hiking/backpacking 20+miles. glock vs ar pistol?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Maybe this was already obvious to you and you've checked into it already, but have you checked into the relevant laws regarding firearms in the areas you will be visiting?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    they advised me to stay <15% of my body weight, so by their math I'm good for 30lbs but I was challenged to stay under 25. My pack without consumables and without the spare mag is 16.8. I think I'm alright...

Chris's gear w/o consumables but with camera batteries etc is only 13lbs, but hes got super top dollar gear. All those ounces and grams adding up I guess.

edit: damn water is heavy :( hehe first timer here, but im bringing the glock even if I have to lifestraw my way through the rockies.

Last edited:

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Unless you are really going into the bush, like dropping off somewhere in no-man's-land, I would without a doubt pack something that is invisible to other hikers you might encounter. Low key is always best.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Madwabbit, seriously post your gear list if you're new to this! There are inexpensive ways to cut your weight. Not to mention there are things in there you'll never use. If you don't want to post it PM me.

Most important thing is to coordinate with your fellow hikers. Some redundancy is good, 4 stoves for example is overkill. Two water filters, two stoves with matching fuel, etc. Go back through your clothing and reduce.

I've hiked extensively with a Beretta M21 in .22lr and survived...

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Madwabbit, seriously post your gear list if you're new to this! There are inexpensive ways to cut your weight. Not to mention there are things in there you'll never use. If you don't want to post it PM me.

Most important thing is to coordinate with your fellow hikers. Some redundancy is good, 4 stoves for example is overkill. Two water filters, two stoves with matching fuel, etc. Go back through your clothing and reduce.

I've hiked extensively with a Beretta M21 in .22lr and survived...

they told me they'd quarterback what i packed and said they'd repack my gear to distribute weight. I'll absolutely PM ya though. appreciate it

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Oh are we actually doing this? I will make it fair for y'all and only run at 6:15 at night in the heat! As for guns and hiking / being out in the woods. I have a little experience with both and I say that an extra magazine is definitely worth it weight wise. I know many hardcore hikers really care about cutting down on the ounces, but I still say I would rather have two full mags of ammo readily available when faced with the potential of having to shoot something big and ugly...like a bear! If two mags isn't enough, well you are probably screwed anyway! :P

If a grizzly bear charges you in the woods and you are able to get off 2 mags you are a true gunfighter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Some friends and I are making a few trips this summer to do some hiking and photography in various locations throughout the rockies; Cloudcroft, NM, Durango, CO, and we are contemplating a stop in Montana as well, probably Polebridge.

I'm debating which firearm to include in my pack, and room and weight are getting scarce. Unfortunately the guys im going with aren't much help. They are experienced hikers and climbers but firearms just aren't their thing.

Anyhow, my choices:

9mm:
    G19 w/ a few G17 mags in the pack.
    Sub2k

.223/5.56:
    Exp-556 (pistol)
    SU-16 (folding rifle)

I'd really appreciate the advice of any hikers/climbers here that carry in a pack. I won't lie, I'm half hoping that this trip will give me a reason to use my exp for something other than a range toy lol, but that doesn't mean its the practical option.

Anyone have suggestions/input based on my current options?

edit: minor climbing as well- no comfy trail walk here, so + that to consideration.

Just remember Colorado doesn't like any more than 15 rounds in a mag...

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If a grizzly bear charges you in the woods and you are able to get off 2 mags you are a true gunfighter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

hehe. I youtubed it- cant believe how fast they are to be so big. that 4 legs vs 2 thing... nature got that formula correct.

While googling I found out that the animals that kill the post people on our projected path: bison (second to rattlesnakes). bison! If i had ten guesses I wouldn't have been correct. apparently people walk up to bison for a selfie, thinking they are harmless- then get gored. who knew a 2,000lb bison could run 35mph, holy crap.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    neat tip for anyone that cares: my buddy told me that they attach bells by C clips to their packs- the jingling and noise making scares off most animals you'd consider a gun for anyway. also, in the same email he told me the only "ugly" situations they've been in were human related, and the most dangerous wildlife they've directly encountered were yotes and foxes. (He's got pictures of bison, bears, elk, cougars, and bobcats... but taken from distance)

Im really looking forward to the trip

This Joke is meant for Boy Scouts.
    The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
    They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
    Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
    It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
    Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    In all seriousness, I would go with barbarossa's advise, stay concealed, and arm yourself for the human problem. I've lived in Wyoming and Colorado, I've seen grizzly bears in person(in yellowstone) and moose, elk, bison while backpacking. Never any cats. Quite honestly I'd go with the bear spray. If that didn't work, I'd lay down and poop myself. I don't think a 9mm would be much more than a bee sting to most bears, and any handgun round will likely agitate them further. Moose, elk, bison, just leave them alone and they will reciprocate. The bells are not a bad idea, but, while it will scare off any wildlife, it will scare off the wildlife, which is half the reason I like backpacking.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    IF you've ever seen a grizzly up close then anything short of an AR in .308 is less than I want! up to 10' tall (look up at your ceiling and picture it...) and about the weight of a cow... and you want to handle that with a handgun? 12ga with 3" slugs maybe. So go with the bear spray and keep the pistol for human threats.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom