I JUST SHOT SOMEBODY

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Make that phone call, say the code phrase. Within an hour there will be no evidence whatsoever that anything happened at all. One call that’s all! Then I’d probably go grab some cold ones and a good, greasy burger. I’m probably kidding.

But for serious, I think hotbiggun nailed the correct answer.
    Does Morris Bart handle pro-2A cases?

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I admit up front I do not know the correct answer, but many years ago, I read an article in probably Guns and Ammo or American Rifleman suggesting that in this situation, you should call 911 and say an intruder has been shot in your house and you need the police and an ambulance. And don't say anything else about who did what. You have covered your bases by requesting help and police, and you have not given any information that could be used against you. Then call your lawyer.

If someone has comments about this, I'd appreciate hearing how things in the real world have worked out for others.
    This is why I posted this thread. We're gun people and might benefit from a refresher. Often we're caught up in various distractions and a "drill" could be of some service.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    In a situation like this, I’m wondering if law enforcement will take your entire collection or just the one used in the defensive situation

That ain’t happening.

Don't bet on it. There are reports everyday of confiscations by over zealous government employees. I know it has been awhile since Katrina, but we never thought "they" would confiscate guns before that event. Never Forget.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Don't bet on it. There are reports everyday of confiscations by over zealous government employees. I know it has been awhile since Katrina, but we never thought "they" would confiscate guns before that event. Never Forget.

Not only did they confiscate them, but they also LOST them! Unreal.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Call 911, “someone broke into my house and I protected my family/myself”. Make sure they know the perp/perps are down and disarmed. “Need police and ambulance to my address”. Trying to call attorney…at 0300 hours may not work out. Keep everyone in your household together. When LEO’s/ambulance arrive, make sure your firearm is secured out of sight and not on your person. When they ask about it, direct them to it. Do not let them search your home other than to quickly clear it. Again, keep your family in one room with you, all together, preferably in a room near the front door. Do not consent to your children being questioned. You are the only one who knows what just occurred. Wife and kids were in the bedroom and did not witness. You can give a simple short “I thought I was gonna die” explanation to LEO’s then insist that they take this up another time when your council is present because you’re too upset and frazzled at the moment to be interviewed. “In fact, after we wrap this up, I need to go to the hospital and get checked out. I’ve just been through a very traumatic experience and I want to see a doctor. (I’m on BP meds, I have a heart condition, I have ingrown toenail, whatever)”.Once the coroner does his duty and the body is removed, “I’d just like to secure my home and bring my family to the hospital.” Let them take the gun but ask for a receipt and a card for the actual LEO that takes possession. Secure your home as best you can and go hang out in the ER and buy the time you need to get your attorney on the case and think.
    Don’t just say “I think I might need to get checked out”. Tell them you really want to see a doctor and go to the ER. Keep it simple while there. Short explanations. Someone just tried to kill you and your family and your nerves are shot. There are a million ways you could have injured yourself during the event. Your back is hurting, you twisted your ankle jumping out of bed, you feel short of breath…
    You’ll have plenty of time to juggle the phone between you and the wife while calling your attorney or whomever. There will be documentation as to your condition and complaints which will all be objective, so whatever you tell the nurse/doctor about how you feel is what will be recorded. Law enforcement may insist on following you there and continue to ask questions.
    The best way to dodge the million questions is to answer practically zero. Stick to the simple “ I don’t know, I can’t think straight right now. I better just wait for my attorney.” Other than, “I heard a window break, I grabbed my gun and this guy was coming at me. I feared for my life and my family. I shot him. Then I called you guys”, you shouldn’t say squat. You don’t know how many shots were fired. You don’t remember what you screamed at him, or anything else in particular.
    Thankfully, here in Louisiana, we have laws that protect us when we wind up in a situation like this, but planning ahead is essential for a good outcome. Before and after the event.
    I didn’t just come with this on my own. I compiled advice and suggestions from quite a few people in law enforcement and other areas who train or instruct others.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Call 911, “someone broke into my house and I protected my family/myself”. Make sure they know the perp/perps are down and disarmed. “Need police and ambulance to my address”. Trying to call attorney…at 0300 hours may not work out. Keep everyone in your household together. When LEO’s/ambulance arrive, make sure your firearm is secured out of sight and not on your person. When they ask about it, direct them to it. Do not let them search your home other than to quickly clear it. Again, keep your family in one room with you, all together, preferably in a room near the front door. Do not consent to your children being questioned. You are the only one who knows what just occurred. Wife and kids were in the bedroom and did not witness. You can give a simple short “I thought I was gonna die” explanation to LEO’s then insist that they take this up another time when your council is present because you’re too upset and frazzled at the moment to be interviewed. “In fact, after we wrap this up, I need to go to the hospital and get checked out. I’ve just been through a very traumatic experience and I want to see a doctor. (I’m on BP meds, I have a heart condition, I have ingrown toenail, whatever)”.Once the coroner does his duty and the body is removed, “I’d just like to secure my home and bring my family to the hospital.” Let them take the gun but ask for a receipt and a card for the actual LEO that takes possession. Secure your home as best you can and go hang out in the ER and buy the time you need to get your attorney on the case and think.
    Don’t just say “I think I might need to get checked out”. Tell them you really want to see a doctor and go to the ER. Keep it simple while there. Short explanations. Someone just tried to kill you and your family and your nerves are shot. There are a million ways you could have injured yourself during the event. Your back is hurting, you twisted your ankle jumping out of bed, you feel short of breath…
    You’ll have plenty of time to juggle the phone between you and the wife while calling your attorney or whomever. There will be documentation as to your condition and complaints which will all be objective, so whatever you tell the nurse/doctor about how you feel is what will be recorded. Law enforcement may insist on following you there and continue to ask questions.
    The best way to dodge the million questions is to answer practically zero. Stick to the simple “ I don’t know, I can’t think straight right now. I better just wait for my attorney.” Other than, “I heard a window break, I grabbed my gun and this guy was coming at me. I feared for my life and my family. I shot him. Then I called you guys”, you shouldn’t say squat. You don’t know how many shots were fired. You don’t remember what you screamed at him, or anything else in particular.
    Thankfully, here in Louisiana, we have laws that protect us when we wind up in a situation like this, but planning ahead is essential for a good outcome. Before and after the event.
    I didn’t just come with this on my own. I compiled advice and suggestions from quite a few people in law enforcement and other areas who train or instruct others.
    We appreciate your effort, Mag!
    Thank You!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    911 + "An intruder was shot in my home! Send police and an ambulance. My name is __________, my address is__________. Hang up!
    Do not stay on the phone with 911 operator. Call lawyer, or gun owner insurance hotline.

