I find it funny.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I live in Houston now but got to talking with someone new here at work who was also from La. and right off the bat I could tell what part of the state she was from when she referred to a water hose as a "hose pipe." Baton Rouge. Aint it funny? She also referred to grocery shopping as "making groceries" so that was also a dead givaway. I've been all over this country and around the world and I've come to realize I can usually pinpoint where someone is from just by the terms they use.

Yous guys = Ohio area
    Ca's, patties and bee (cars, parties and beer) = Boston area
    Yont to? Aight. = Mississippi GC area
    Fittin' ta = Arkansas area
    Visqueen = South La.
    Dowg = Tx.
    Ay? = Canada
    clip = politician

Does anyone else have this amazing gift? Post 'em up!

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    You guys gettin down?

(Inviting your buddies inside your house, not onto the dance floor) - Louisiana

Instead of 2 miles away, we say it is about 5 mins down the road.

Savin the dishes - putting them in the cabinets after washing - S LA too

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    What's wrong with Visqueen. It is a correct term. In the past I have sold many hundreds of rolls of visqueen. It's a brand name for polyethylene sheeting.

The term that always irks me is "crack barrel". Why would anyone want a gun with a cracked barrel? Or the use of the word "rims" to describe "wheels". Both are south Louisiana favorites.

Last edited:

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    What's wrong with Visqueen. It is a correct term. In the past I have sold many hundreds of rolls of visqueen. It's a brand name for polyethylene sheeting.
    Nuttin wrong with visqueen, I've just never heard anyone outside of La. use it. My Pawpaw used to tell me there was a produce called Viscreen (visible screen) and that was where the term came from, but I never confirmed that.

- - - Updated - - -

Where Yat ? - Metairie, LA USA
    I think the term "Ya mom an dem" came from there too.

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Nuttin wrong with visqueen, I've just never heard anyone outside of La. use it. My Pawpaw used to tell me there was a produce called Viscreen (visible screen) and that was where the term came from, but I never confirmed that.

As I said, Visqueen is one of the original brand names for polyethylene sheeting. Years ago I worked at an industrial supply and we stocked the "Visqueen" brand. I sold a ton of it back then.

From Wikipedia:

Visqueen (often misspelled visquine) is a brand of polyethylene plastic sheeting produced by British Polythene Industries Limited, and has become a generic description for any plastic sheeting. Visqueen was first produced circa 1950 by the Visking Corporation, a company founded in the 1920s by Erwin O. Freund for the purpose of making casings for meat products. Visking investigated the post-World War II emerging technology of polyethylene, and developed manufacturing techniques to make pure virgin polyethylene film. Originally spelled VisQueen, the film was an excellent moisture barrier and was marketed to many industrial, architectural, and consumer applications, such as moisture barriers, plant seedbed protection films, building fumigation barriers, drop cloths, case liners, and tarpaulins.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    "going get a coke": This applies to any and all types of soft drinks here in the South.

"going get a soda (or pop)": YANKEES!!! :dogkeke:

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Where y'at from one of the wards in New Orleans along with:
    Zinc- as in wash your hands in the zinc
    Terlit- as in flush the toilet
    Earl- as in change the oil.

Top Bottom