I love dogs but.........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Walking my leashed german shepherd in the neighborhood today when a stray medium sized pit bull with a spiked collar came walking up. This is the sole reason I carry a revolver in my pocket while walking the dog (not worried about people so much with her). Pit walked right up to my dog, Wife said don't worry, it looks like they only want to sniff each other. I told her I had something in my pocket if he wanted more. She said you better not. I told her I would not hesitate. Thoughts? Legalities? I don't want to put myself in harms way trying to separate them, and no way in hell am I going to let some stray dog tear up my dog. Legal or civil repercussions defending your dog against a stray?

Please, let's not go down the pits are bad, pits are good road. I only mention the breed to show the dog is a reasonable threat to mine, not a Chihuahua or a pug.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Discharging a firearm in a residential area is probably going to get you in a world of trouble . Just saying ...

Yeah, I know. I'd take the trouble if it saved my dog though. MOTOR51, That looks like a good idea. I think I'll get some of that for round one. If anything, if I showed I tried that first and it didn't work, perhaps people would be more understanding of the firearm discharge in a residential area. I'm just not so sure about pepper spray against an angry dog.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Is that better than Fox 5.3?

Used to get the same question when I worked in LE sales....the freeze has CS and OC in it from what I can remember...CS= Tear gas or Orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile. Used to have officers come in and say they would take a tazer over that stuff anyday, all day long. I trusted them because they actually had to be sprayed with it to qualify for carry.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]I will use this opportunity to shamelessly post a picture of my dog!

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I used to carry a compact baton but now I don't walk my dog in areas that have strays/issues.

I've heard bear spray does wonders too.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Freeze+P works very well on me but everyone has a favorite brand.

I've always been told Freeze+P or Fox. I was given a can of Fox, by a LEO buddy. I haven't had the go-nads to try it yet, but from what I've seen and been told, it is quite potent. However, I agree with MOTOR, it only works, if it works. OC spray wouldn't be my first line of defense.

Top Bottom