I got free ammo! But....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedOne451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    So a family member cleaned out his closet and sent me approximately 200 rounds of .223, 50 rounds of 5.56 and a few steel mags. Very nice since it was free!

My issue is with some of the .223.
    The brass on some of the rounds is very tarnished and I would like to know if there is a way to clean them and how will the tarnish affect performance.

The rounds are stamped "FC 223 Rem" pictures below.
    I don't expect miracles just want to send them down range.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365779208.916222.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365779208.916222.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 143

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Discolored is no problem. Rough is *probably* no problem, but personally I wouldn't risk it. Especially check the area around the rim/primer, any corrosion there can cause bad things to happen.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Wait for more replies, but I'd take some steel wool to it until it was smooth (and if you have calipers, make sure the case diameter is still uniform).

I've seen some youtube videos of guys trying to "torture" guns by making them shoot dirty ammo. Haven't seen anyone die yet... :)

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've had some pretty nasty stuff happen when firing old handgun ammo that had clearly not been stored properly. I'd inquire as to where this stuff has been kept since it was purchased. The words you want to hear are "cool, dry place."

ETA: you'll probably be okay, but if you shoot a few and it just doesn't feel right (lighter than normal recoil, snappy report, etc..)... I'm sure you'll have the sense to stop shooting it.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Saw plenty of that when loading belts at RJF, and was always advised to toss **** that looked like that into a separate box and not load it.

That's the extent of my experience.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I don't think it's worth the trouble for 200 rounds. If you had cases of the stuff it might be worth testing and cleaning but for 200 rounds I would throw it in the trash.

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Sounds like a problem waiting to happen.

But since we are bayoushooter family; Ill be a pal and take all that junk off your hands.

Lemme know where you want me to pick it up at :)

Swampwood

Long Term "Newbie"
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    Feb 9, 2010
    Northshore Area
    Some of that looks pretty rough. If most of it is in that condition, I might disassemble some and have a look inside. If the powder looks good I'd reload in better cases and thereby salvaging some of the ammo. The top ones don't look bad like the bottom seven, if they'd clean up I'd shoot'em. Just my 2cents worth.

RedOne451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    First, thanks for all the replies.

1. Out of the 200 rnds this only appears on a handful.

2. None of the tarnish is located near the primers.

I'm on the road when I get back home ill inspect the rounds further.

Thanks guys

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Your hands, your face....... You do have a bullet puller don't you? Yank the projectile and scrap that brass. To prove to yourself that you did the right thing, google citric acid bath for brass.

Tod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Sunset Louisiana
    Cats is right on. Its called dezincafication. Pinkish white spots on that dark area. The brass we use in ammo is 70% copper and 30% Zinc. The zinc can start to oxidize and once started can not be stoped. Even after cleaning and polishing it it may look fine but is weaker and may not hold the preasure when fired. use a bullet puller and pull the bullet and scrap the rest.

Top Bottom