How to remove carbon build up from your AR bolt carrier part1

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    One of the problem with the M16/ AR15 rifles is that carbon will build up in the bolt carrier behind the bolt and on the back of the bolt. If this is allowed to build up you will start to have problems with the fuction of your rifle.
    Here is an easy, step by step, way to remove the carbon build up.

Here is what you will need.
    #1 A compleate dirty bolt. :D
    #2 Cleaning patches
    #3 AP brush
    #4 A striper clip
    #5 A pocket knife
    #6 And some oil
    b7hpw6.jpg

First take the bolt apart. You will need the firing pin. Insert the firing pin in the front of the carrier and set the tip on the sholder inside.
    2n8rlee.jpg

1zxlcox.jpg

Now use your palm to push down as you rotate the firing pin in the carrier. This will break up the built up carbon.
    somgcj.jpg

Now remove the brass liner from the striper.
    6z64n7.jpg

20t5ro2.jpg

Place a patch on top of the carrier and use the striper clip to push the patch down to the shoulder.
    2e3yats.jpg

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Part 2

Now push down and rotate the striper clip.
    1z20qdj.jpg

Do this a few times until the patched come out clean.
    21l25y1.jpg

Now that was the hard part, and that was easy. :D
    24e7ryd.jpg

Next use your knife blade to scrape the carbin off the back of the bolt. (need to add pic)
    Then use your AP brush to clean the rest of your blot.

Now go clean your bolt, then go have some fun getting it dirty again.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    good writeup with pics, but I have to strongly disagree with the use of the firing pin.
    I believe there is a chance of damaging the firing pin using it in such a manner.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    good writeup with pics, but I have to strongly disagree with the use of the firing pin.
    I believe there is a chance of damaging the firing pin using it in such a manner.

agreed. Been in two rifle classes this week and both vendors strongly advised against it. Either use a punch or dental pic.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    agreed. Been in two rifle classes this week and both vendors strongly advised against it. Either use a punch or dental pic.

I think a dental pic sounds like a good idea. I have been using the bore brush from an XD kit. It is a nylon bore brush, I believe, for an XD 9mm. Fits right in and gets it clean down to being shiny.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Now what I have to ask is, How long has the guys teaching the rifle clases been shooting an AR type rifle?
    I did 20 years in the Marine Corps and carried the M16A1 and the A2 during those years. I have fired more rounds through a M16, during training and combat, then most people dream of ever shooting. And this is the way I was tought to clean the bolt and I never damaged a firing pin in all those years.
    Most dental pic's have a sharp tip and will cause damage to the inside of the bolt carrier.
    You do not use a lot of force when using the firing pin. Just push down a little with the palm of your hand and rotate about 3 or 4 times, that is all it takes.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    The carbin does not build up on the gas rings. It builds up on the very back of the bolt body (the curved part behind the gas rings) The carbin will not be very hard in this area and will scrap off very easy.
    Also CLP is about the best oil to use on the AR because, it has a higher burn temp. then most oils and will keep the carbin build up from getting hard.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Now what I have to ask is, How long has the guys teaching the rifle clases been shooting an AR type rifle?
    I did 20 years in the Marine Corps and carried the M16A1 and the A2 during those years. I have fired more rounds through a M16, during training and combat, then most people dream of ever shooting. And this is the way I was tought to clean the bolt and I never damaged a firing pin in all those years.
    Most dental pic's have a sharp tip and will cause damage to the inside of the bolt carrier.
    You do not use a lot of force when using the firing pin. Just push down a little with the palm of your hand and rotate about 3 or 4 times, that is all it takes.

Not sure, they only design and fabricate items. What do they know?

You were taught wrong. I created over 2000 PMI's and instructed god knows how many Marines on the line, and we never did that.

Now, sounds like you went to boot quite a few years ago, and I have mo doubt they taught you that, but we have advanced a little in 20 years. ;)

Besides. Why use an integral part of your weapon as a tool when other items exist? In tbevfield is another story.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Not sure, they only design and fabricate items. What do they know?

You were taught wrong. I created over 2000 PMI's and instructed god knows how many Marines on the line, and we never did that.

Now, sounds like you went to boot quite a few years ago, and I have mo doubt they taught you that, but we have advanced a little in 20 years. ;)

Besides. Why use an integral part of your weapon as a tool when other items exist? In tbevfield is another story.

We were trained to clean weapons under combat conditions. I guess that now days if you don't have extra tools and a boresnake, you can't clean your weapon.
    If you are tought how to do something that is easy, and it works without causing damage to the weapon system, how can it be wrong?

I understand that there are those that design and fabricate items and then teach other how to use them. But most of those guys have never used their design and fabricate items in combat.
    I spent my time in the Corps as a grunt, mechine gunner, anti armor and Staff NCO.
    I was a fireteam leader, squad leader, section leader, acting Platoon Sgt, Acting patoon Commander, A Range safty officer more times then I can count, Co. Opc Chief and Co. Gunny. I have spent more time cleaning and inspecting weapons the most people have spent on the shitter. :D
    You can go to school to learn something. You can also learn to teach others what you have learned in school, but until you go out and apply what you have learned, in combat, you are still just wet behind the ears.

Top Bottom