Help with colt 1892 value

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrfount

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Livingston, La
    I was given a very well used 1892 in .38LC, for some gratis repair work I did. SNs ID it as a 1904 manufacture unit. Plastic grips and lack of acceptance stamps indicate that it was civilian issued. You can see in the picture that the ejector rod is broken and the left grip has a missing corner. Cylinder lock up is out of time. For a 109 year old pistol the rifling looks pretty darn good. I fully expect to be a wall hanger, unless I can turn it into something more useful, my problem is I can't seem to find any reasonable information on real world value. Good condition units on GB are listed at prices well beyond what this could hope for, I can't find any reference for a well worn unit. If anyone has any actual experience with value on these let me know. Thanks.

6tfzawmbgvixhia34a1.jpg

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Looking at my current copy of the Blue Book, it shows that one in approximately 60%, which I would say yours falls into that category -/+, to be worth $300, but it subtracts $100-$200 for broken hard rubber grips or broken action.

It also shows that civilian models bring 10-25% less than a military model of the same gun in the same condition.

So on the high end I would say $300, on the low end, $100.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Must agree with DS727.
    Were I looking to buy I would pay in the $300 to $100 range.
    Big things for me are original grip condition/availability and lack of military proofs.
    Some of the early metallurgy can be brittle so the ejector rod is not a deal killer but I would do a thorough internals inspection despite of frame lock (which you would expect to be sloppy given condition).

Hope this helps.

jrfount

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Livingston, La
    Thank you for the input, that falls pretty close to what I expected. Now I just need to decide if I want to make a couple hundred bucks or have a nice piece of history to go in a view case. Decisions decisions.

Top Bottom