I can't believe people are stupid enough to pay outrageous prices.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    It irks me that some of you are so stupid to actually pay $80-$85 for 500 primers, or over a dollar a round for ammo. And to the gouger's out there taking advantage of the situation I hope you have to eat them bullets and can't find toilet paper. Primers were $30-$39 per thousand and bullets were $0.40 per round or less. Rant over.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I highly doubt the idiots paying those prices are active members of Bayou Shooter. The good folks on here know better.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So, I wonder how much toilet paper is gonna go up...
    And if I should fill a couple rooms in my house with it now to make a nice profit later from the chronically unprepared...

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Some of these buyers are new to the hobby and just don’t know any better. There are other buyers with deep pockets who don’t care about the cost.

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    I have things to expend what I'm selling if they don't sell and dollar bills to wipe my ass if I run out of toilet paper, don't worry.

There's always a certain amusement in witnessing someone melting down over how a free market works.

NSSF estimates more than 5 million new firearms owners this year. There's a demand. Not everybody lives on the same budget as you. You can jawache about primer costs all you want, some people have a life to not queue up at Academy every morning for opening and online retailers are selling 1k max limits with strict shipping and almost $40 hazmat fees and even that sells out in 5 minutes. We get it, you built a mausoleum of lead to bury yourself in. Not everybody did.

FYI, a site sponsor has been selling .223 for $1 a round without so much as a peep from the likes of you.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well make sure to get the best.Nothing like going to whip you're butt and the finger breaks thru the paper !

LMAO!
    Ya gotta use more than one square Gator.
    I did stock the attic with the good stuff over a week ago when I saw stores beginning to remove it from the shelves. Bought a bunch of paper towels too. I hate having to stock up on all kinds of crazy ish nowadays but I’d rather stack it high for normal price then pay a premium later if I can even get it. I’m sorry for the peeps that want to be ready but have no disposable income.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have things to expend what I'm selling if they don't sell and dollar bills to wipe my ass if I run out of toilet paper, don't worry.

There's always a certain amusement in witnessing someone melting down over how a free market works.

NSSF estimates more than 5 million new firearms owners this year. There's a demand. Not everybody lives on the same budget as you. You can jawache about primer costs all you want, some people have a life to not queue up at Academy every morning for opening and online retailers are selling 1k max limits with strict shipping and almost $40 hazmat fees and even that sells out in 5 minutes. We get it, you built a mausoleum of lead to bury yourself in. Not everybody did.

FYI, a site sponsor has been selling .223 for $1 a round without so much as a peep from the likes of you.
    All good points. I noticed that ammo ad weeks ago and thought much the same.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    LMAO!
    Ya gotta use more than one square Gator.
    I did stock the attic with the good stuff over a week ago when I saw stores beginning to remove it from the shelves. Bought a bunch of paper towels too. I hate having to stock up on all kinds of crazy ish nowadays but I’d rather stack it high for normal price then pay a premium later if I can even get it. I’m sorry for the peeps that want to be ready but have no disposable income.

No worse feeling than a first pass break thru !

There's them that will have guns,ammo and T.P to guard the T.P. with and then there's ones without,

But they have 1K cell phones and all kinds of games to zombie out on...Let them use leaves !

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Their really is no reason to pay crazy high prices for ammo and the people who say they can’t find ammo are just lazy and not putting forth the small amount of effort it takes to get it. Sure you can’t stroll into academy at say 5:00pm most days and get what you want but if you make arrangements to get to the store early you certainly can. I wasn’t even going to buy ammo today and I wound up coming home with 300 rounds of .45acp fmj brass for .48 per round and 200 rounds of 9mm for .36 per round and not all of it was from academy.

I think the people paying $1 a round are the folks who want to put little to no effort into buying it and are not experienced in guns. Anyone who has been in this game for longer than this year already knew to build up a stash while it’s plentiful and cheap and more than likely are not the people buying it at ridiculous prices. As long as these idiots keep paying top dollar the vendors who are selling it for that expensive are going to keep selling it for that much. What’s sad is I’m even seeing now some of the shops who kept their prices decent now raising their prices more and more. They clam it’s costing more but simply talking around at the shops who are not raising prices let me know they are full of S$&! They are all getting ammo from the same handful of sources so when I see with my own eyes what shops are paying compared to what they are now selling it for they are making money hand over fist. What really pisses me off is they are already making a ton of money during these times so why be so greedy and raise it even higher. Other than big box stores I know of one local shop still selling ammo for a good price. I talk with the owner often and have had the privilege to see his invoices for myself. Sure it’s a lot more expensive compared to last year mainly the shipping but definitely not high enough to justify selling 9mm for say .60-.70 a round or even higher.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    You know what gets me even more than tge ammo though is the members here trying to sell used guns for higher than what one could walk into a store and buy the gun for lol. And they wonder why they have to bump the thread for weeks waiting for their overpriced used gun to sell

