Highpower Across the Course Team Match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Today 12 of us braved the weather to shoot a highpower across the course team match. The basic match format consisted of 4 man teams shooting a 50 shot across the course match. 2 shooters would pair fire while one of the more experienced shooters coached. We managed to escape most of the rain, however, the wind behind the front was quite challenging. At 300 yards, it required 4 MOA to center up the shots. At 600, the magazine length bullets (75grs) where taking around 10 MOA to center up. It was quite a bit of fun until the wind snapped off one of the target frames. Because such a situation can get dangerous we called it a day to the disappointment of the shooters who had not had their chance at 600 yards.

In spite of the conditions, some pretty good scores were fired. BS member RJenkins managed a 190-10X at 600 yards in a switching and gusty 13+ mph wind. His JLK 80 gr VLD (very low drag) bullets required significantly less windage correction than the magazine length 75 Hornadys (like little more than half), but they still required a careful eye on the wind changes.

It seemed like everyone enjoyed the format so we will probably have more of these matches in the future.

Dan

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    His JLK 80 gr VLD (very low drag) bullets required significantly less windage correction than the magazine length 75 Hornadys (like little more than half), but they still required a careful eye on the wind changes.
    Dan

What did you shoot? What ammo were you using? Where do you get such bullets? I'm waiting for my WOA upper. When it gets in I'll come and shoot again. I know I still have a lot to learn. :)

Charles

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    It was fun, neat was the added concept of pair or in turn firing.

I really was flummoxed about the amount of knocking around I was taking in the Off hand position. I would get ready to break a pretty shot and the wind would knock me over into the other teams target.

I also found that a hard back coat Really helps me in prone position but it caused NPA issues from ride up and it cost me several 8's late in the string.

You sure 9 Min? I had 11 clicks with 75 grain slow loads.

When we shot last weekend, I had 9 MOA with the Hornady 75 at 600. I was starting to think it was just me.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    THAT is impressive.

The ability to dope wind & mirage, when in prone and on the clock, is what separates the shooters from the wanna-bes.

What is much more impressive is that he was pair firing at the time. That means that the shooter on the right fires a shot, the target is scored then the shooter on the left fires. It takes around a minute to go through that cycle. Therefore, each shot is a completely new wind call. It is like you are doping the wind for every shot. When you shoot by yourself, you can shoot quickly to try and take advantage of "your" wind condition. With pair firing, your partner sets the rhythm and you have to shoot the condition you are presented with.

Bob is one of the best wind dopers that shoots at Palo Alto. I put him with the new adult shooters (all BSers because he is a good coach.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    What did you shoot? What ammo were you using? Where do you get such bullets? I'm waiting for my WOA upper. When it gets in I'll come and shoot again. I know I still have a lot to learn. :)

Charles

I was on the relay that didn't get to shoot Saturday. The wind broke one of the target frames and we called the match.

I would have been shooting 80gr Sierras over 24.6 gr RL15. You can get them at almost any reloading supplier.

You don't have to wait to shoot.;)

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    When we shot last weekend, I had 9 MOA with the Hornady 75 at 600. I was starting to think it was just me.

It is quite possible that you didn't have a good no wind zero (starting point) when you counted off your wind. The state guns are not fired enough by people who know how to find a no wind zero for it to have been determined. It isn't a problem to shoot a match with one unless the wind is switching from one side to another.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I really was flummoxed about the amount of knocking around I was taking in the Off hand position. I would get ready to break a pretty shot and the wind would knock me over into the other teams target.

I can stand in a an indoor range with my CLE .22 upper and my coat on and consistently shoot 20 shot sub-quarter sized 25 yard groups. This would relate to sub-ten ring sized groups at 200 yards (super high X count). However, when you take away the flat concrete floor and replace it with an uneven dirt and grass firing line and you add wind, especially gusty wind, keeping it in the black (9 ring) becomes quite a challenge.

Zeek

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    It is quite possible that you didn't have a good no wind zero (starting point) when you counted off your wind. The state guns are not fired enough by people who know how to find a no wind zero for it to have been determined. It isn't a problem to shoot a match with one unless the wind is switching from one side to another.

The first sighter I took at 600 hit the right side of the target frame. I had not adjusted the windage from 300, just elevation. I started adding 6 clicks left at a time until I got close. Elevation was perfect with 23 clicks up, the 11.5 MOA you suggested. When I was finished, the rear sight looked to be almost maxed out to the left, so I turned it to where I though the zero was marked and counted off the clicks to 36. We can check it, but I know I turned a shload of left into it. My main problem was trying to chase the wind and not really knowing what I was doing. After I thought I had it where I wanted it and stopped adjusting, my last 6 shots were pretty good. (9,10,8,10,10,X)

I am going to stick with the same load for a while until I get familiar enough to know if a change is better or worse. I know enough to not change several things at once, and the first thing I need to work on is me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom