Honda Generators

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • surfingwta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2012
    Every year starting around March / April I review all my hurricane preps and each year I pick a large item to upgrade.
    This year I am looking at my generator.
    I have a 5500w off brand with a BS engine.
    It run reasonably well but it is loud as hell and the power isn't the cleanest so I am looking at upgrading to a Honda this year.

I am looking at either a pair of EU2000i or a EU3000 (iS or Handi model).

Anyone have one of these?

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I can't remember which one I had, but it was much nicer than the one I have now. It only reved up when it was supplying power and went to idle when you were finished. That was great when we were using it to make repairs to our camp. It is just a much nicer unit in everyway. If I had the money I would buy it. It did eventually stop working and the problem could not be found and it was going to cost many dollars to fix it. The one I got got now was had for cheap by someone who lets just say owed my wife and I some money.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    If you like the Honda eu series, check out Yamaha inverters. I have a 2000 and it is superior to the Honda in just about every way for basicly the same price. Research them and then check Yamahagenerators.com for the best price.
    For a larger non inverter style, it is hard to beat the Subaru motor for te price. Also have one of them and really like it.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I've got the 3000. Bought it back in 2003 when I had a camper. Has only been to the shop once and that was just for them to go through it all.

Runs like a top. 2.5 gals gas usually last me 8 hours and when inside the camper could not hear it running. Best $1,100.00 I ever spent.

I take it out every few months and run it for 20-30 minutes and change the oil once a year.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I like wise sales and always had good dealings with them until I ordered the Yamaha generator. Was told on the phone when placing the order it would ship out within 2 weeks, they were out of stock. Fine, order placed. They charged my card immediately and a month and a half later still had not shipped. Called back and was told they had no idea when it would be available so I cancelled the order with them. During this month and a glad, Yamaha had a price increase of $40, so not only did they hold my money for a month and a half, they cost me another $40.
    Yamahagenerators.com will match or beat any price and I had it within a few days after my order.

surfingwta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2012
    I am definitely getting an inverter model.
    I do like how the Yamahas have wheels on more of their models.

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    I haven't bought anything from Wise for a couple of years now. They saved my butt after Gustav and quickly shipped several Hondas to friends and families as well. Your experience with them and the Yamahas sucks for sure. I'll add yamahagenerators to my bookmarks and check them out next time I'm shopping.

todbnla

Spendasauris
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Picayune, MS
    I have had an EU2000I since they came out and let me say this, I want to buy another one to sync them but I have to be honest this one has served me well during storm situations. IE: I am able to run one refrigerator, my tv and sat box and maybe a small fan, just enough to get buy on and if push comes to shove after running the fridge all day, I can unplug the fridge and run a small window unit to sleep for 6-8 hours then plug my fridge back in. Its not the hilton but I get by comfortably and I didn't drop $3-15k on a whole house back up gen like a lot of my freinds did.

berger77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    St francisville, la
    I have a 2000i and 3000, the 2000 will run so many items I rarely use the the 3000, the 2000 will run on 1g of gas for 9hrs, I've never had any problems out of either one, had them since Katrina, and they still start with 1 pull. I'm considering doing a conversion on the 2000 to convert it to LP, best luck

surfingwta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2012
    What you are describing is why I was thinking about getting 2 of the EU2000i.
    They have the double kits on sale at a few locations I have seen but I would think a single one most of the time would be sufficient.
    Plus, if during the winter /fall when you don't need AC, just running a single unit would be pretty quiet and cheap.

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    For your second 2000i look into the "companion model". I think it is sold for about the same price, it is simpler and cheaper to connect in tandem to the first, and it is equipped with a 220v outlet if you need it.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have the 2000 AND the 2000 companion with the sync cable that allows you to chain them together for the times you need the extra amps. My reasoning was that it is better to have two generators anyway (two is none), and for the flexibility of running both in two separate places if I want. The 3000 was too heavy, used more fuel, and physically wouldn't fit in the space I wanted to use to store it. I'd make the same choice again and never look back. They are super quiet, provide clean current, and will run 8-10 hours on the built in tank. Really fabulous little units.

Edited to add that the reason I felt I needed two was the startup current of my camper's AC unit if I wanted to run it. Turns out the single 2000 turned it over and runs it just fine by itself. Still, I can run my camper and still use the second unit to keep the fridge and freezer going in my house.

Last edited:

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    If you get any of the small inverter models, you can also get adapters to run an external tank and get more run time...

Don't spend a lot of money on one of these. You basically need an outdoor motor fuel tank, and run a small fuel line from it to the air vent in the Honda generator fuel cap. You can buy a few fittings made for that or make them up if you can browse around a hardware store. The connections just need to be airtight.

Here's one website with instructions. I made one with smaller fuel lines than the standard boat hoses.

http://sea-trek.blogspot.com/2011/04/extended-use-fuel-tank-for-honda.html

And about connecting two honda 2000's together - there is a kit and cables that can connect any two. But the companion model eliminates the need for some of the extra hardware. And the companion can still run as a stand alone generator if necessary.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I bought a Honda 1000i several years ago, it is a great small generator, however if I were to do it again I would likely get the 2,000 watt Yamaha instead. I have since also bought a couple of small diesel generators for home backup, they have the advantage or lower fuel use per KW generated, and diesel keeps a lot better than this stuff they are selling these days and calling it gasoline. I did have one problem getting parts for the Honda 1000i a year or two ago just after the big earth quake event in Japan I needed a new carburetor and apparently the factory was in the region that was hit, so it took about 4 months go get the replacement part.

Top Bottom