hurray they saved it

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area

Here is what you can do. If you order a firearm for future delivery you must pay in full. However, if you order or buy it now and put the firearm on layaway so long as you make the final payment during the holiday it is tax exempt.

Buying and accepting delivery of consumer purchases of firearms, ammunition and hunting supplies.

Making final payment on a consumer purchase previously placed on layaway or ordering a consumer purchase for immediate delivery, even if delivery must be delayed, provided that the customer has not requested delayed shipment; and

Placing consumer purchases on layaway

A free suggestion for gun store owners....

Run an advertisment encouraging people to buy and/or order on layaway the firearms they want today..call it a pre-tax holiday sale. Require the people to pay you the purchase cost of the firearms as a a layaway deposit (not the retail price, your cost) so that you are not out of pocket for the orders except for your profit. You get your profit when the sale closes during the tax holiday.

Example: A person purchases an AR-15 that costs you $700 and you will retail for $800. You accept the order and a $700 layaway payment (maybe split it into 1/2 at order 1/2 at delivery to your shop). You then schedule the delivery and the final $100 payment during the sales tax holiday so that the state sales tax of 4% is not due.

The buyer saves 4% and the gun dealer moves some of the sales he would get during that rush weekend over a longer period of time. Potentially allowing more sales to occur on that weekend.

The buyer gets a better choice/selection because he get exactly what he wants ordered. The FFL is not out money for the ordered item.

The buyer saves 4% and the dealer is not out any money for inventory purchased and sitting on the shelf and is assured a sale.

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Here is what you can do. If you order a firearm for future delivery you must pay in full. However, if you order or buy it now and put the firearm on layaway so long as you make the final payment during the holiday it is tax exempt.

A free suggestion for gun store owners....

Run an advertisment encouraging people to buy and/or order on layaway the firearms they want today..call it a pre-tax holiday sale. Require the people to pay you the purchase cost of the firearms as a a layaway deposit (not the retail price, your cost) so that you are not out of pocket for the orders except for your profit. You get your profit when the sale closes during the tax holiday.

Example: A person purchases an AR-15 that costs you $700 and you will retail for $800. You accept the order and a $700 layaway payment (maybe split it into 1/2 at order 1/2 at delivery to your shop). You then schedule the delivery and the final $100 payment during the sales tax holiday so that the state sales tax of 4% is not due.

The buyer saves 4% and the gun dealer moves some of the sales he would get during that rush weekend over a longer period of time. Potentially allowing more sales to occur on that weekend.

The buyer gets a better choice/selection because he get exactly what he wants ordered. The FFL is not out money for the ordered item.

The buyer saves 4% and the dealer is not out any money for inventory purchased and sitting on the shelf and is assured a sale.

Sounds like a good idea to me. As a purchaser, I would go for that.
    But I want to point out that the customer will be saving more than the 4% state tax. This tax holiday is not like the others. You are exempt from state AND local taxes. Shopping at Bass Pro on Gonzales will save you 10%.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Just going from memory, but I'm pretty sure the tax free is on bought, ordered, picked up, put on or taken off layaway.
    If they are sold out, just have them order one. Or put it on layaway before the date.

Yeah I've ordered stuff before/paid in full on holiday. No problem there.

For some unknown reason several shops are strange about orders though. Also I like to be able to inspect before I buy.

But I want to point out that the customer will be saving more than the 4% state tax. This tax holiday is not like the others. You are exempt from state AND local taxes. Shopping at Bass Pro on Gonzales will save you 10%.

+1 yeah it's state and local, which is excellent. 8.75% here. Those other state tax holidays (back to school, hurricane) are barely worthwhile by comparison.

Last edited:

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area

You are indeed correct and my numbers do indeed underestimate the tax savings. Local tax is also waived, not just the state sales tax portion.

"Annual Louisiana Second Amendment Weekend Holiday Act" that provides an exemption from state and local sales and use taxeson individuals' purchases of firearms, ammunition and hunting supplies on the first Friday through Sunday of each September.

That makes it even more compelling.

Top Bottom