How short of a bbl for 22lr to remain subsonic?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I have a new 22 can and I'm starting to come up with ideas for a rifle.

When using run of the mill, walmart bought bricks of 22LR, how short of a bbl do you need to remain subsonic?

Will I need to go the SBR route?

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    All HV ammo will crack in a barrel over 6". 4.5" seems to be the magic number for bulk ammo staying subsonic. I shoot CCI standard vel in a 16" 10/22 and it is just as quiet as it is on a 4.5" pistol with a suppressor. I am in the process of building a pocket rifle with a 4.5" barrel. Well as soon as I can source a barrel.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    +1 on the CCI standard. It's uber accurate in everything .22 I own also.

There are lots of standard velocity picks brother.
    Some of the federal bulk, the aguila super extra is standard vel with a high vel name, most target ammo runs below 1100 fps, which is just below the speed of sound. Just pay attention to the velocity rating and you'll see

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Without a subsonic ammo, you'll have to SBR. I like CCI Standard Velocity, in my Ruger American with Tac-65 can it is silly quiet.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I've decided on adding CCI SV to my stores and probably going with a Tactical Solutions SBX bbl for my build. I have nothing against going the SBR route but MAN, that is such a long wait now for stamps.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I shoot cci standard velocity mainly from my 22 pistols and rifles with my warlock....when shooting Federal Hi Velocity bulk pack ammo every now and then you will notice a little crack it seems from going at a faster rate of speed. Another nice round my gunsmith and I have been playing around with is the Geco Rifle 40gr, it will cycle in everything with a can on it and its standard velocity.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I've decided on adding CCI SV to my stores and probably going with a Tactical Solutions SBX bbl for my build. I have nothing against going the SBR route but MAN, that is such a long wait now for stamps.

I did this. Its a fun little set up!

Rk639U2.jpg

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    4.5 inch and shorter in .22 to keep standard velocity rounds subsonic.

I had great success using federal bulk pack out of a 4.5 upper.

JR1572

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    The old-school AWC Amphibians and other such integrally suppressed pistols are kept at 2.5" barrel length generally.
    They usually require high velocity ammo to function reliably but keep well under subsonic rates.
    Fun to shoot but finicky.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Don't wanna break into a standard velocity vs high velocity debate, but standard vel usually encompasses target ammo and others rated at (usually) or around the 1100fps mark, (or below 1200fps) High vel, super vel hyper vel etc is the stuff usually rated above 1200fps.
    It's rare to find .22LR designated as "pistol", target or match that is rated over 1000fps. I've found a few loads of different brands that are actually rated at subsonic velocities and not "labeled" subsonic.
    That being said, I'll shoot CCI mini mags all day from a 4" barreled Ruger and my chrony rarely shows a number over 950fps.
    So, when looking at .22LR ammo try looking up the claimed fps (which may be from a barrel 16-20") and go from there. You may be surprised at how much truly subsonic ammo you can find out there.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've found that pretty much all ammo stays sub sonic out of all my pistols and 4.5 inch AR. YET sub sonic ammo actually makes a popping noise vs the nail gun noise I normally get out of my suppressed 22s.

Top Bottom