HELP! Optics problem...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If anyone can possibly provide me with a little insight, and direction I’d appreciate it. I’m looking for an optics rig for my Tactical Mini 14. Specifically, I’m looking for an optics rig that has a scope with some magnification, and a holographic sight that piggybacks the scope. Hence, I can pull up and catch the holographic sight for fast acquisition, or look into the scope for a shot that has a little distance to it. I’ll be using it for pigs, varmints and such. Does anyone know where I can acquire a rig described above, or have one pieced together? It has to fit my Mini and not an AR platform. To make matters even more difficult...I have an "eye" problem...I can't "see" paying $800 for a rig I described above....Needs to be somewhat affordable. Thanks guys!!

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Optics are one of those "get what you pay for" things... and super-ninja setups like that aren't cheap. What kind of distances are you looking at? one of the 1-4x scopes would probably be plenty, there are a few of them for decent prices, think Burris has one.

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    There's a model of ACOG that comes with small red dot's sitting above them. The ACOG will provide magnification and a ballistic retical, the small red dot above will give you that.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I looked at the Trijicon ACOG/RMR combos. I'm aware of their pricing; and it's more than I'm willing to pay. Yes, I know you get what you pay for in optics, however it's going to be on my Mini. I don't need anything too deep or expensive, after all the bullistics on the Mini 14 go crap after 150 yards. I guess I'll put something together myself. Thanks for the insight.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have no experience with this optic but it is a less expensive option.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...nknown;cat104792580;cat104752080;cat104623380

I looked at that set-up as well. It's what I'm looking for...I just don't know about it mounting onto the Mini. I have factory rings for the gun. However, the holographic sight appears to be custom mounted on the rings used with the Burris. Do you think my rings could be subed for the ones used on this rig?

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Have no fear NcStar is here
    To provide you with your ninja gear...
    Combine your mounts to this scope
    Add that ass. Ring and mount the dot on it. Wa-lah
    da2ubade.jpg