i never knew what fear was until today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    my mind is a little messed up still but i'll make it short. been riding bicycles for a few years now for my health. last 6 months i been doing it more serious and try to ride for an hour 5 times a week. only place i could do this was a neighborhood with 15 mph limit. pretty safe huh?

today about 2pm i go ride out there for an hour. felt good about it. i get about 100 yards from my truck and this pickup comes around the curb towards me fast. its raining. he loses control and fishtails. he is at least 200 yards away i i figure he will let off the gas and gain control. no big deal. he does not. plenty of room. wide road and shoulders. he is coming at me very fast. time did indeed slow down it seems. i thought about when i got hit by a train(i was in a big truck) in 2000 or 2001. i did not fear too much for that cause the train was headed for a hit on the engine. but i froze for the train and got hit. still very scary.

this time as i watch the pickup getting real close i though or heard "get out the way or die, its up to you. act now!" i swear the truck is lined up perfectly center with my face much faster than the train.

my fat ass jumped off the bicycle so hard it would put a frog to shame. the pickup truck missed me by an inch. and destroyed the bicycle. a fraction of a second. i'll post about the after math another day. im still a bit freaked out.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Glad you moved fast. Good Lord has a plan for you to keep going. Might want to get down on your knees and thank him.

im not big on religion but keep an open mind about it. i believe what you say. and took your advice. thank you.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Glad you're OK. Can't wait for the aftermath and photos...
    It was time for a new bike anyway, right?

brand new bike. i am a little tired but the reason is things didn't go well for me during 911 call and when the cop got there. well it didn't go the way i would have thought. im gonna talk to a lawyer before i post details. maybe im making a big deal out of it. its a big deal in my eyes and i had enough of this "good old boys" politics out here.

i want to teach this kid a lesson above all. im very limited on lawyer choices locally. this might not be worth a lawyer's time but if you all know a lawyer who would listen to my story maybe i'll give him/her a call.

basically when i read his licence plate numbers to 911(after he stopped and checked on me) he got upset and started punching his truck and left. imo this was hit and run. the cop had an attitude and got upset when i called out hit and run. this is after the cop tracked him down and did nothing but "write him up". o yea, the cop said the guy left cause he was in fear for his life cause i was yelling.

i don't know. i expected an arrest.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    We who ride are only a moment from death every day.

A couple years ago, I stopped at a cross street, a one-way. An elderly gent was across, cat-a-corner, going opposite way. I looked both ways, stood on bike pedal to go, glanced up to see a strange look on guy's face; stopped immediately, just in time to barely be missed by a woman in an old Cadillac, speeding WRONG-WAY, while holding a couple unsecured toddlers on front seat with her arm and NOT even looking forward.

I have also almost been hit by idiots "peeling-out" of on-street parking places on two occasions.

Say your prayers.

leVieux

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Good reflexes! Glad to hear you are still well and with us! Have noticed more hooning around in pickups than I thought possible since I moved here. When I worked at a firework stand one year, it seemed like every Earnhardt hopeful with one just HAD to spin the tires at the intersection.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Idiots and Pickup Trucks

Good reflexes! Glad to hear you are still well and with us! Have noticed more hooning around in pickups than I thought possible since I moved here. When I worked at a firework stand one year, it seemed like every Earnhardt hopeful with one just HAD to spin the tires at the intersection.

Idiots would drive 90+ mph on I-10 every morning in pickup trucks when I worked in NOLA. Vehicles with poor brakes and vehicle dynamics. Inbred mouth breathers don't know this as they tailgate at damned near triple digit speeds. One mistake several cars ahead and T Bob rear ends someone at 75 mph. I'm all for people killing themselves if that's what they choose but leave the rest of us out of the ensuing carnage...

Be careful, guys!

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Idiots would drive 90+ mph on I-10 every morning in pickup trucks when I worked in NOLA. Vehicles with poor brakes and vehicle dynamics. Inbred mouth feathers don't know this as they tailgate at damned near triple digit speeds. One mistake several cars ahead and T Bob rear ends someone at 75 mph. I'm all for people killing themselves if that's what they choose but leave the rest of us out of the ensuing carnage...

Be careful, guys!

+1

I maintain my vehicles pretty well--I thought.

Anyway, my advice now is to bleed the brakes every year or two. I just did the brakes on my 2002 G20 and when we bled them, we got about an ounce of milkshake out of the left-rear caliper. I bought the car a year ago, and it had probably never been bled before. I should have checked it. Luckily, the fluid did not boil or the caliper seize.

