Home defense shotgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    For a home defense shotgun, I think it'd be hard to beat a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. They're inexpensive, dependable, and easy to find used. Tons of options for upgrading/customizing

Evil Zim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I agree with the recommendation of the Maverick 88…. Picked up one new during Katrina ( for $130 back then) and can’t say enough good things. Also, lot of options out there for it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Pretty much any 12 or 20ga pump gun that is proven. As others have said, Mossberg 500/Maverick 88 will serve you well. The 20” barreled 8 shot or the 18.5” barreled 6 shot are both formidable in the right hands. I actually prefer the shorter one in the house. The Mavericks run under $250 at Academy every day. I do not recommend the pistol grip version for home defense, but they make nice truck guns.

Attachments

• IMG_2962.png
      IMG_2962.png
      1.4 MB · Views: 20

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    A cheap maverick 88. Check your local pawn shops and you may get lucky. I'd also recommend getting a basic one with a stock, NO pistol grip.

Edit* I guess a better way to out it find a cheap reliable pump shotgun. To me it's all the same. I'm not brand bias. I don't need mossberg's tang safety on their 500 series nor the thicker (heavier) receiver on their 490 models.

If you aren't sure, go take a defensive shotgun class once yours is set up how you want. I took one and it showed me how terrible my set up and my skills were/are

I also don't like bird's head grip on Shockwaves. That's why mine is now a SBS.

IlivnDaBoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    SHREVEPORT
    I also echo the same sentiments on the Maverick 88 in 18.5". However, I chose to use the Fab defense M4 collapsible stock on mine due to a issue where my right wrist has a bone out of place and have to use AR style grip.

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Any 20ga that goes "bang" every time you pull the trigger. If you get it and never plan to shoot it go with a 20ga Semi-Auto, if you practice once or twice a year go with a pump or semi. Women can shoot a 20ga, but a 12ga scares an shakes the hell out of many, get something they can grab with confidence.

Top Bottom