Hey AC guys

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    So I have an issue and since its 18:00 on a sat good luck finding anyone tonight. I was in my bedroom and hear a loud bang (shooting a gun load) outside my window. A few min alter I notice the house getting warm. Now the outside fan run but I'm guessing the compressor won't kick on. Went up stairs and LAN isn't full of water. Opinions on what it could be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Either a cap blew on the compressor unit or the compressor itself blew a terminal. 1st option cheap and easy, second one not so much.
    How handy are you with the tools? easy diagnosis, should be able to tell by sight what is wrong and power disconnected

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    Look at where the two copper lines go into the unit. Take the cap off, looks kind of like a car tire valve stem. Push on on the valve stem of the big line, if any freon comes out you didn't blow the compressor terminals. If no freon comes out you will need a new compressor. Being that its only three years old it should be under warranty.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    There is an access panel somewhere on the side, remove it and you should see either 1 or 2 capicitors, look at them, it will be obvious if they are blown. On the compressor, there may be an access panel, may have to remove the top of the unit. There will be 3 wires going to the comp and a plastic cap where they go in secured by a strap or bolt. Pull the plastic cap and it will be obvious if one is blown out.
    Note, remove ALL power if you dont know what you are doing. Disconnect the outside unit and turn off the breaker(s) for the inside unit. There is 240v supplied to the outside unit and also 24vdc present in the system (some have the transformer outside, most are on the inside unit, that is why you will still have 24v dc present even though you disconnected the outside unit).
    I would say at least 80% chance it is an outside capacitor. Cost to replace it yourself, about $20. Cost for a serviceman to come do it, minumum $100.
    If it is a compressor terminal blown, must replace compressor and that wont be cheap.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Look at where the two copper lines go into the unit. Take the cap off, looks kind of like a car tire valve stem. Push on on the valve stem of the big line, if any freon comes out you didn't blow the compressor terminals. If no freon comes out you will need a new compressor. Being that its only three years old it should be under warranty.
    True, easier way to diagnose

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    There is an access panel somewhere on the side, remove it and you should see either 1 or 2 capicitors, look at them, it will be obvious if they are blown. On the compressor, there may be an access panel, may have to remove the top of the unit. There will be 3 wires going to the comp and a plastic cap where they go in secured by a strap or bolt. Pull the plastic cap and it will be obvious if one is blown out.
    Note, remove ALL power if you dont know what you are doing. Disconnect the outside unit and turn off the breaker(s) for the inside unit. There is 240v supplied to the outside unit and also 24vdc present in the system (some have the transformer outside, most are on the inside unit, that is why you will still have 24v dc present even though you disconnected the outside unit).
    I would say at least 80% chance it is an outside capacitor. Cost to replace it yourself, about $20. Cost for a serviceman to come do it, minumum $100.
    If it is a compressor terminal blown, must replace compressor and that wont be cheap.

It's 24 volts ac and that's your control power.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR

There's still freon so that's good now for step 2

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    +1 on the capacitor. I've had it happen several times. The first time a lizard had got into the control box and stepped across the capacitor terminals, evidently sparked and blew the wire off. The technician checking it just had to plug it back in, still charged me a service fee, but I was glad to pay, saw how to fix it, and have done so several times on my own since then. Capacitors are relatively inexpensive but it mostly has been the terminal that shorts out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom