How old is old?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Self defense ammo in a pistol (loaded mags) I try to use up within a year or two. My carry gun even more frequently than that, because the rounds get abused in being chambered/unchambered, etc.
    Rifle ammo is different. I've shot my enfield for almost 20 years now with mostly surplus. A lot of it was either Pakistani or Afghani from the early 60's or even late 50's. I've had exactly one round that I didn't trust to shoot. The coating on the brass was peeling off. The rest of even that box shot fine. I've never had a bad centerfire round.
    A few years ago my dad gave me some leftover shotgun shells that he bought in 1970. They shot fine. I don't think age is an issue any more.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Like LaCamper has stated no problem on centerfire. I would worry about Faliure To Feed more than Failure To Fire. Maybe a case rupture before a FTFire. Outside of the case more than the inside. .22LR - new ammo can be a problem.

Smokeless powder does not deteriate easily. Bad storage is the issue. Heat & moisture. It seems heat is not as bad. There is some from the early times that is still good. I think i read it in the ABC's of reloading or a powder website. I have never seen bad smokeless yet but I'm told when you see it you will know it.

I have shot some ammo from the mid 40s and shotshells from the 60s. #1bambam shot some of mine from the 40s - not sure if he knew it. It went through the steel plate with some very consistent results. All the craters & holes looked the same. Accuracy was not off either. My brother shot some of my dad's reloads from the 60s that were the most accurate of all loads & all rifles that day. I have also shot my own shotshell reloads that were 20+ years old with no problem. If any old ammo was deteriated it was not detected by the shooter.

I would trust my life on it. Not my first choice but a very viable option.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Does Law Enforcement have something in place where they use older ammo for training first? Or something? Do they carry only ammo produced this decade etc...

Thanks

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Does Law Enforcement have something in place where they use older ammo for training first? Or something? Do they carry only ammo produced this decade etc...

Thanks

Most LEO shoot their state POST course for qualification twice a year, and some four times a year. Most shoot their duty ammo. and are then issued new duty ammo. Most LEO ammo. is purchased yearly from state bid which can take months to receive. The same applies to Pistols, Rifles and Shotguns. POST Firearms Instructors will also check condition of weapons/ magazines/ammo. for a clean safe weapon, correct ammo. and # of rounds in mags. ETC. ETC. New duty ammo. will be in firearm and mags. before leaving range. Policy and Procedure vary from Dept. to Dept.

Top Bottom