Do not let your guard down and do not unload your weapon, YET! Do not attempt to give aide or get near the intruder! When the cops get there; do not have the weapon in your hands (unless the intruder is clearly still alive and moving! And announce to them if he/she is)!

Tell the police politely and calmly, that you feared for your life and defended yourself or your loved ones and you will cooperate with their investigation, but that you will need some time to calm down BEFORE you start answering their questions. If they ask for the weapon, surrender it, but, (ask them if they want you to unload it, or if they want to)! Don't pass a loaded and chambered firearm to ANYONE without someone unloading it safely! I'm sure the police would appreciate that too.

Then you do what your lawyer or gun owner insurer's told / tell you.

This^ is what I hope I will do if this ever happens to me. Hopefully, I never have to find out!

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    People have a tendency to say too much . They are excited , they want other people to understand what happened , to believe their story , etc. STFU ! Let your Attorney decide what is important . I don't want to debate concealed carry / self defense insurance but at a minimum you should have the number for an Attorney you know and trust .

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    People have a tendency to say too much . They are excited , they want other people to understand what happened , to believe their story , etc. STFU ! Let your Attorney decide what is important . I don't want to debate concealed carry / self defense insurance but at a minimum you should have the number for an Attorney you know and trust .
    My experience with attorney insurance is you call them when you are in need and the only thing they can do is put you in touch with local attorney. Never had a firearm policy but im sure they are the same. Scam!

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    My experience with attorney insurance is you call them when you are in need and the only thing they can do is put you in touch with local attorney. Never had a firearm policy but im sure they are the same. Scam!
    Some of them are scammy but some of them are pretty valuable with a local attorney available 24/7 to walk you through the process until they are able to arrive and meet with you.

I pray no one here ever finds themselves in need of an attorney for something like this or in a similar situation.

2tix2gunshow

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 15, 2020
    Baton Rouge
    Great advice so far. Insurance is good if you want liability through USCCA, but in reality having your own defense attorney in your phone and 50k you can come up with (like a line of credit) is the best avenue.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    Here's a hypothetical scenario for all of us, but possibly beating a dead horse.
    An intruder breaks in (or worse) and the True American acts within his/her Rights and smokes the POS.

What do you do now?
    Call the police then sit and wait?

1. verify a threat no longer exists
    2. 1st call is for medical assistance for perp..
    2.A-- do not be armed when police arrive
    3. DO NOT SEND TEXT MESSAGES TO ANYBODY
    3.A--do NOT give a statement under duress. You will make a statement at some point, just make sure that you completely understand that you have a right to legal counsel present during that statement and you should exercise that right regardless of how right you pervieve that you are. You should never consider giving any statement of any kind in this situation without 1st speaking to legal counsel. This is not because the police are trying to trick you, the issue is people can say things (and often do) after a traumatic/stressful event and may not understand that the context they are presenting (although in THEIR mind its exacly what happened) can be contradictory to what the facts really are... simply unknowingly misrepresenting the context of facts under stress can (and will be) be a HUGE problem later on.

Top Bottom