Help with this old mauser???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    I bought the rifle from my uncle with knowledge it was my grandfather's before he died. I know nothing about it other than it looks like a mauser action and looks like it was manufactured by fnh. Perhaps this rifle was built off a mauser action back in the day? If anyone know much about these let me know. I don't see caliber or anything on it, although the hole in the end looks to be .308. I don't know much about old guns or where to find out more.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    4CACC435-3F9E-4DC2-B528-81A5C94CEB29_zpsomxz5zxp.jpg

388C21A6-130A-4EE0-B89F-9F5DF0D078F6_zpsupyqls1p.jpg

D26C8F44-D1C8-4DC4-9574-7C576C99214E_zpsokqsbgfo.jpg

14F8F2BC-6FBE-423A-827A-2F241A03A3F9_zpsgumf0akm.jpg

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    I figured out it is .30-06 by chambering a round in it. The numbers pictured are all I see without taking the stock off. What other info can I get that could help us figure out approximate year made and such. It is a two stage trigger and appears to have the dovetail cutout for stripper clip and thumb cut out, and a two position safety. I did find some info that would suggest it is a military or prewar action, is this the case?

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    The stamp on the left side of the receiver says "Fab. Nat. D’Armes de Guerre – Herstal, Belgique," which means it is Belgian FN Mauser receiver. It looks like it is a FN Model 1950, which were manufactured post-war in .30-06 (NOT rebarreled or remanufactured). The biggest clue is the large cut in the rear receiver ring, which allows clearance for the use of stripper clips with the longer .30-06 ammunition. Without a crest on top of the forward receiver ring, it is difficult to pinpoint the exact model, tho. It looks to have been sporterized, with the stock being cut and the receiver drilled. This is a nice rifle!

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    The stamp on the left side of the receiver says "Fab. Nat. D’Armes de Guerre – Herstal, Belgique," which means it is Belgian FN Mauser receiver. It looks like it is a FN Model 1950, which were manufactured post-war in .30-06 (NOT rebarreled or remanufactured). The biggest clue is the large cut in the rear receiver ring, which allows clearance for the use of stripper clips with the longer .30-06 ammunition. Without a crest on top of the forward receiver ring, it is difficult to pinpoint the exact model, tho. It looks to have been sporterized, with the stock being cut and the receiver drilled. This is a nice rifle!

So I did ok at 150$? :mamoru: I don't feel bad about stealing it at that price cause the guns my dad inherited kinda sucked. But I don't understand why it wouldn't have more markings on it. Is that just how guns were sold back then?

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    The Belgians manufactured them for temporary military use until the 1950 autos replaced them. They were imported in the 60's and sold in stores like Sears. No clue why yours doesn't have a crest, can only guess it was removed when it was sporterized. You did great, that rifle could fetch at least $500.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Don't assume it's 30-06 because you can chamber a 30-06 rd. Plenty of calibers will chamber a 30-06 rd. Bring it to a knowledgeable gunsmith and have them make a chamber cast to be sure.

Better safe then sorry.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    Don't assume it's 30-06 because you can chamber a 30-06 rd. Plenty of calibers will chamber a 30-06 rd. Bring it to a knowledgeable gunsmith and have them make a chamber cast to be sure.

Better safe then sorry.

I felt confident it was 30-06 so I loaded up some 178 amax and 55g of superformance and it shot way better than I imagined!
    0EC97F5D-0355-45CC-88F0-9BC4F4DB6B1B_zpsvq38s8fe.jpg

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    The stock appears to be a commercial sporter walnut stock from Fajen or Bishop , looks way too good to be a reworked military stock.
    Rebarreled in 30-06 with some good open sights installed, and appears to have been already drilled and tapped for a scope, bolt handle turned down to clear the scope, the work appears well done ....sporters don't get much better than this one, appears to shoot great to boot!
    And it belonged to your Grandfather.....that makes it priceless. Congratulations !
    Gary

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    The stock appears to be a commercial sporter walnut stock from Fajen or Bishop , looks way too good to be a reworked military stock.
    Rebarreled in 30-06 with some good open sights installed, and appears to have been already drilled and tapped for a scope, bolt handle turned down to clear the scope, the work appears well done ....sporters don't get much better than this one, appears to shoot great to boot!
    And it belonged to your Grandfather.....that makes it priceless. Congratulations !
    Gary
    You know your stuff!! It does say bishop on the butt plate. Thanks all!

Top Bottom