Home/Land owners.. I need advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you can swing it, 3 - 4 acres will get you an ag tax break. Plant some blueberry bushes, fruit trees and a couple chickens.

Wait what....... How do I find out about the AG tax break. I have fruit trees and just got some 2 legged fowl. Any tax break is welcome more info please.

Blade70714

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Baker
    Try www.landwatch.com
    I bought right at 3 acres in Pike county Miss a few years ago for roughly $12,000. It was bought as and still is unrestricted land outside city limits. Landwatch has photos and contact information. Hope this helps. All i did was contact the real estate agency and they left me a map to areas i was interested in at their office which was closed on weekends and i went looked at the properties myself and called them 1st thing Monday morning as to which one i wanted to buy and within a couple weeks i was on my land. They have land in just about every county/ or parish in every state now as compared to about 12 states back then.

Last edited:

hunt4570

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    You do NOT need a real-estate agent to look, they might be beneficial when you actually get ready to buy, checking paperwork etc. Lots of places listed above to search, realtor.com, Zillow, lands of America etc. Those three are the ones I like but as stated above there are others. They give you search filters to help you look... acreage size, price, with or without a house or other structure, and locations. I know you said you wanted to put a modular on something but at least look at existing homes also. If you are willing to do some renovations lots of times you can get a good price on a fixer upper.

Find an area you think you might want to live/buy then use the internet to find something "then" you can find a realtor to show them to you. DO NOT sign a "exclusivity" contract with ANY realtor, if they say that's the only way they will work with you, find someone else! One of those contracts locks you down to using them only, you never know what else might come up with someone else and you need to be able to other things. And in my opinion anyway don't even look at ANYTHING with a HOA, you do not need to have anyone telling you what you can do with your place!

Be careful of shared drives, or easements for drives or access to your property, again you might end up depending on someone else to get on your property or worse.

Don't fall in love with a place for all the wrong reasons, it always comes back to bite you.

I've lived all over this country and except for the first couple places (pre-internet) I've always found my own places.. Realtors do this for a living and lots of them will only show you things that make them the most money, not all of them but for sure a lot of them.

Good luck and PAY ATTENTION to everything!!

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you're nervous about trusting a real estate agent because they work for the seller, call an independent agent and ask if they are willing to represent you as a "buyer's broker." Then they work for you. They still get a commission, but it is split with any "selling" realtor.

I did this when I bought my house in New Orleans. He kept an eye on the market, was up to date on loan deals, and had title attorneys who worked with him on the closing. My guy doesn't work the area you're looking in, but there's likely someone similar there.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    My question would be are you wanting to stay in the area you are now or are you looking to relocate and how far? What areas are you considering so someone who lives in an area might be able to help you a bit more.

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    ZILLOW is very good.
    A lot of land will be listed as people don't want to deal with public.
    Sellers pay the commission. Don't miss out on a great piece of property just due to it being listed thru a realtor.

Noreswolf

Top Bottom