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    Gougers eh? You mean the market price? Manufacturers? We buy our ammo straight from the source and that price is currently 74 cents a round for 5.56. You see many of the manufacturers have contractual fulfillment orders that due to shutdowns will push normal production back likely another year so if you want to cut line and scoop some up beforehand then you have to pay the fee, just the way things are right now. 18 months from now sure things may be back to normal, possibly. Until then you can fight over the small batches that academy gets in, but don't expect certain calibers to be back in stock normally for awhile. Who knows what the new year will bring

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Gougers eh? You mean the market price? Manufacturers? We buy our ammo straight from the source and that price is currently 74 cents a round for 5.56. You see many of the manufacturers have contractual fulfillment orders that due to shutdowns will push normal production back likely another year so if you want to cut line and scoop some up beforehand then you have to pay the fee, just the way things are right now. 18 months from now sure things may be back to normal, possibly. Until then you can fight over the small batches that academy gets in, but don't expect certain calibers to be back in stock normally for awhile. Who knows what the new year will bring
    I wouldn’t exactly call strolling into academy at 10:30am, waiting in line for 2 minutes, then walking back to my vehicle fighting over small batches. I’m in and out of academy 3 times a week buying my limit. Never once waited outside in line or had to fight crowds.

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    I wouldn’t exactly call strolling into academy at 10:30am, waiting in line for 2 minutes, then walking back to my vehicle fighting over small batches. I’m in and out of academy 3 times a week buying my limit. Never once waited outside in line or had to fight crowds.

Yes but it is still a trickle and they are part of a handful of places that can get it in at those prices because of preexisting contracts on ammo. Your local smaller shops? Well they are left to their own devices, many of them in the baton rouge area get ammo from us, marked up ever so slightly in each exchange of hands the end result is street value is hovering about $1 a round for 5.56. That is just that ammo though, manufacturers are working hard right now to try and fullfill the demand for 5.56 and 9mm but that means other calibers are falling further down on the list. It is hunting season now, people are used to their pick of premium soft points in various calibers and grain weights but there is just nothing. 300 blk has been in high demand, 380acp, so many calibers. People are buying guns to fit the ammo they can find, think about that, they are like oh I need to get a 350 legend ar now, or a 6.5 creed more rifle simply because that is the ammo they found. Things aren't changing anytime soon, just hope it doesn't get even more ridiculous. I wish it wasn't the case, wish things were back to normal, but I also can't fault people for doing what it takes to supply the demand.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    It irks me that some of you are so stupid to actually pay $80-$85 for 500 primers, or over a dollar a round for ammo. And to the gouger's out there taking advantage of the situation I hope you have to eat them bullets and can't find toilet paper. Primers were $30-$39 per thousand and bullets were $0.40 per round or less. Rant over.

I'm as annoyed with 2020 as everyone else here, but I have a problem with the sentiment of this rant for two reasons -- both of them related to crapping on people for doing nothing wrong other than living in a free market capitalist society.

First, people buying things willingly are not stupid. We all get to make a choice about what we do and don't buy. Ammunition is not a required purchase for most of us, it's an optional one. Nobody's going into this blind. We all know it sucks, that doesn't make anyone stupid for paying market prices for stuff. It means they've decided it's worth ___ cents per round to train, play or stock up the safe.

Second, I think we're misusing the word "gouging" here. Price gouging is what happens when companies jack the prices of necessary purchases for a captive market with no options. It's remarkably unethical because it's taking advantage of people, very often when they're vulnerable. Buying guns and ammunition aren't necessary purchases and we're not a captive group of consumers. Participation in this marketplace is completely optional, entirely voluntary and the things we're talking about are nonessential. It's about parallel to charging $12 for a beer at a football game. People asking for market or above-market prices is not gouging, it's simply asking for something they may or may not even get... if nobody buys it, it's just wishful thinking.

The market always has and always will use price to balance supply and demand. If the prices suck and the pandemic sucks and it's an election year and demand is far higher than supply, we can get our feathers ruffled with the market price of ammo all we want, but nobody's doing anything malicious asking or paying whatever the current market price is. It's economics 101.

lZok8pG.png

For the people that never get their barrels hot, maybe they're out 50 bucks for the security blanket of having extra box of HST's on hand. For those of us that shoot 10k+ rounds a year, this is a friggin painful experience. But there's nothing we can do about it other than wait it out, so we might as well stop crapping on each other since we're all in this together.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I'm as annoyed with 2020 as everyone else here, but I have a problem with the sentiment of this rant for two reasons -- both of them related to crapping on people for doing nothing wrong other than living in a free market capitalist society.

