How do you guys make extra cash?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Overtime. I've been working 7-12's for the past month, and no end in sight. Saving for a big down payment on a bigger house

I also took up a part time job working for perks instead of money. It keeps me from digging into savings to buy guns and stuff

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Sell crap I have laying around on Craigslist/forums/etc. You'd be surprised at what's around that you don't need/use/want.

jussaddwata

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Prairieville
    You could definetly make some pocket change right now helping folks clean up their yards. If you can pick up a couple jobs in a neighborhood word would spread quick...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Wife and I are both retired, but we both still enjoy some relatively expensive hobbies: wife likes travel and shopping, I like motorcycles & touring, guns, and winemaking. Wife teaches cake decorating classes, averages 2-3 classes per week year-round, makes enough cash to cover her interests. I work during tax season (Jan - Apr) doing returns for a major tax return prep firm, just bank the checks for hobby expenses later in the year -- for example, I'm leaving soon on a road trip on my Harley, going up to ride around in the Ozark Mountains.

And we both serve as voting commissioners -- not much money ($200 election), sometimes boring, but I like being part of the process.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Sell crap I have laying around on Craigslist/forums/etc. You'd be surprised at what's around that you don't need/use/want.

This. And if you can't sell it, bring it to SVdP and get a donation reciept, file it with your taxes. I think I got upwards of $300 in tax credits last year for donations.

Also, if you have self-control and good credit, find a good rewards credit card. Not for the small rewards it gives you throughout its life, but one with a good introductory offer. I have to pay for work travel out-of-pocket and then file for reimbursment so I got a credit card and pay it off before interest accrues. I was able to find a credit card (Chase Freedom) that gave me $300 worth of instant rewards point (which I redeemed as cash). If you don't have self control, simply meet the criteria for the points (it's usually something like spend $X in the first month, for me it was nothing) pay it off before interest accrues, take the reward and trash it permanently.

EDIT: There have been people known to take this strategy to a further extent and apply for several sky miles credit cards only to reap the lucrative introductory offers. There was one guy who found a way to "travel the world" for only a few hundred dollars.

Last edited:

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I am an all purpose handyman. There is always someone around who needs something painted or installed or repaired or built...I fix homes, camps, cars, mowers, boats, computers, appliances, you name it. If you have the skills, put them to use.

You guys please be careful about working too many extra shifts. That's how my dad got himself killed.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    This. And if you can't sell it, bring it to SVdP and get a donation reciept, file it with your taxes. I think I got upwards of $300 in tax credits last year for donations.

Also, if you have self-control and good credit, find a good rewards credit card. Not for the small rewards it gives you throughout its life, but one with a good introductory offer. I have to pay for work travel out-of-pocket and then file for reimbursment so I got a credit card and pay it off before interest accrues. I was able to find a credit card (Chase Freedom) that gave me $300 worth of instant rewards point (which I redeemed as cash). If you don't have self control, simply meet the criteria for the points (it's usually something like spend $X in the first month, for me it was nothing) pay it off before interest accrues, take the reward and trash it permanently.

EDIT: There have been people known to take this strategy to a further extent and apply for several of sky miles credit cards only to reap the lucrative introductory offers. There was one guy who found a way to "travel the world" for only a few hundred dollars.

My parents paid for all the airfare to and all around Europe by opening a bunch of credit cards for the sky miles. It took some strategic planning and more than a little aggravation, but... it can be done.

ulshop

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    lafayette
    Pick up the occasional commission (custom furniture), sell smaller items; bowls, boxes, rolling pins, etc. through a local craft gallery and whatever woodwork/fabrication jobs I can pick up. Tried selling some turned titanium beads on etsy, did not sell a one. Still working up various items to make and sell. http://chadaldridge.com Shameless plug...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Hitting around the area Walmart parking lots trying to sell people crappy $2 wristwatches for $20.:o

(I'm kidding) :p

Years ago when my brother worked straight days he had a lot of extra time in the evenings, so to keep himself busy (and earn a little extra cash) he delivered pizza for a while...Maybe you could see how that works out for you, as they always seem to need drivers....:dunno:

Last edited:

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I've done *EVERYTHING* to make extra cash.

Rule 1: Remember how much your time is worth.

Example: My brother is an engineer making roughly $38/hr. He wanted some "extra cash", so he began edging lawns for $4/ea. Each lawn takes roughly 8-10 minutes, and he can do a MAXIMUM of about 7 lawns/hr. Basically, he's working (in the heat) for the best of $28/hr.

In "my" experiences, I don't do anything that I can't get 3-4x "per hour" at a regular ******** job - $13/hr.

Recently I've been into cars and motorcycles. 5-10 hours of repair and detailing has gotten me close to $4,000 in profit.

On the other hand, I do recycle cans and ****, mainly because I just like recycling. It might only be a few bucks, but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Lesson learned: Don't forget how much your time is worth.

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    I noticed I save a bunch of money by just doing the simple stuff like bringing my lunch to work. I also stay away from the soda/snack machine. When I compared my "frugal" month's itemized bank statements to the previous month, I realized I spent in upwards of $300+ on junk food. With that said, how much is blood plasma going for now days? Sperm bank?

Last edited:

KennonW

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    BR
    Working as a math/chemistry tutor for high school kids I make $45/hour. It's hard to hold a job and be a full time student.

Top Bottom