Holy Crap....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Meh, black widow isn't really much of a threat to a fully grown human. I mean, it would still suck like hell, but not really as life threatening as their reputation would suggest. Kids and the elderly are something else entirely though.

Now the brown recluse on the other hand...I've see forearms and legs that were bitten and later had to have large chunks of dead flesh removed...not a pretty sight.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Meh, black widow isn't really much of a threat to a fully grown human. I mean, it would still suck like hell, but not really as life threatening as their reputation would suggest. Kids and the elderly are something else entirely though.

Now the brown recluse on the other hand...I've see forearms and legs that were bitten and later had to have large chunks of dead flesh removed...not a pretty sight.

Black widows can affect many people adversely who don't fall into the young and elderly bracket. It all depends on the individual person.

Most of us know if we're allergic to bees because we've all been stung. Most of us don't know how we'd react to venomous spiders. Or nonvenomous snakes for that matter. Even they can give you your share of problems. Just because you're considered a healthy adult doesn't mean you're in the clear. Best to get to the doc asap regardless.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I didn't say don't go to the doctor; just that they aren't the deadly killers they've been made out to be. There are much worse things to be afraid of, like members of the green party ;)

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    A few years ago one of my friends bought an old boat, a 26 footer, and asked me to do some wood work on it. My first day there I saw a black widow... then another, and another... come to find out the boat was infested with them. There were at least dozens of them.

The first thing I did was ask for more money... the next thing was I bought the biggest leaf blower I could find, and each day before I worked on it I would go all over the boat with the 220mph blower, following it up with 3 or 4 more blowout sessions throughout the day.

Even with all that, I always felt like they were crawling all over me. Just something about 'em.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I'd run out of the house myself. I hate spiders with a passion.

A few years ago, my GF and I went down to the Barataria Preserve in Lafitte. Yeah, big mistake. We made it all the way to the end of the 1/4 mile trail, but I'm scarred for life. Forget gators and snakes, I hate those damn spiders. They build their webs over the trail, and just sit there with their long skinny legs. Ewwwwww :eek3:

Then another time, we were cutting my GF's mom's grass in Folsom, and there was a HUGE one on the riding lawn mower, web and all. I can't remember what we used to kill it, but it took the entire can. You can imagine what I was doing while riding the mower after that. I certainly wasn't paying much attention to the grass, that's for sure.

It's funny though. I think I'd be okay with a tarantula....eventually. It's the Black Widow's and the Golden Silk spiders that freak me out.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm laughing here because I usually let spiders live and will go out of my way to avoid smushing one... unless it's a poisonous variety. I may ask Spec to take them outdoors but generally I leave them be.

They can be considered a blessing in certain circles. Garden spiders are honored, etc.

I draw the line at snakes though. Don't give a damn, they're (mostly) killable creatures. :D I know some snakes mimic patterns of venomous snakes. God needs to tell them to stop mimicking the dangerous ones and start growing neon green I'M FRIENDLY scales.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^^^ LOL!

We had to take my daughter to the ER one night in Slidell a few years ago because she shoved a piece of foam up her nose (go ahead and laugh...). Many hours later a guy came in with a spider bite on his calf. His calf was bigger than his thigh!

Here's a pretty handy webiste, btw....
    http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I got to this thread late.

Black widow bites are painful. You'd definitely know it.

Brown recluse on the other hand, are painless.... until the flesh starts necrotizing.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    banana and banjo spiders are just cool. Daddy longlegs are toast when I see them. I know people say they don't bite but my leg swelled up once and there was one on me at the time. Maybe its circumstantial evidence but... cigarette lighters work well on them. Brown recluses, black widows, and any spider I don't recognize get flattened.

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    we have alot of brown widows at work. carburetor cleaner does better than brake cleaner or spider killer or wasp spray. they really like damp dark areas i would advise quit jackin off and shooting in the corner of your desk.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I'm laughing here because I usually let spiders live and will go out of my way to avoid smushing one... unless it's a poisonous variety.

I could be wrong, but I thought that all spiders were poisonous to an extent. Seeing how they all inject their "prey" with it, and liquify their insides so they can suck it out as a slushy meal leaving behind an empty carcass.

Snakes, on the otherhand, don't bother me one bit.

Top Bottom