First, people buying things willingly are not stupid. We all get to make a choice about what we do and don't buy. Ammunition is not a required purchase for most of us, it's an optional one. Nobody's going into this blind. We all know it sucks, that doesn't make anyone stupid for paying market prices for stuff. It means they've decided it's worth ___ cents per round to train, play or stock up the safe.

Second, I think we're misusing the word "gouging" here. Price gouging is what happens when companies jack the prices of necessary purchases for a captive market with no options. It's remarkably unethical because it's taking advantage of people, very often when they're vulnerable. Buying guns and ammunition aren't necessary purchases and we're not a captive group of consumers. Participation in this marketplace is completely optional, entirely voluntary and the things we're talking about are nonessential. It's about parallel to charging $12 for a beer at a football game. People asking for market or above-market prices is not gouging, it's simply asking for something they may or may not even get... if nobody buys it, it's just wishful thinking.

The market always has and always will use price to balance supply and demand. If the prices suck and the pandemic sucks and it's an election year and demand is far higher than supply, we can get our feathers ruffled with the market price of ammo all we want, but nobody's doing anything malicious asking or paying whatever the current market price is. It's economics 101.

lZok8pG.png

For the people that never get their barrels hot, maybe they're out 50 bucks for the security blanket of having extra box of HST's on hand. For those of us that shoot 10k+ rounds a year, this is a friggin painful experience. But there's nothing we can do about it other than wait it out, so we might as well stop crapping on each other since we're all in this together.
    Actually guns and ammo are essential which is why they were one of the businesses allowed to operate when many others were not just a few months ago. Maybe we don’t see eye to eye on this but I think it’s a very stupid decision to buy something for $1 per round when one could wait a couple days and get it for half the price or less by putting in minimal effort. Maybe stupid is a harsh way of putting it but it’s certainly not a wise purchase because some has to have it now instead of waiting a few days to maybe even a week.

The only way I could see someone logically paying extremely high prices is if they are just purchasing their first firearm or they have no ammo at all and they just want to get some on hand. To continue to buy it at those prices solely because they would rather order it online and have it delivered directly to them or because they are under the impression they have to fight massive crowds and disgruntled people to snatch and grab what they can is just crazy. I was ignorant and didn’t even attempt to buy ammo at academy for a couple of months because of the stories I heard of massive lines and never being in stock. Once I decided to see for myself I was pleasantly surprised at how much and how often it was coming in. I’m currently only buying two calibers out of all of the calibers I have firearms chambered in and I easily buy some of that ammo a couple to few times a week one of which being 9mm the other .45 Other calibers I rarely buy unless it’s a specific brand or type of ammo I prefer for a fair price.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Yes but it is still a trickle and they are part of a handful of places that can get it in at those prices because of preexisting contracts on ammo. Your local smaller shops? Well they are left to their own devices, many of them in the baton rouge area get ammo from us, marked up ever so slightly in each exchange of hands the end result is street value is hovering about $1 a round for 5.56. That is just that ammo though, manufacturers are working hard right now to try and fullfill the demand for 5.56 and 9mm but that means other calibers are falling further down on the list. It is hunting season now, people are used to their pick of premium soft points in various calibers and grain weights but there is just nothing. 300 blk has been in high demand, 380acp, so many calibers. People are buying guns to fit the ammo they can find, think about that, they are like oh I need to get a 350 legend ar now, or a 6.5 creed more rifle simply because that is the ammo they found. Things aren't changing anytime soon, just hope it doesn't get even more ridiculous. I wish it wasn't the case, wish things were back to normal, but I also can't fault people for doing what it takes to supply the demand.
    Were talking about two different types of business owners then here. My gripe isn’t about the ones marking it up slightly because prices are slightly higher my gripe is about the ones selling it for double or more of what they could be selling it at and still making a nice profit. I have no problem paying more now because like we both mentioned prices are higher and it’s mainly in shipping. I do have a problem with the prices being double or triple of what they should be and that’s why I chose not to buy it at that price.

Dont get me wrong it’s definitely not as plentiful as it was just last year at this time but it’s also not extremely hard to find and nonexistent for fair prices like some portray. Just this week alone I’ve seen a ton of 9mm, 380, 556, 300blk and so on.
    I also agree it is kind of crazy to think people are buying guns chambered in ammo that’s still plentiful or can be bought at wal mart even any day of the week. I can’t see myself buying a gun solely because I can easily walk into Walmart and buy a couple hundred rounds.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If the cost increase is in shipping we should all chip in and buy a truckload. Take a few pickups with trailers to Illinois (or wherever ammo is made, i think remington is there) and bring a load back!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom