I was on TV again. WAFB ham radio segment.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    After work this morning I drove out to the BREC Observatory at Highland Road Park to visit my fellow Ham radio operators from the Baton Rouge Amatuer Radio Club. They were set up for the annual ARRL Field Day contest and I wanted to see how they were doing and get in a bit of radio time if I could. WAFB showed up about the time 10meters opened up and one of the operators turned over the radio to me to use. The first station I made contact with was in Cuba. I then racked up contacts in Virginia, Florida, Texas, Kentucky and a few other states. Meanwhile the WAFB camera was rolling. The segment came out at 5:30 this afternoon. I pop up at 36 seconds in sitting at the radio with my headphones on and then grab my pen to write down a callsign of a contact.
    Link to video-
    http://www.wafb.com/global/Category...Id=4901118&topVideoCatNo=15036&autoStart=true
    I had to cut my time short because I was headed to meet Paul at Manchac Park. I had a good time while I was at the observatory.

Last edited:

Cbro

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Iberia
    Nice, some friends of mine spent the week end operating out of his motor home. I haven't heard how they did yet. The ran a cw only operation. I didnt go, not that much on cw lately.
    Carroll Breaux
    KA5ZHG

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    glad to hear field day is so popular here.. and to hear someone from the forum is active on radio..

Myself.. not so much although now that I am not working, I might get on the rig again..

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I went up on the Comite River where some of my buddies had their field day set up. It was nice back or the river.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    glad to hear field day is so popular here.. and to hear someone from the forum is active on radio..

Myself.. not so much although now that I am not working, I might get on the rig again..

Yep, The Baton Rouge Club got a nice write up and photo in the Advocate too. It's at http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/97248689.html
    I'm active and also a member of the Ascension club. I drove out saturday morning after work to Lamar Dixon to check out their site. I had to leave before everything started but I had a good time in the commo trailer playing with the HF rigs. WBRZ visited the Ascension site and did a segment but I can't find it posted anywhere. Here's a pic of me infront of the new commo trailer.
    002-8.jpg

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    For those who always gripe about media bias on gun stories, I'd like to point out this story as an example of the same type of ignorance behind many of those slanted reports. Notice that the lead says that people "got their hands on some high-tech equipment," then the first shot is a telegraph key - not exactly high tech.

Still, it's nice to see that the event got some good publicity.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    For those who always gripe about media bias on gun stories, I'd like to point out this story as an example of the same type of ignorance behind many of those slanted reports. Notice that the lead says that people "got their hands on some high-tech equipment," then the first shot is a telegraph key - not exactly high tech.

Still, it's nice to see that the event got some good publicity.

I forget exactly what show weather it was Leno or the other guy , (Dave ? ) . They had 4 guys doing a contest 2 were using cell phone texting across room while the other 2 were using morse code . You guessed it the code guys won by a mile. Not required by Ham operators any more, but has been useful for many years especially ships at sea.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom