Homemade Moon Clip Loader

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DH Vidrine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Two weeks ago I purchased a S&W model 25-2, 45 ACP revolver from Gunbroker. I needed a tool to load the moon clips. Instead of purchasing one for $50.00 I made one that works quite well for $4.00. I do not claim to have invented anything. I looked on line at what others have made and are using and watched some loading tools in use on Youtube.
    The moon clip slips over the 3/8” nut and rests on the yellow plastic washer. The plastic washer is needed to raise the moon clip up 0.30” above the board to allow the case head extraction groove to snap into the moon clip. The plastic washer was made using a drill, sanding disk, and file. The aluminum bar pivots on the 5/16” carriage bolt. The screw driver slot was cut in the end of each of the bolts with a hack saw. The round notch on the aluminum bar keeps the cartridge from sliding away from the clip opening. The opposite side of the board was counter bored for the bolt heads to fit flush. Assembly is with wrenches and a screw driver.
    It took about the same amount of time to make this thing as it did to photograph and write about it.
    Parts List:
    ¾”x 2 ½” x 8” hickory lumber
    ¼”x3/4”x7” aluminum flat bar
    5/16”x 1 ½” carriage bolt
    5/16” nylon lock nut
    3/8”x 1 ½” carriage bolt
    3/8” nylon lock nut
    3/8” plastic washer 0.660” O.D., 0.030” thick made from the lid of a Berger bullet box.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    I don't have any trouble loading my half moons....but, I have the tool to remove the brass....that's the difficult part of the operation.

marcw85

Hotter than a $2 pistol
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thibodaux, LA
    Great idea, I just recently bought a S&W 325pd, the moons can be difficult to load but are a pain to unload. I just use my leatherman to pop them out. Thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom