Hope for Humanity Restored

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sigfan556

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    slidell,LA
    garth-and-emma.jpg

W. Garth Callaghan doesn't know how long he has to live. But he can be certain of one simple thing: No matter his fate, his daughter will have a handwritten note tucked inside her lunchbox each day until she graduates from high school.

Callaghan has received three cancer diagnoses since November 2011, and learned that he has just an 8% chance that he will live longer than five years. Now, he's taking every chance to connect with his daughter Emma in the time he has left.

Armed with a stack of napkins and a ballpoint pen, he started Napkin Notes, a project that documents the daily messages he's slipped into Emma's lunchbox since she started second grade.

"She does love Napkin Notes and looks forward to them each day," Garth said. "She has friends that are jealous of her notes. I am just thankful with the fact that she feels comfortable enough with her own self and shares them with friends."

The project also strives to encourage others parents to connect with their children through handwritten notes, and is the subject of an ebook released last September.

Callaghan has also teamed up with Because I Said I Would, a nonprofit organization dedicated to making and keeping promises. His promise: To write enough notes of encouragement to last Emma through twelfth grade.

napkin-notes-dad-2.jpg

napkin-notes-dad-3.jpg

napkin-notes-dad-4.jpg

napkin-notes-dad.jpg

napking-notes-dad-6.jpg

napking-notes-dad-5.jpg

This one got me.

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    A driver called in to our customer service line on Jan. 11 regarding what he witnessed at Petro Effingham, IL, during the big snow storm that week. This is truly amazing. TA and Petro thank all of our customers for their selfless actions! Here is the report:

A Driver called in to let us know of the wonderful things that happened at the Petro in Effingham, IL, when the big storm hit earlier this week. He said there were families that drove cars that were stuck at the location due to the snow. The families were only planning on stopping there for a few hours while they were passing through, and didn't have enough money to stay for three days. The driver calling said he and other drivers were adopting these families and providing them with meals in the restaurant, places to sleep, and comfort and companionship to make it through these couple days.

He also said the employees were the same way -- snowed in, overworked, and exhausted. He said it was amazing to see the drivers coming together to help the restaurant staff bus tables, clean up their messes, and also take shifts allowing them to sleep in their trucks. He was so happy to see drivers coming together and helping others in time of need.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    This evening my Dad & I were eating dinner at a local restaurant. At the table across the aisle was a young couple with two cute little girls. While we were eating, I became aware of a commotion at their table. The mother was grabbing the 4 year old who was turning blue. I jumped up, snatched the child away from the mom, and performed the Heimlich maneuver. The girl spewed out a chunk of steak and started crying, sweetest music I've ever heard! I handed the little girl back to her mom and dad & sat back down to get my blood pressure back to where it belongs. All through the rest of dinner the little girl kept staring at me like I had tried to kill her. Sweetie, you go ahead and think that, I 'm happy with it.

What totally disgusts me is NOBODY else moved a muscle to help this little girl! They were content to just sit there and watch this girl choke to death!

Dear Dad, Thank you so much for raising me to do the right thing & take action, not to turn and look the other way.
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?123734-I-made-a-4-year-old-girl-cry-today...:hi5:

Last edited:

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    faith-in-humanity-restored-33.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-16.jpg

February 20, 2014 (MIAMI) (WLS) -- Commuters in Miami saw a shocking sight on Thursday when a woman frantically jumped from her car and screamed for help when her infant nephew started turning blue.
    Pamela Rauseo, 37, jumped from her car on the busy Dolphin Expressway when her 5-month-old nephew Sebastian de la Cruz fell unconscious. The little boy had been born prematurely and suffers from respiratory issues.
    Miami resident Lucila Godoy quickly came to help, giving CPR to the baby boy. A nearby police officer took over after a Good Samaritan alerted him to the crisis.
    The boy was taken to the hospital in stable condition Thursday evening.
    1959620_10151898044397452_2041242747_n.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-62.jpg

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Middle school wrestler Justin Kievit intentionally lost a match to do something nice for a boy with cerebral palsy. Kievit, who his coach says was chosen for the task due to his big heart, put his opponent's arm around him, "pinning" him and therefore, causing him to win.
    slide_271980_1926075_free.jpg

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    odd-beauty-2.jpg

humanity-strange-places-14.jpg

odd-beauty-11.jpg

76ddc5c08a93fd1b52cb69f3fd9948103b9021432532e912484ccccc61a512c7_1.gif

couple-battles-cancer-together-0.jpg

Howie and Laurel Borowick were married for 34 years when they were diagnosed with cancer simultaneously. Their daughter Nancy captured their joint battle with the disease in photos that show both the good and the bad times together. When Nancy got married in October, both Howie and Laurel walked her down the aisle before Howie finally lost his life to the disease at the age of 58 years old this year.

Howie and Laurel found out that they had cancer at the same time.

couple-battles-cancer-together-1.jpg

Neither of them expected to be diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, let alone at the same time.

couple-battles-cancer-together-2.jpg

couple-battles-cancer-together-3.jpg

Howie had pancreatic cancer.

couple-battles-cancer-together-4.jpg

Laurel had breast cancer for the third time.

couple-battles-cancer-together-5.jpg

Their daughter captured intimate moments… like Laurel deciding it was time to shave her hair off.

couple-battles-cancer-together-6.jpg

And then waiting to get fitted with a wig.

couple-battles-cancer-together-7.jpg

She also took pictures of her parents attending their weekly chemotherapy sessions.

couple-battles-cancer-together-8.jpg

And sit beside each other in their *his and her* chairs, waiting for the chemotherapy to be over.

couple-battles-cancer-together-9.jpg

Howie and Laurel kept each other happy throughout their struggles.

couple-battles-cancer-together-10.jpg

The couple did their best to make each other smile

couple-battles-cancer-together-11.jpg

The chemotherapy was draining, and the two were often found relaxing together in their house

couple-battles-cancer-together-12.jpg

Together, they shared both good news and bad. In this picture, doctors were reporting that both of their tumors were responding to treatment.

couple-battles-cancer-together-13.jpg

Howie was especially fond of naps after the exhausting treatments, which left him weak.

couple-battles-cancer-together-14.jpg

Together, family and friends were able to celebrate Howie’s 58th birthday together, something they thought impossible when he was diagnosed 6 months before.

couple-battles-cancer-together-15.jpg

Despite the unfathomable trials, Nancy’s parents were both able to walk their daughter down the aisle, who moved up the date of her wedding when she realized the fight her parents would be facing. They found strength together and witnessed their daughter’s most special moment.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited:

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    faith-in-humanity-restored-41.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-171.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-151.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-31.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-110.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-3.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-5.jpg

faith-in-humanity-restored-1.jpg

A 12-year-old boy Luca suffers from muscular dystrophy, a disease that over time makes his body weaker and weaker. He can only move his fingers. Luca’s physical incapability is not an obstacle for his wild and playful nature. Slovenian photographer Matej Peljhan Matej created a heartwarming photo series called The Little Prince, where the star is Luca. According to Luca’s wishes, the boy was photographed as if in motion, revealing his playfulness and a bit of mischief. The photos were taken from above and modeled to look like the boy is riding on a skateboard, playing basketball, dancing, and even flying.
    01-the_little_prince_matej_peljhan.jpg

02-the_little_prince_matej_peljhan.jpg

03-the_little_prince_matej_peljhan.jpg

04-the_little_prince_matej_peljhan.jpg

05-the_little_prince_matej_peljhan.jpg

06-the_little_prince_matej_peljhan.jpg

07-the_little_prince_matej_peljhan.jpg

08-the_little_prince_matej_peljhan.jpg

02-people_who_prove_that_there_is_still_good_in_the_world.gif

03-people_who_prove_that_there_is_still_good_in_the_world.gif

04-people_who_prove_that_there_is_still_good_in_the_world.gif

05-people_who_prove_that_there_is_still_good_in_the_world.gif