PS. I am LOVING! the ceramic brake-pads I used. 500 miles since the change last week and VERY LITTLE dust. This includes hitting some corners in the Arkansas mountains on my way back from Fayetteville. My little 4-door G20 now has less brake fade than any car I have ever owned (2 4th Gen Trans Ams, and a 1988 mustang GT, and 1993 Police Interceptor crown Vic P71) except my Z06.

Brakes. You aren't done changing them until you have fully bled the system!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    now im feeling the injuries to my back and neck from the jump. i will see the doctor today. i can't afford a high dollar lawyer so im gonna fill out this i guess:

http://www.morrisbart.com/case_evaluation?gclid=CKWB2r6Doq0CFcNdTAod-HP_mg

I would recommend a good chiropractor unless you think you actually broke something. An MD is just going to do a bunch of imaging studies and send you home on Lortab. Chiropractor will fix misalignment and do imagine studies where necessary.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I would have to agree with JWG223 about the chiropractor. A few years ago I was rear ended and have some lower back injuries. They brought us to the hospital and did all the scans and tests and wanted to immediately start with the pain meds. Then I was sent to a neurosurgen (sp) and wanted to cut. Hell no. I started checking out different options and found me a good chiroprator. I still go see him a couple times a month and I feel just fine. I have a few pains here and there, but they're manageable. Pain meds just cover up the problem.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I would have to agree with JWG223 about the chiropractor. A few years ago I was rear ended and have some lower back injuries. They brought us to the hospital and did all the scans and tests and wanted to immediately start with the pain meds. Then I was sent to a neurosurgen (sp) and wanted to cut. Hell no. I started checking out different options and found me a good chiroprator. I still go see him a couple times a month and I feel just fine. I have a few pains here and there, but they're manageable. Pain meds just cover up the problem.
    Agree 100%. Pain is your body's way of saying something is wrong. Pain meds just cover the problem. The only time this is acceptable is when the problem has been diagnosed, understood, and treated appropriately.

Fought full contact, got ribs knocked out of place--chiropracter fixed it.
    Lifted weights, Grade I or mild II shoulder AC joint separation--chiropractor
    Auto-accident, (T-boned by a drunk who failed to yield on green), lots of stuff out of place, knife in the chest to breath deep--Chiropractor

Yep, in my experience, they work. The good one's, anyway.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    now im feeling the injuries to my back and neck from the jump. i will see the doctor today. i can't afford a high dollar lawyer so im gonna fill out this i guess:

http://www.morrisbart.com/case_evaluation?gclid=CKWB2r6Doq0CFcNdTAod-HP_mg

First, most attorneys handle accidents on a contingency basis (they get a percentage of a settlement). Don't worry about the cost. YOu're probably better off with a local attorney that will spend time on your case.
    Second, its not time for an attorney yet. Talk to the insurance company first. See how they want to handle it. See what they offer. Tell them you're debating getting an attorney (an attorney will cost you about half of your settlement after the percentage and fees) up front. You have a year to settle, no rush. Be patient.
    Third, LEO on scene has discretion to arrest for hit and run or not. I've seen it go both ways in cases like this. Honestly, whether he is ticketed or arrested in the accident doesn't really affect you. You won't get a penny out of his fines.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    First, most attorneys handle accidents on a contingency basis (they get a percentage of a settlement). Don't worry about the cost. YOu're probably better off with a local attorney that will spend time on your case.
    Second, its not time for an attorney yet. Talk to the insurance company first. See how they want to handle it. See what they offer. Tell them you're debating getting an attorney (an attorney will cost you about half of your settlement after the percentage and fees) up front. You have a year to settle, no rush. Be patient.
    Third, LEO on scene has discretion to arrest for hit and run or not. I've seen it go both ways in cases like this. Honestly, whether he is ticketed or arrested in the accident doesn't really affect you. You won't get a penny out of his fines.

+1, most insurance companies will cover hospital bills without question, and you get @ $1000 mad-money. This is if you just request it. No threat necessary. Insurance companies go up to about $1K in "pain and suffering/medical" almost automatically if you sign off. Their goal is to get a release as quick as possible against the possibility that you have REAL injuries that could cost them tens of thousands later down the road. They swallow the $1000 fee on the chance that they avoid a 1/4mil fee.

When you go to an attoryney, you can expect that they will take about 25% of the settlement awarded to you/the attorney, and you will get a "match" with what your medical bills were, as long as no permanent damage/disability exists, in which case expect more. Most insurance companies will fight until the day, or day before court, when they will then throw out their counter-offer and you will be advised to take it.

BTDT in both cases. Personally, I just take the $1K inconvenience money. It's easier, and you get a check in 7-10 days vs. 3 months. If a few chiropractor bills are all, you come out ahead anyway.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom