Help w/ Family Heirloom Wood Stock Repair

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    AEC919BA-3FE6-4B16-BC01-1FBC367C77A5.jpeg
    596075B1-0E17-4295-9B73-767E6922CDCD.jpeg
    73EAF23D-F4D5-4270-9800-C77FC295B78A.jpeg
    822AF02E-AF7F-4DC4-9C5B-88E4CCEEADD8.jpeg
    D1868549-6E00-4589-9DF4-BD330092F089.jpeg
    DCF8899D-AA78-4392-8E0E-DA7ABD20DC8D.jpeg
    B30F9E4D-5514-484E-A6DE-33622407F4E7.jpeg

I inherited a Japanese made Weatherby Vanguard from my grandfather. The wood stock is cracked in a few places near the trigger guard. The rifle still feels solid and could possibly even still produce deer lethal groups. Being that it is a sentimental rifle I would prefer to repair the wood stock than replace it with a modern synthetic or aftermarket. It looks as though I may be able to use some type of wood glue or epoxy and clamp in a couple locations to get it in a more stable and aesthetically pleasing state. Any recommendations on the adhesive I should use or way to go about this properly? Attached are some pics. Thanks.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I would check with some local woodworkers, the old way to repair it is to cut a keyway and put a wafer in to give strength between the two pieces. I don't think you could clean it good enough to get epoxy to stick between them and if you clamp it it will mostly squeeze out leaving not much glue to adhere. I know of a couple of guys on other gun boards but not on BS. Good Luck!

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I would check with some local woodworkers, the old way to repair it is to cut a keyway and put a wafer in to give strength between the two pieces. I don't think you could clean it good enough to get epoxy to stick between them and if you clamp it it will mostly squeeze out leaving not much glue to adhere. I know of a couple of guys on other gun boards but not on BS. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the info!

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    There is a man known as “the stock doctor” talked about on the CMP forum. I believe his name is Rick Borsky. May want to see if you can find him. He has an excellent reputation.

Hotdogbun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2022
    Minden
    Along with glue, another fix is to install threaded brass rods (called stock repair pins) that will hold and bind the two pieces together. Not as good as the pros will do it, but would be a workable solution to make the stock functional.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Honestly, the stock isn't that old and fixing it may be more trouble that it's worth. Consider a replacement that's pretty close. Might even be able to find an older, new to you, stock from the same maker. Have it refinished and no one will know but you. Take the knowledge to your grave. Good luck.

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    I’d test it with clamps first to ensure there’s no debris inside and if the crack closes with no visible remaining crack showing, you’d be Golden to use the Hotstuff.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Honestly, the stock isn't that old and fixing it may be more trouble that it's worth. Consider a replacement that's pretty close. Might even be able to find an older, new to you, stock from the same maker. Have it refinished and no one will know but you. Take the knowledge to your grave. Good luck.
    I emailed Weatherby and they wanted ~$450 for their basic wood stock that didn’t look the same. I’ve been keeping an eye on auction sites for takeoffs in case repairing this one doesn’t pan out so that is certainly an option just to get it back in the woods.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I’d test it with clamps first to ensure there’s no debris inside and if the crack closes with no visible remaining crack showing, you’d be Golden to use the Hotstuff.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It closes up pretty tight just pushing with my fingers, but I’ll have to get some rubber coated clamps and verify.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I remember waay back in the 80s ads for aftermarket Wood stocks For Weatherbys. And lots of extras available. I’m not sure if those companies are still around but should be cheaper than Weatherby.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    i would look into a replacement stock. it is hard to tell if the cracks are from recoil or possibly being dropped. if this is a heavy recoiling rifle, any repair should be accompanied by some serious glass bedding to support the action. good luck, but it appears there is substantial damage to the stock right at the point of highest stress during recoil.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    i would look into a replacement stock. it is hard to tell if the cracks are from recoil or possibly being dropped. if this is a heavy recoiling rifle, any repair should be accompanied by some serious glass bedding to support the action. good luck, but it appears there is substantial damage to the stock right at the point of highest stress during recoil.
    I'm not sure either. It is a 7mm Rem Mag so could be due to recoil and age of stock.

Kee

Aware
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    There is a local gentleman who can fix it. He lives in Denham Springs. His work on stocks is amazing.
    Lee “Gunny” Bihm
    Text him 225-571-4 seven seven 8
    He is also on Bayoushooter.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    There is a local gentleman who can fix it. He lives in Denham Springs. His work on stocks is amazing.
    Lee “Gunny” Bihm
    Text him 225-571-4 seven seven 8
    He is also on Bayoushooter.
    Agree, lee is pretty good with stock repairs/restorations. He helped me with fixing my dads bar stock a few years back. Not only did he help me out he opened up his place and taught me to make the repair. I can't recall his name on here but he is a great guy and very willing to help and pass on knowledge. My dad still shoots the gun today and you can't tell it was repaired and it was cracked in the checkering.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom