How many Bullet Casters on this site?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    I cast .30 carbine, 7.6sx39mm, 7.7/.303, .380, 9mm, .40, .45, 12 gauge slugs and several .30 caliber bullet weights. I load the .30 large capacity cases (.30-06, .30-40 Krag, etc) and the .303 and 7.7 jap with Unique or Red dot, a plug of my wife's quilt batting (shhh, don't tell her) and shoot "the load". No leading, no recoil and very accurate. Set rear sights on 600 or 800 meter/yard mark and shoots near poa at 100yds. Now that it's cooling off I will be spending some time over the melting pot outside under the shooting shed casting for next years shooting.

Glen James

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    wtb Lead

I was wondering if anyone had any lead they would be willing to part with or be so kind and provide me with a contact.. My source is no longer in business and I am needing approx. 200 - 300 lbs.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Just trying out my new mould...44 caliber 260gr Lyman Devastators Hollow Point gas check.
    Untitled-1.jpg

Here shown Lyman Devastators (268.2gr sized/lubed/GasChecked) and the RCBS Silhouette (248.6gr sized/lubed/GasChecked)
    IMG_0109.jpg

carnut3055

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    Greenwell Springs, LA
    Casting lead is a process you need to learn from an experienced person. Never keep or use liquid near the melting pot and when adding scrap to the pot, make sure it is dry and no lost primers are in it. The effects of water or other light liquids in a pot of melted lead are unpleasant to be around. I cast 14 different bullets and lead weights and have done it for years. I have had friends who weren't careful and suffered the effects of neglect.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Nothing like the smell of a flaming beeswax on the top of a 100lbs of molten lead. The other day I was just looking for something, and it was what was there, shouldn't have, most expensive wax I have.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    The_Shadow and Gator 45/70, those are some good looking castings. I have to really work to get them that smooth and shiney. Guess I've still got a lot to learn about proper temperature and technique. Care to share your how-to?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The_Shadow and Gator 45/70, those are some good looking castings. I have to really work to get them that smooth and shiney. Guess I've still got a lot to learn about proper temperature and technique. Care to share your how-to?

Tell us what you are doing now and we can help you out better.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Casting lead is a process you need to learn from an experienced person. Never keep or use liquid near the melting pot and when adding scrap to the pot, make sure it is dry and no lost primers are in it. The effects of water or other light liquids in a pot of melted lead are unpleasant to be around. I cast 14 different bullets and lead weights and have done it for years. I have had friends who weren't careful and suffered the effects of neglect.

i learned on my own. read up, watch videos on youtube, and lots of common sense will get you there.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Here are some bullets from a mold I designed myself. These are for a custom Mauser 98 I have chambered in 358 Win. The bullet weighs 255 grains from an alloy of clip-on wheel weight metal plus 4% added tin. I have been able to get groups at 100 yards measuring about 1.25" with this combo. It's a real deer thumper.

358-150DPI-1.jpg

Top Bottom