Hornady Superperformance warranty sucks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgodenwa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    I bought 2 boxes of 25/06 Hornady Superperformance SST from Jim's and 3 rounds in one box were duds. No other problems in the gun and only in one of the 2 boxes, I guess because they were different lot numbers. Other manufacturer's ammo works find including Hornady whitetail American. Called Hornady and they said because I tried to fire the rounds twice and because I shot up the rest of the box, they wouldn't help. Poor service for ammo that costs nearly $2 per bullet with tax.

I like the ammo's performance, but I'm stunned they are more worried about the cost of a box of bullets than good customer service.

Going to try to upload pics, but the files are too big and are blocked. Wish bayoushooter could auto resize. I'm sure it's in a sticky somewhere.

Von

vgodenwa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    I kind of agree. It would have sucked if it would have been the 30 pt buck.
    But having reloaded since the 80's, I understand that poo happens. Just take care of it when it does and I won't complain - unless it is a regular thing.
    Not warranting something defective in this day and age is bad business juju.

Jim's Firearms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    Baton rouge, LA
    Do you mind posting or PMing us the lot number of the bad rounds so we make sure no one else experiences this problem? Well also be happy to pick up where hornady failed and get you another box.

vgodenwa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    You aren't kidding!! I just answered the PM first and asked him why PM - you should get credit for this!
    Anyway the lot number is in the pic above. It is 3130892.
    The other box is OK so far (haven't finished it).
    It may be a week or 3 because I'm in Mississippi.
    Thanks again.
    Von

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    What kind of rifle?

If it's a Tikka you MUST completely break down the bolt and clean the sticky assembly grease (cosmoline?) out of them. I have had 2 brand new Tikka's in the last 2 years do this to me from the factory. Never would have believed this myself until I pulled the bolts apart after reading this common issue on the interwebz. Worked for a little while but would give occasional light primer strikes. Check that while you are checking this ammo.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vgodenwa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    It's a Marlin XL7. No other problems and the primers are dented fairly well, although I didn't measure firing pin protrusion from the bolt or anything like that.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Hmm...son's rifle is a 308 XS7 and I haven't seen this issue with that one yet. I'd still recommend disassembly of the bolt and cleaning. Any drag can slow down the firing pin just enough to have light primer strikes. It really could be the ammunition though. I hope you solve your problem. The Superformance powder has proven to be totally awesome in my rifles so far.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom