I just dont get the 40 cal.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    Not to get into the debate on which round is better however a full size Para .45 acp carries 16 rounds. Sorry Spent Brass, but with some of the mags I have it really carries 19 rounds.
    Still haven't been shot with either and don't want to.

Bryan Guillory
    Louisiana Gun
    225-389-6077

16 rounds?! Thats a good piece of info to have. I was actually wondering what are some of the highest capacity full size 45s. This one is now on the "to look at" list. Thanks!

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Some folks like bourbon, some like scotch.
    Some folks like Ford, some like Chevy.
    Some like thin ladies, some like 'em chunky.

Discussions like this are pointless...........to each his own.............carry on.

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    I like the snappy recoil. It feels like you can shoot, the gun does what it has to do, and you can shoot again faster than with a 45. I sold my 40 because I got hooked on 357 magnum only which made me buy a 10mm because I missed my 40 but I had to go with something manlier. 40 is the gateway drug.

jstokes1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Houma
    .40 is actually a great round. has a good bit of connect energy. mostly around the upper 400 to lower 500 ft/lbs. In most cases, actually more than the .45. its also a quicker round than the .45 by roughly 200-300 fps. i love the .40, its a great intermediate round, and isnt as expensive as the .45.

AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    The .40 S&W is a high velocity round with the right "take-down" power needed to stop an attacker.

My father-in-law is an EMS with Acadian Ambulance and explained to me a long time ago that when shooting someone, you aim for a "solid" part of the body such as the shoulder blade or sternum. When the ballistic hits the bone, the force of the impact dictates if the assailant will knocked off of his feet. This is one reason you should not aim for a belly shot. Hitting soft tissue will not knock you attacker off of their feet.

Also, I spoke to a homicide detective who told me that based on his on-the-job experience, he preferred the .40 S&W because of its effectiveness. He said that he had seen the effects of all calibers and the .40 S&W was by far the most effective.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    The .40 S&W is a high velocity round with the right "take-down" power needed to stop an attacker.

My father-in-law is an EMS with Acadian Ambulance and explained to me a long time ago that when shooting someone, you aim for a "solid" part of the body such as the shoulder blade or sternum. When the ballistic hits the bone, the force of the impact dictates if the assailant will knocked off of his feet. This is one reason you should not aim for a belly shot. Hitting soft tissue will not knock you attacker off of their feet.

Also, I spoke to a homicide detective who told me that based on his on-the-job experience, he preferred the .40 S&W because of its effectiveness. He said that he had seen the effects of all calibers and the .40 S&W was by far the most effective.

:shocked:

Wow, just...wow.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Some folks want a cartridge that's larger than an 9mm, similar capacity of an 9mm, without the bulk of a .45.

Why do some drive a camaro and others a mustang? Because its their money and their preference.

As for a stopping power, only a person shot by both, in the same body location, same make of bullet, same time of day, same clothing, distance, etc, could comment on effectiveness of either round

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    :shocked:

Wow, just...wow.

Seconded!

THIRDS, full of win ..........

I quote a dear friend of mine who is on his way back from "work" and should be on American Soil on Monday.

Student: Why do you carry a 9mm, isn't that Super weak and will bounce off an attacker ?
    Him: To be honest with you I am yet to see a round that bounces off, BUT I can tell you this for sure. Every single person that I have had the pleasure of putting down to rest after shooting them with a 9mm never had a chance to complain of its lack of power after I was done with them. Then again some of us stopped believing in magic fairies and Santa Claus a long time ago .............

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I like the .40 over the 9 in a duty gun because with the right bullets, you have arguably better mass retention through intermediate barriers.
    I like the .40 over the .45 in a duty gun cause I get more rounds on my belt, and the .40 is easier / cheaper to train with.
    It fills that nice middle ground slot between calibers, and with modern bullets, all 3 are effective calibers.

midgetcatcher

Tactical Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    THIRDS, full of win ..........

I quote a dear friend of mine who is on his way back from "work" and should be on American Soil on Monday.

Student: Why do you carry a 9mm, isn't that Super weak and will bounce off an attacker ?
    Him: To be honest with you I am yet to see a round that bounces off, BUT I can tell you this for sure. Every single person that I have had the pleasure of putting down to rest after shooting them with a 9mm never had a chance to complain of its lack of power after I was done with them. Then again some of us stopped believing in magic fairies and Santa Claus a long time ago .............

Fourths!!!! Im not terribly concerned as to whether I knock someone off of their feet....Im a bit more concerned with whether or not my round will effectively penetrate, expand, and create a cavity decent enough to incapacitate my assailant. 9mm seems to do the trick pretty well, not dogging any other rounds of course, just saying its not an inaffective means of protecting ones self. I mean, knocking someone off of their feet would be pretty cool....but then again, Newtons law would dictate that I myself would be knocked off of my feet as well...but then again, I was pretty baked during physics, so I coulda missed something, been wrong before.

AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    When you have a 300lb assailant on PCP or some other kind of drugs, hitting him in a solid mass part of the body with a high velocity round is necessary to give the proper impact to put take him off of his feet. How many times have you heard of these large assailants that absorb bullets and keep coming?

Using the large bones of the upper body to connect with the velocity of the impact and stop the forward motion of the attacker is logical.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I prefer the 9mm for EDC, but in my experience the .40 does better on hard barriers than the .45 does, and tends to have less of a chance of glancing when hitting them at an angle. YMMV.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    When you have a 300lb assailant on PCP or some other kind of drugs, hitting him in a solid mass part of the body with a high velocity round is necessary to give the proper impact to put take him off of his feet. How many times have you heard of these large assailants that absorb bullets and keep coming?

Using the large bones of the upper body to connect with the velocity of the impact and stop the forward motion of the attacker is logical.

It would be logical if you weren't launching something that only had a few lb-feet of momentum. Unfortunately, you're firing a shoulder/hand-fired weapon, and according to physics, that just won't work. Here is a nice illustration for you.

A man absorbs 100% of the energy that a 7.62x51mm projectile fired from an FAL can deliver to him, for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dnnLgmNVQ5I

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom