How long does Round Up type killer last?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    As in does just the old grass need pulled or some of the top dirt as well?
    {IE} Does it contaminate the ground soil or just kill the grass and roots 100%.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    As in does just the old grass need pulled or some of the top dirt as well?
    {IE} Does it contaminate the ground soil or just kill the grass and roots 100%.

I used roundup max around my fence line, driveway, etc in February - its still dead. Kills the root etc and guarantees a year clear.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I spray my driveway with it (Little white rocks, not good for much) every three or four weeks. Takes about a week for everything to completely die and shrivel up, then I'm good for 2-3 weeks before it starts growing back.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Round Up (Glyphosate) is a systemic herbicide.
    It is taken in where contacted and spread throughout the plant killing from the roots to the tips. So it's a contact killer only.
    There cans be additives mixed in that can be be per emerge or a soil sterilizer, but Round Up it self does not.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    "I used roundup max around my fence line, driveway, etc in February - its still dead. Kills the root etc and guarantees a year clear."

^^^This..It is a little more expensive but worth well worth it. The stuff really works and unless you like spraying every 2-3 months, get this.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Round Up (Glyphosate) is a systemic herbicide.
    It is taken in where contacted and spread throughout the plant killing from the roots to the tips. So it's a contact killer only.
    There cans be additives mixed in that can be be per emerge or a soil sterilizer, but Round Up it self does not.

Can you name a few and where to buy? I use Hi Yield Killzall and it seems the grass starts growing back within a week. I would love to spray once, maybe twice per summer instead of every other weekend.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    I have a rondup question too. What if I spray a portion of my yard to kill the grass, how long do I have to wait until planting a garden?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Preen? What is that?

It's black looks like tarp almost but has a cloth feel. Walmart, Home Depot and Sam's carry it with Sam's Club having the best price I found. You put it down and stake in it blocks all sun so the grass will eventually die from being covered and just cut holes where you want to plant you can then cover it with mulch or mix in some soil of your choosing before putting the preen down.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Like 357 said Round up has no soil activity. In other words you can plant seeds and plants in the area where round up was sprayed. Use common sense and don't plant a few minutes after you spray. Let it dry completely for a day or so and you are good to go. In reference to preen I believe that this is a pre emergent herbicide. You apply it to soil and it keeps seeds from germinating. I use preen in my established flower beds and it works great. I don't know if Preen is the maker of the product or the actual name of my product. It's like the brand "Ortho" , they make a bunch of different insecticides and herbicides under the name " Ortho", which would be named Ortho weed and grass killer. Are you confused now?

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I wouldn't spray Roundup anywhere near my garden area or house.

Do some internet searches on the dangers of Roundup. There's plenty of studies done by independent researchers and the medical community that show direct links between herbicides and serious/chronic medical conditions.

That being said, I have used it in my ditch that has standing water for a few days after any substantial rain and it only last about 4/5 weeks before needing to re-apply.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm calling BS on those studies. I want to see them and see who funded them. There's not a person, company, or government who can feed their people without the use of pesticides. There would e mass starvation without them. You have to weigh the good against the bad and for now it's a positive thing. Roundup falls in this category. When the day comes when we can feed everyone without it I'll rejoice with everyone else, but it won't be in out lifetime.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    A I can't speak much on soil sterilants but Command Extra (Command and Authority- I dent currently have any labels around) will kill and keep clean for some time.
    Some herbicides are restricted as to who, when and where they can be sprayed. Your county agent can help if you feel the need to go above and beyond what is sold on the shelf at your local feed store-go there they actually know and care about their job as opposed to big box stores.
    For my fence lines and around raised garden beds at my house I just spray Round Up Max and reapply when needed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom