability of criminals to purchase weapons through illicit means.

Please help support our efforts to oppose this maligned bill.

Kind regards,

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I got a real bad feeling about this all the sudden. Something prompted him to resubmit... I feel trouble comin...

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I see that my State Senator voted against SB 51. I just sent him the following email:

Dear Senator Xxxxxxxxxx:

I am very disappointed in your recent vote against SB51.

As a business owner, I strongly support every business' right to regulate the carrying of firearms on company property. However, to deny an individual the right to have a firearm locked in his vehicle while on "company property" means denying that person a means of defense against car-jacking or other forms of assault while traveling to and from the workplace.

As a resident of Baton Rouge, surely you are cognizant of the crime rate here. Surely you recall the music minister who was shot to death while driving to a job interview here in Baton Rouge just a couple of months ago.

You may be also familiar with a large refinery in the Baton Rouge area which prohibits the presence of firearms in vehicles parked in employee parking lots on company property, outside the gates of the plant. These employees get to choose between the risk losing their jobs if a firearm is found in their vehicles (the company has trained canine units that are used to conduct such searches), or risk losing their lives if attacked at a stop light while traveling to or from work.

Surely there is a better solution than simply allowing an employer impose "political correctness" by holding the threat of financial ruin over the heads of its workers.

I realize you are a busy person, especially with the Legislature in session. But I would appreciate a brief explanation of your stance on this issue.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxx
    President & CEO
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70810
    225-xxx-xxxx

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    This bill has me deeply scared for some reason. Something about it coming back spooks me...

Anyone else plannin on going Wednesday? I am seriously considering it, but I'm afraid of what I will hear. :(

ReilleysMom32

Drunkie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    NOLA
    Just sent it off.

I added to the end of the base letter how I feel about the overall "assault ban" and how that it has no constitutional merit and directly encroaches upon Second Amendment rights.

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Email sent, Dawg thanks for simplifying a response. Passed the word to other forums, hope everyone does the same.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    no one can actually afford a wife, thats why its payments for the rest of your life, until you're dead.

I've been trying, without success, to locate a rich boyfriend for my wife. You'd think more guys would have an interest in a former athlete.

I guess "athlete" is the right word. She was a professional wrestler ....... until the brain injury cut her career short. She still has flashbacks when she hears a bell ring.

The UPS driver refuses to deliver to my house. Well, he'll deliver ...... but he refuses to ring the doorbell.

KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    If Im not mistaken this bill was voted on and was like 16 for and 14 against...They are trying to resubmit it again....Im not 100% sure about this,I recieved some info last week after the senate meeting ,My senator also sent me a email ,ill try to find it and paste it..He voted for it and supports it....I think the majority vote wasnt there...Im guessing at these numbers ,i remember it being very close though..Thanks for all the responses....

Anyone who joins the NRA can get emails on all this on a daily account as it happens..NRA does a great job on keeping us updated[members]....

J

jayd

You'd think more guys would have an interest in a former athlete....
    She was a professional wrestler ....... until the brain injury cut her career short. She still has flashbacks when she hears a bell ring.

The UPS driver refuses to deliver to my house. Well, he'll deliver ...... but he refuses to ring the doorbell.

95543192.jpg

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Received this today from Damon Baldone (D):

"Thank you for taking the time to write to me to express your concerns on HB 68. I will oppose this bill when I have the opportunity to vote on this bill.

Representative Damon J. Baldone"

Nice to see we have some (D)s on our side... :bravo:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom