HIGHPOWER RIFLE CLINIC, May 24, 2008

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club will host an NRA Highpower Rifle Clinic on May 24, 2008. The Clinic Program is below. If you have any questions, contact me at dzelenka@couhigpartners.com Feel free to pass this information on to anyone you think may be interested.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HIGHPOWER RIFLE CLINIC

May 24, 2008

Donaldsonville, Louisiana

Basic NRA Across the Course Shooting Clinic

SPONSOR:
    Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club

ELIGIBILITY:

Open to all Shooters aged 14 and older having some experience with firearms and safety.

FEES:
    A $10 registration fee for the clinic includes use of rifles and equipment.

.223 Match ammunition will be available for $25 per box of 50. You must use this ammunition if you use one of the program’s rifles. Ammo is free for juniors.

ENTRIES:
    It is requested that you pre-register by email or fax prior to the date of the clinic. Send your information to Dan Zelenka at dzelenka@couhigpartners.com. Dan Zelenka’s telephone numbers are (504) 565-3727 (W) and (504) 421-1323 (C). Registration will be limited to 20 shooters on a first come first served basis. Participants may register on the day of the clinic if space is available. Check-in and registration will commence at 7:30 AM on the day of the clinic. Instruction will begin at 8:00.

DIRECTIONS TO THE RANGE:
    Take I-10 to the Sorrento Donaldsonville exit and go toward Donaldsonville.

Turn left onto LA 70. (At the caution light)

Go across the Sunshine Bridge and into the city of Donaldsonville. (Bear right at the road fork between the bridge and Donaldsonville)

Go to the 4th light and turn left onto LA. Hwy. 1

Go approximately 3½ miles to LA Hwy. 943. Turn right at the black wooden rail fence. (there is no Hwy. marker at the intersection)

Go approximately 3½ miles. The highway will then make a very sharp right turn.

The range will be on your left (red gate) approx. 150 yards after the sharp right turn.

FORMAT:
    This clinic is designed to introduce shooters to NRA Highpower competition. The material will explain the course of fire, equipment, positions, natural point of aim, sight picture, focus, trigger control, scoring, etc. All firing will be at 200 yds.

EQUIPMENT:
    If participants have their own rifles and equipment, they are encouraged to bring them. However, match prepared AR-15s, scopes and mats will be provided. In addition, ammunition will be made available for purchase by the participants. Some jackets may be available for use, but participants should bring a field jacket or long sleeved sweat shirt if they have one. Shooters may desire to bring a work or ski glove for their non-trigger hand. Participants should also wear long pants and either lace-up shoes or boots (no flip-flops). Participants should also bring eye and ear protection.

RIFLES:
    This clinic will concentrate on NRA service rifle competition. Therefore, appropriate rifles will consist of AR-15s, M1As and M1 Garands. Appropriate AR-15s are clones of the military M16 A2 and A4. Optical sights are not appropriate. There will be National Match configured AR-15s at the clinic for participants’ use. These are accurate rifles and will shorten your learning curve. If you are unsure of the appropriateness of your rifle contact Dan Zelenka to discuss it.

REFRESHMENTS:
    There are no facilities for the purchase of food and drink at the range, and we will not break for lunch. Therefore, it is strongly encouraged that each of the participants bring water or Gatorade to drink (drinks containing caffeine are not recommended) and a snack or sandwich to eat. It may be HOT. Please prepare accordingly.

In addition to the Clinic on May 24th, there is a reduced course match at the Ascension Parish Sheriff’s range on May 25th. Ideally the clinic participants would also shoot the match to put into practice what they learn on Saturday.

Dan Zelenka

Last edited:

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I took a gander at Google Earth at the location. Is Souvigner Road a dirt or paved road? Just asking as I was going to bring the car. If not, I'll be driving the truck. :)

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Shouldn't have to get on Souvigner Rd. If looking at Google Earth, the range is located off of 943 near Castro Rd. Attached a Google Map with location.

Last edited:

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Got it. I found the the information dot for it on Google Earth. I had been using the maps on the Palo Alto site, and they have the range in a different location. But, you can clearly see the range at on Google Earth where you have it ticked, LCPL.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Lot of people viewing this thread. We can use a couple more who are interested in learning how to play the game.

This weekend, we had a follow-up clinic where we brought some of our lower classification competitors out for a coached practice at 200 and 300 yards. I think it was heplful for all who came out. We will not abandon you once you start competing with us. Our goal is to provide periodic training so that everyone can shoot Expert scores (89 - 94%) It is very doable if you work on the basics - position, natural point of aim, focus on front sight, sight picture and trigger control.

Dan

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    Would love to make it just cant be 100% sure my schedule will permit and i dont want to take a spot from anyone since your email said spots were limited. Hopefully theres an open spot should i be able to make this.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I went to yesterday's practice. You've got Distinguished Riflemen and Masters+ sharing decades of combined knowledge on the line and in the pits. They discuss anything and everything you can think of related to shooting. I like the fact that they instruct by suggestion. It's not "my way or highway". It's try this or try that, not do this or do that. Even if you consider yourself an excellent shooter, I bet you'll walk away with at least one good piece of advice. I guarantee that you won't feel you or your young ones will be wasting time or money. I met a proud father yesterday that had brought his son out to the adjoining 100 yrd line to practice. The young man went from a low B, C student to an A, B student after taking up the shooting sports. If you're on this forum then you know the value of discipline that shooting imparts. (Plus if you get them addicted to it then you've got leverage to keep those grades up.)

/just remember to bring sunscreen :o
    //I should know better by now
    ///if anyone needs me I'll be dry-firing in the back

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    We did have a good time yesterday. I think everyone got to do some good work - coaches included. Sun screen would have been a big help.

LCPL 4 mentioned that the coaches only make suggestions. This is by necessity because what may work for one person, may not work for another. People vary in body shape and flexibility so everyone's position is a little different. The only way to build YOUR position is to try a bunch of things. Some combination will likely work. I have had problems with my sitting position in the last year. The day before our regional, I had 5 USAMU members and their coach work with me on my position. The adjustments were to my sling length, sling position on my arm, set up of my mat, how I mount my gun, and other "tweaks". They must have done a pretty good job because the six 10-shot strings that I have fired since then were 97, 98, 98, 97, 99 and 99. Not there yet, but soon.

We try to use the same method to coach not only the new guys, but each other.

Dan

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I don't need any surprises, so if you are thinking of coming or bringing anyone, let me know. My last count was about 20 shooters and 9 coaches. I have enough "maybe's" to really fill the class, but if you are interterested in highpower competition, I will try to find a way to accomodate you. I am looking for a couple more coaches right now.

RDO, you are good to go. If you are thinking of calling your friend who helped us rebuild the targets, he will certainly get a space. Let me know.

Dan

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Dan,
    Target rebuilder guy was my first contact the day after getting the initial email. He has to do something but wanted to do the clinic.
    This other guy is a pretty serious shooter = shooting is his day job. I just thought if you need to fill some spots.

I'm looking forward to the Clinic. I will bring food, water, wasp spray, TP and small unmarked bills.

Thanks,
    RDO

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    If his initials are A.Y., I spoke to him the other night. He mentioned someone that fit your description. Somehow I thought it was you. He said that he had "old eyes". I told him we would work on finding a solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    never miss at 200 yards
    Top Bottom