I got my CMP Garand

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billy82269

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    DeQuincy, LA
    I received my HRA service grade about a week ago. The Metal is Sweet, but the stock was in rough shape. Stripped it and steamed what I could out, and then used BLO on it.
    M-1.jpg

Now for the Cool part that happened today. I was looking at Ebay and came across this stock. I used Buy now to win it for $80 plus $20 shipping.
    71de_1.jpg

73bb_1.jpg

7774_1.jpg

7590_1.jpg

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    Cool. Let us know how it shoots. I've always wanted to get a CMP garand, just one of those things I never got around to. Need to get off my butt and do it.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Congrats on the Garand! That sure is a purty replacement stock, but I much prefer the original stock. That looks like a Boyds box, cannot tell for sure, but the boyds stock is gonna be a little bit "fatter" than the original, and *might* require some minor sanding to get the trigger group to lock in. If so, just take your time, as you want the trigger group to lock in nice and tight.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    This may sound like a dumb question, but how does one go about obtaining a CMP garand? I have heard something about that program, just can't remember.

I don't know the complete procedure but I do know Louisiana Shooting Association is an accepted club. And it's only $10/yr. ;)

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I joined the Garand Collectors Association. It is either $25 or $35/year but their magazine is worth that alone. I am waiting on a Service Grade SA Garand myself. CMP just starting processing orders placed in the beginning of January. I placed mine near the end of Feb :( I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning. At this rate it might not come til Christmas morning either! :rofl:

http://www.thecmp.org

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Congrats on the Garand! That sure is a purty replacement stock, but I much prefer the original stock. That looks like a Boyds box, cannot tell for sure, but the boyds stock is gonna be a little bit "fatter" than the original, and *might* require some minor sanding to get the trigger group to lock in. If so, just take your time, as you want the trigger group to lock in nice and tight.

There was an excellent article on stocks in the last GCA magazine.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I joined the Garand Collectors Association. It is either $25 or $35/year but their magazine is worth that alone. I am waiting on a Service Grade SA Garand myself. CMP just starting processing orders placed in the beginning of January. I placed mine near the end of Feb :( I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning. At this rate it might not come til Christmas morning either! :rofl:

http://www.thecmp.org

You still need to join LSA even if you join GCA for the magazine.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    when I got my rifles from CMP I was able to send in a copy of my hunters safety course, since there was supervised live fire training. I also sent in a printout off the LADWF website showing the class schedule. It was a quick way to send in my paperwork that day, and not have to wait to participate in a match to send it in.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    when I got my rifles from CMP I was able to send in a copy of my hunters safety course, since there was supervised live fire training. I also sent in a printout off the LADWF website showing the class schedule. It was a quick way to send in my paperwork that day, and not have to wait to participate in a match to send it in.

They let almost anything pass for the marksmanship qualification these days:D. When the Army was running the program, you needed to fire at least 100 shots in competition and prove it with match bulletins.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I have plenty of info. send me an email to dzelenka at couhigpartners dot com and I will let you know about everything that is going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom