Help selecting a .270 rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I think the 770 is designed for the hunter who is going to take his rifle out the week before hunting season, shoot it 3 or 4 times to check zero, and MAYBE shoot another 5-10 times during the season, then pick it up for the year. Don't expect great things from the scope/mounts combo and you shouldn't be disappointed. If you're going to go with a different mount/scope set up, then just get the 700 in the first place and start with an action that has better components.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    If you're going to go with a different mount/scope set up, then just get the 700 in the first place and start with an action that has better components.

Having been a Browning shooter most of my life, since I starting shooting a Rem 700 in competition, I agree with Ritten on going the 700 way. More versatile if you plan to build on it, if not, still a good all-round dependable rifle and action.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    My friend is looking into getting a 270 rifle. My experience with rifles is limited(.22LR & 30-06). Can anyone suggest a brand they have experience with? ... this gun will be used primarily for hunting deer.

I would suggest that you take a moment and ask yourself one question... How well do you know this "friend"? You might be unaware of this, but the .270 is a big enemy of the police, and you are trying to help put this gun on the street. I very seriously doubt your friend will be hunting with this rifle, more likely to be using it for carjackings. Search your heart and see if this would truly be the zen thing to do.

graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    I would suggest that you take a moment and ask yourself one question... How well do you know this "friend"? You might be unaware of this, but the .270 is a big enemy of the police, and you are trying to help put this gun on the street. I very seriously doubt your friend will be hunting with this rifle, more likely to be using it for carjackings. Search your heart and see if this would truly be the zen thing to do.

I'm taking this as a joke??

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    I wouldn't say that it was good. IMO it cast a negative image on Louisiana and the police officers in our state.

If you want to see Steven Seagal make antigun remarks and show that he learned what the law is from Law and Order type shows, make sure to check it out. Also, be warned that you will spend a lot of time listening to him talk about zen. I would watch future episodes, if only to hear just how little Seagal knows about Louisiana law. I don't really have anything against Seagal, but you can tell that while he might have been deputized in LA twenty years ago, he hasn't spent the last twenty years as a LA police officer. I wish he wouldn't go around asking if people's guns are registered, and saying that a gun (.270) is an enemy of the police. No guns are anyone's enemy. Guns are inanimate objects that can be used against someone BY their enemy.

Sorry to rant. Good: no. Worth watching: maybe.

BasinSniper

Bandolier
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I have two 700's, one in 7-08 and one in .270, great rifles but I plan to/am doing some upgrades now.

If I wanted a bone stock deer rifle I would probably get the Tikka T3, super smooth and better fit/finish than the SPS remingtons.

Don't get the 770, you can get a 700 SPS for around 450 then throw a nikon prostaff on it for 125, 30 dollar set of leupold rings and you got a much better deer hunting rig. only problem is that plastic stock is garbage.

Last edited:

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    I have had a .270 Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker with the B.O.S.S. system since 1995 and have been very pleased with its performance. It has a detachable magazine and very manageable recoil thanks to the ported muzzle brake incorporated into the B.O.S.S. system. Rifle is a tack driver and very flat shooting. I use 130gr ballistic silvertips and keep the rifle at a 200yd zero. Can't go wrong with this setup IMO.

chris98tj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    I have had a .270 Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker with the B.O.S.S. system since 1995 and have been very pleased with its performance. It has a detachable magazine and very manageable recoil thanks to the ported muzzle brake incorporated into the B.O.S.S. system. Rifle is a tack driver and very flat shooting. I use 130gr ballistic silvertips and keep the rifle at a 200yd zero. Can't go wrong with this setup IMO.

X2 but i have the semi-auto and use core-lokt 130gr

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My son uses a Mod. 70 Winchester in .270WSM . He's got three 8 pts in three years out in Texas . Every one dropped like a rock . He uses the Federal Fuzzion rounds .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom